Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

Diagnose a Visual Suspension issue...

We park our coach at home on level ground, so jacks aren't always deployed between trips.

Seems that this leaning began after I'd had both slides out for a month.

Could just looking at the photos suggest that the issue is air bags or springs or what? We can't tell that there's a lean while driving, but the photos were taken while the coach was idling, so air pressure and bags were full.

Hope the photos are enough for somebody to educate me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	181684   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	181685  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

Make sure to evaluate it on several different surfaces that you think are flat. I find often times I think something is flat but it has a slide grade which gets magnified with a big RV sitting on it.

If you determine it is truly off-level I don't thing there is much anyone can tell you without crawling underneath and looking at things.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #3

First impression is a leveling valve out of adjustment.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
First impression is a leveling valve out of adjustment.
Assuming that those are hydraulic, and knowing that the coach is 13 years old, and guessing that the excess counter-weighting from deployed slides might have caused a form of leak-down....

I need to learn where to find them, then...

Are leveling valves able to be re-aligned, or do we replace them? Is replacing a DIY job, or are high-pressure hydraulics involved?
Old 11-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #5

I would believe that it has a air bag suspension on each corner. Walking back from the air bag, the air line should be connected to a valve. That valve will have a rod that is connected to the axle. That is the air control valve. Their should not be any air leaking when the coach is sitting level in the normal configuration. There are a number of adjustment configurations so I can't tell you how to make an adjustment IF there isn't an air leak.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

Is it tilted when driving?
Old 11-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Is it tilted when driving?
I feel zero tilt while driving. If truth be known, the seat seems to want to slant the other way (uphill from what the photos show), but I'm old and the back isn't as straight as it used to be...but the feel from driving the coach both before and after the tilt, seems to be the same.

My guess is that it does not tilt while driving. My bride doesn't feel a tilt, either, and her balance is perfect.

No tilt while driving, but tilt while sitting, idling. is that possible?
Old 11-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

The stronger air compressor pressure with the engine at higher rpm while driving might indicate an air valve.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
The stronger air compressor pressure with the engine at higher rpm while driving might indicate an air valve.
Good point. We should be able to check that theory by revving the engine while parked, right?
Old 11-02-2017, 05:23 AM   #10
RV LIFE Support Team

Did you put a level to it to see if there really is a tilt sincce you don;t feel one?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:47 AM   #11

I would take the coach to a reputable truck alignment shop and get them to check out the air suspension. While this could be a DIY job, but it is filled with danger for those not well versed in air systems.

If your coach is truly leaning, then the logical components to check would be the Ride Adjustment valve, the airbag itself and associated air tubing.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I would take the coach to a reputable truck alignment shop and get them to check out the air suspension. While this could be a DIY job, but it is filled with danger for those not well versed in air systems.

If your coach is truly leaning, then the logical components to check would be the Ride Adjustment valve, the airbag itself and associated air tubing.
We live a good bit away from any truck alignment shop, which is why I'm trying to set up a list of possible causes for a DIY effort. My skills are modest, but I'm lucky enough to have a guy that is very mechanically-inclined that loves to work on projects.
Giving him a list of possible causes will save him time, so thanks for the pointers.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Revving the motor should do nothing if your Two air gauge needles stay up, if not you have a leak. Hardest is finding a level spot as most areas are set to drain water. To generally see if level, find a level spot. Get to the front or rear, either side. HAVE a weight on a string, line up the side of the string with the side of the MH holding your arm away from you. This will tell if the MH is out oh level but won't tell which side. Measuring on the frame side to side is OK but 1/8" is an inch and 1/4 out of level over the 12' height of the coach. Might first lube adjustment rods if out of level, might just be hanging up. If adjustment is needed just shortening or lengthening of the rod will do it. Be careful being under the RV.

LEN
Old 11-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
We live a good bit away from any truck alignment shop, which is why I'm trying to set up a list of possible causes for a DIY effort. My skills are modest, but I'm lucky enough to have a guy that is very mechanically-inclined that loves to work on projects.
Giving him a list of possible causes will save him time, so thanks for the pointers.
Once again I want to caution you and your friend that working with the air suspension can be very dangerous. IF your coach is like mine, 3 air valves keep the suspension bags inflated, and they automatically correct for coach lean as you drive. If the suspension is "aired up" and you accidently hit one of the valves you could cause the entire coach body to suddenly drop or lean, and possibly pinning someone under it. A second concern is a airline coming loose when someone is under there. High pressure air could suddenly hit you.

I still recommend you plan a camping trip, and schedule an appointment for a reputable shop to do this work. If your coach is on a Freightliner Chassis, I would recommend a trip to Gaffney, SC and let the Freightliner factory look at it. They are good, and they stay pretty busy doing this type of work, so plan ahead. Besides it is beautiful in South Carolina this time of the year!

Safety is my #1 concern.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension