Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #1

Question Diamond Shield IBM film

We had the clear film on our 2006 Winnebago and after about eight years it started failing. The front of the RV look like it had been splattered with mayflies but you could not clean it off it was underneath the film.
During repair for a minor fender bender we had the film removed completely and the paint underneath was still perfect. I don’t know how it held up after that because we sold the RV.
We’re searching for our next motorhome and I’m seeing that the same problem in newer models. I’m wondering if anyone has had that film replaced on an older 5+ years motorhome or are there alternatives? Is there someplace that specializes in this?
joysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Go to the dark green search box in the upper right that says "Powered by google" and type in "Diamond shield". You'll find lots of info on this!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #3

Our current Newmar motorhome has a plastic covering on the front end, I doubt if it is Diamond Shield though. I have faithfully applied Protect-All or Armor 303 on it every three months, and after 8 years it still looks very good. I agree that I have seen many that have that ugly brown mold under it. I don't know if it is because of the protectant that I apply, or if I am just blessed.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had Diamond shield replace ours on our 2008 Discovery and the new stuff they use has a life time warranty
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:54 AM   #5

I removed our original Diamond shield 3 years ago and did not replace it. It still looks good. We had other bodywork and painting done last winter ( cargo doors, slide, & rear cap) by a mobil paint guy and that cost less than most shops charge for diamond shield removal.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have a '16 Newmar and there is what appears some kind of mold/mildew under the plastic film. I found a guy in Tampa that specializes in removing that stuff. Then the COVID got started and I have not made the trip there to get it removed. There are a couple of videos on Youtube showing how the stuff is removed. Looks like a major PIA
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
The previous owner had it removed on my last RV (2005 Monaco) and never looked back. 109,000+ miles on it when I sold it and the front end was still perfect.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
The previous owner had it removed on my last RV (2005 Monaco) and never looked back. 109,000+ miles on it when I sold it and the front end was still perfect.

You live a charmed life, my friend. 109,000 miles and no rock dings. WOW!

We get whacked at least 3 or 4 times a year. Can't imagine what we'd look like without the diamond shield...-Paul
Old 07-26-2021, 04:02 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
You live a charmed life, my friend. 109,000 miles and no rock dings. WOW!

We get whacked at least 3 or 4 times a year. Can't imagine what we'd look like without the diamond shield...-Paul
Speaking of whacked, look at my passenger side mirror - the one that's not there. Also look at the glass on the ground in front of the RV. A newbie camper came into the campground and swung his trailer wide, took off my mirror and broke his glass.

But, the front of the coach looks great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mhfront2.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	337367  
Old 07-27-2021, 05:47 AM   #10

You don’t get rock damage on the front?
Old 07-27-2021, 05:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
We have a '16 Newmar and there is what appears some kind of mold/mildew under the plastic film. I found a guy in Tampa that specializes in removing that stuff. Then the COVID got started and I have not made the trip there to get it removed. There are a couple of videos on Youtube showing how the stuff is removed. Looks like a major PIA
It is a major pita. The body shop where we had it done had to buy a special tool for it and dedicated one guy to the job for 2-1/2 days so they said. Anyhow, it was crackled, so it came off in pieces.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:51 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joysoul View Post
You don’t get rock damage on the front?
The proof is in the picture!

I was told it's a major thing to do. You can do it yourself, but like you said it can take days.

Over on Bill's Monaco forum there are lots of Monaco owners who removed the film and have not had any rock issues since.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
The proof is in the picture!

I was told it's a major thing to do. You can do it yourself, but like you said it can take days.

Over on Bill's Monaco forum there are lots of Monaco owners who removed the film and have not had any rock issues since.

Clearly, Monaco used a different paint than Newmar did. I couldn’t drive out of my driveway without incurring rock chips.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Go camping somewhere in or near Orlando and give Hotties Detailing a call (https://hottiesdetailing.com/). They'll come to you and remove the stuff. I was in Kissimmee had them do mine a few months ago and they did a great job, cost $1K, which seems to be about the going rate. And did I mention they come to you?

Don't let the company name fool you, you're not going to get a bunch scantily clad individuals, just some regular people who come out and do some good work. I've also had them wash and wax my RV twice in the past couple of years.

I don't have any stake in the company or its people, I'm just a satisfied customer.