RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 01:20 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
EddieLo, if your 460 is like mine, you should have 2 serpentine belts. The one you broke runs the alternator and the air pump. This belt is the outer belt and it also goes around the fan and water pump. The other belt (inner) runs the power steering, A/C and it too goes around the water pump and crank. Probably both of these belts may be the original as well as the heater/radiator hoses - may be time to change them all.
Ken, so there are TWO serpentine belts, right? Any idea what the numbers might be? Are they the SAME? I want to order online but when I went to Amazon, it didn't seem to help. Unless I'm inputting in wrong information. I put: "1996 Ford 460 7.5 engine serpentine belts" but I'm not getting too much information. Any suggestions? Maybe I should go to a Ford dealer. But will they be able to help since my MH is 21 years old?
btw, I'm sure both are/were original belts. And if the belt I broke also runs the water pump, how come I didn't overheat? And yes, I"m gonna replace both.
Thank you!
EL
EddieLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 01:24 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
I am going to guess that those pops were the serpentine belt breaking, then the broken belt was being slapped around a bit until it finally fell out completely.

Glad you have it working. Suggestion: if you change the remaining belt(s), you might want to keep them in the coach storage as emergency spare(s).
Charles, I doubt that popping was caused by the belt. It had a distinct sound. I think I can distinguish a sound made by a broken belt. This was not that kind of sound. btw, any idea what the numbers are on those two belts?
Thanks for your input
EL
Old 01-29-2018, 04:45 AM   #59

Go to NAPA Auto and input your VIN# to look up parts.

Once you get a #, maybe Amazon can cross it over for you.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is a picture of my 460 engine showing the routing of the v-belts Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3938.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	190462 My v-belt number for alternator is Gates K060505, v-belt for power steering, water pump is Motorcraft JK6602. The upper radiator hose is Motorcraft KM-4941, lower radiator hose is Motorcraft KM-4969, and the lower by-pass hose is Gates 21909. As you can see both v-belts go around the water pump pulley/crankshaft pulley. In all likelihood all of your belts and hoses are original and I would change them all. I bought all of my belts and hoses from RockAuto in July 2014 but as twinboat mentioned, NAPA would probably be a good source as well. Good luck.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #61

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No EMERGENCY START SWITCH?????????
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:31 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
No EMERGENCY START SWITCH?????????
Hi THenne, it DOES have an emergency start switch. However, I am brand-new to this model and I had not read the manual thoroughly. Now that I've found it, I can see where it may have helped me. "you can get the engine running by using the emergency start switch. The 12volt battery that powers the 12-volt circuit in the living quarters is mounted behind the front bumper with your main automotive battery that is located by the engine. The emergency start switch on the dash works like a built-in jumper cable that temporarily connects this auxiliary battery to the main automotive battery. Push the button on to make the battery connection and, then, turn the ignition key. Release the button when the engine starts. You may also have an optional second auxiliary battery." (that I don't know.)
Old 01-29-2018, 11:38 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Here is a picture of my 460 engine showing the routing of the v-belts Attachment 190462 My v-belt number for alternator is Gates K060505, v-belt for power steering, water pump is Motorcraft JK6602. The upper radiator hose is Motorcraft KM-4941, lower radiator hose is Motorcraft KM-4969, and the lower by-pass hose is Gates 21909. As you can see both v-belts go around the water pump pulley/crankshaft pulley. In all likelihood all of your belts and hoses are original and I would change them all. I bought all of my belts and hoses from RockAuto in July 2014 but as twinboat mentioned, NAPA would probably be a good source as well. Good luck.
I went to my friend's body shop and his parts man ordered the two belts. One is K060505 which works the alternator and the air pump. I didn't get the JK6602, instead, I got the Gates K060675 for the fan, the a/c, and the PS. I did not get any hoses, but thanks for the reminder. I'll get them tomorrow. My mechanic will install all this coming weekend when we will be getting mid 70s temperatures. Perfect weather to work on the MH.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #64

Not sure if you found this or not however here is the Gates webpage for your F53 chassis

Also, the procedure I pointed you to in post 17 (1st link) for checking the charging system would have found the bad/missing belt in step 5.

Here is Service Manual information for 1997 F53 chassis manual (listed under F super duty in that era). I use the 1996 - 1999 digital manual ($9.95) myself for ref info,
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:42 AM   #65

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most receipts will disappear in 90-days if exposed to light; photocopies are best, but many AP stores now maintain computer warranty records too.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:48 AM   #66

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hope you have answers and resolution/ solutions by now, but visual inspections can often answer many questions, even if unknowledgable about engines.... most can see the shiny pulleys of a missing belt, or shredded remnants of broken belt, or physical damage where belt was thrown off... My wife was often very good at pointing and saying "WHY does that look funny or so/ so?" (or finding the bolt I dropped in the grass.)
Old 01-31-2018, 01:16 AM   #67

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TIP: The Emergency Start Switch can also use the Chassis/ Engine battery to BOOST the Coach battery so you can start your coach generator, should your coach battery run down too far
Old 01-31-2018, 05:46 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo View Post
Doc, the final outcome is that it was NOT the battery. I was NOT the alternator. Rather, it was a missing serpentine belt. It had broken off somewhere on 242 freeway. But my question is if it had no serpentine, why did I still have power steering? And isn't the water pump also connected to the serpentine belt?
I thought that as soon as I read about the popping sound.
Don't feel too bad I had a similar problem, alternator not charging, battery good. Even went and bought a refurb alternator, went to remove the old one and thought, hold on what is that loose wire doing, hmm looks like it matches that ring connector with only a stub of wire left on it...........
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:53 AM   #69

My rig is a 99 daybreak with the Chevy motor. Same kind if thing happened to me right after I bought it. Ling story short turned out it was the battery. Pulled a house battery that had different posts in it. Disconnected the chassis battery. Used jumper cables and was able to drive it home safely. So many different things can cause the same effect.
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator