Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
I had succes with removal of diamond shield

After reading many posts in many forums, I found an efficient way to remove the entire front shield completely in 4 hours

1. Wait for a nice warm day with the sun beating down. (I didnt say I didnt sweat). I did not need a heat gun, steamer or scraper
2. Peel up a corner with your finger nail and start to pull slowly. Once you have a good start, take both hands and grab the shield and pull with arms while leaning back using your weight.
3. Whenever you hit a brittle spot, slow down and pull it back into the large piece you have in your hands. The adhesive will come off with the shield.
4. Once it is removed use an AES Smart Eraser ( available on amazon - I bought a whole box and only needed one of them to remove the leftover residue.
5. Follow instructions on the type of drill, roughing it up and watching that you dont go past the wear markers which are well marked
6. Take several clean soft cloths and Goo Off to remove the the residue. Just simply dampen cloth with Goo Off and wipe over areas you had to buff with eraser. No rubbing it just wipes off.
7. Wash off and check for missed spots of adhesive
8. Apply protectant wax etc of choice

The eraser does not need any marks in the paint. None!

I had a pitted area on a fender flair, that when I pulled off the film. It also pulled off the paint. The paint was cracked underneat and was attached to film, not the paint.

My RV looks like brand new. I could paint the front end twice for the price of this junk.
Bnb144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
I peeled diamond plate off my MH, just curious, would any of you put it on again? I definetly would not!
I understand DS now has a lifetime warranty. I'd read the warranty and the exclusions very closely. If I felt comfortable with the warranty, yes, I'd use it. But that's the only way I'd use it. I figure after 6 to 8 years they'll be replacing a lot of the crap on their dime.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #17

We tried to remove our diamond shield without success. Just had Line X applied over the awful moldy mess. It looks fantastic on our Fleetwood Revolution. We'll never have Diamond Shield again.
Jarhead1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #18

Don't get me started on DS. And yes they do now offer a lifetime warranty. But they won't guarantee you will not get paint damage when removing, and will not cover any damage to the paint. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to find a place to take it off. I've seriously thought of LineX as an alternative since now they can pretty much match the color of the coach.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #19

We are very pleased with our Line X. Did a good job with color match. Knowing that nasty looking mess is gone..........well worth it.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead1967 View Post
We tried to remove our diamond shield without success. Just had Line X applied over the awful moldy mess. It looks fantastic on our Fleetwood Revolution. We'll never have Diamond Shield again.
Any pictures of the Line X applied over the DS? Would like to see what it looks like. Thanks
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #21

I have never posted a pic and have no idea how!!! If I can figure it out, I'll do it!��
Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I ha e a new 2015 itasca meridian with that crap on the front. I'm thinking of taking it off now, before it becomes a crazy problem.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
I ha e a new 2015 itasca meridian with that crap on the front. I'm thinking of taking it off now, before it becomes a crazy problem.

If you are inclined to do so, the sooner you do it the better from an ease of removal standpoint.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I would like to see some pictures of the Lin x as well when you have time.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #25

Met an RV screen installer with an 02 and he had the Line X sprayed on the front in black. Make sure they clear coat it. Looked great.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Met an RV screen installer with an 02 and he had the Line X sprayed on the front in black. Make sure they clear coat it. Looked great.
I hadn't heard of clear coating it. What's the purpose of doing that? Just to make it shiney?
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I hadn't heard of clear coating it. What's the purpose of doing that? Just to make it shiney?
As explained to me, clear coat will prevent it turning white as happens in truck beds.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote