Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I Change ALL of my Filters Every 15,000 Miles -Regardless !
207 K on the clock and My Engine Runs Awesome ! 6CTA8.3 .
My suggestion ? Always Change your Filters based on Mileage !
Frankly, for the cost of an engine, I'll go by the manufacturers written statements of two years!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 08:36 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I check my air filter at every oil change which is every year. If you pull it out and it is dusty then instead of blowing it out, just replace it for the cost of the thing.

Mileage isn't always the key because you can run into some very dusty conditions on various trips compared to others.

In 30 plus years of running trucks in very dusty conditions I have never found one filter minder to work as advertised.

To the OP, are you sure that you engine is not being overfilled with oil. If the engine was dusted I would think there would be a significant amount of oil going though the turbo and exhaust and it would be smoking.
If you ran it a little past the 3 quarts down does it still keep going down?
I think some of these engines do have a bit smaller pan on them and maynot take as much oil as others.
When I change the oil in my ISC 8.3 I put in 20 liters including filter. If I put more than that in it will push it out the tube. On alot of Cummins engines in trucks I have run you had to sometimes recalibrate the dip stick to where the engine would run at without adding oil.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpkr View Post
Yes loss of power and loss of oil. They are doing a rebuild with the engine in. A rebuilt engine and the cost of removing the engine and putting the rebuilt engine back in is very costly, more than a rebuilt. I will find out what caused this for sure. I have been adding oil on our trips over the four years we have had the bus. I had Cummins in Tampa check,it out and they said there was nothing wrong with the engine. I have it now at Cummins South in Ocala, Fl.
If I add the 24 qts of oil that the Cummins manual indicates is the capacity, I will lose about three qts in the first 1,000 miles. If I add 20 qts, my engine is happy and I lose no more oil. This has worked for 75,000 miles over 14 years.

Perhaps the above is the problem with your oil useage? Too much added at oil change?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #32

American Coach Owners Club
Dean,
I think we passed this road way back when . My old 8.3 is the same as yours - any more than 20 qts with a new filter and she pukes. 20 qts and it stays there for 15 k when I change it .

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #33

Are we all reading the same thread? His engine is using 6 quarts of oil in 300 miles and some of you don't think it needs rebuilt?

Wow.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Are we all reading the same thread? His engine is using 6 quarts of oil in 300 miles and some of you don't think it needs rebuilt?

Wow.
Not the case if the OP is using that much oil in 300 Miles ? He needs to get it to a Shop asap !
Leak Down test - Which will provide answers !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #35

Air filter

The engine is re-built and waiting on the new manifold. The mechanic showed me the cracked ring. There was a lot of dust / dirt in the housing / tubes for the air filter. I learned a valuable and expensive lesson. I am throwing away the filter minder as that is useless. I will Chang the air filter every other year or every year. Make sure the clamps on the hose / pipes are checked on a regular basis. I believe dust was the major culprit being sucked in thru the loose hoses / tubes plus the air filter not being changed in five years.my air filter is a sealed unit not the changeable cartridge type. Thanks for everyone's input. This RV Forum is awesome. Ken 2001 Dutch Star 8.3 Cummins 330 hp with a turbo.
Culpkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpkr View Post
The engine is re-built and waiting on the new manifold. The mechanic showed me the cracked ring. There was a lot of dust / dirt in the housing / tubes for the air filter. I learned a valuable and expensive lesson. I am throwing away the filter minder as that is useless. I will Chang the air filter every other year or every year. Make sure the clamps on the hose / pipes are checked on a regular basis. I believe dust was the major culprit being sucked in thru the loose hoses / tubes plus the air filter not being changed in five years.my air filter is a sealed unit not the changeable cartridge type. Thanks for everyone's input. This RV Forum is awesome. Ken 2001 Dutch Star 8.3 Cummins 330 hp with a turbo.

Glad to hear you are getting things resolved and most important, that you understand what caused the problem and how to avoid similar issues in the future. Expensive lessons, but part of the deal.
Happy and Trouble Free Trails,,,,
Old 06-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #37

If you read your manual, it says every 2 years or mileage which I don't do, so for a few extra dollars, change the air filter.
TWO GYPSIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #38

I have not changed ours in 8 years 45, 000 miles. I guess its time.
I know the ops situation is resolved but I was going to tell a happy ending oil guzzling story. I was driving a diesel truck and was experiencing fumes in the cab so I suggested that the blow by tube be extended to the rear of the cab. Anyways shortly after it was done the truck was going through gallons of oil quickly. Problem was a clogged blow by ....removed the extension and the engine went back to normal.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I have not changed ours in 8 years 45, 000 miles. I guess its time.
I know the ops situation is resolved but I was going to tell a happy ending oil guzzling story. I was driving a diesel truck and was experiencing fumes in the cab so I suggested that the blow by tube be extended to the rear of the cab. Anyways shortly after it was done the truck was going through gallons of oil quickly. Problem was a clogged blow by ....removed the extension and the engine went back to normal.

Your not the first.
I was called to investigate an oil consumption problem on a Nat Gas powered Cummins ISC years ago driving a small gas compressor. The owner called me and said the service company wanted to rebuild the engine and they wanted a 2nd opinion.
Well, when I arrived the engine was in pieces and everything looked virtually new. The engine had only about 8000 hours on it and Normal life span on this engine is about 30K plus. (7500 hours per year running 24/7)

As it turns out the operator decided to extend the breather tube about 18" into a bucket to keep it from dripping on the floor of the room. He did this by slipping another tube into the ID of the original. The restriction was so much that the crankcase was drained overnight along with a 30 gallon day tank. The floor of the room was covered with 35 gallons of oil.
Instead of doing some investigation and first checking crankcase pressure or a cylinder leakdown test, the mechanic decided to dismantle the engine and rebuild it.
To make a long story short, the service company ended up paying for the rebuild and the mechanic learned a valuable lesson he would not soon forget. He used quite a few towels getting the egg off his face.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Your not the first.
I was called to investigate an oil consumption problem on a Nat Gas powered Cummins ISC years ago driving a small gas compressor. The owner called me and said the service company wanted to rebuild the engine and they wanted a 2nd opinion.
Well, when I arrived the engine was in pieces and everything looked virtually new. The engine had only about 8000 hours on it and Normal life span on this engine is about 30K plus. (7500 hours per year running 24/7)

As it turns out the operator decided to extend the breather tube about 18" into a bucket to keep it from dripping on the floor of the room. He did this by slipping another tube into the ID of the original. The restriction was so much that the crankcase was drained overnight along with a 30 gallon day tank. The floor of the room was covered with 35 gallons of oil.
Instead of doing some investigation and first checking crankcase pressure or a cylinder leakdown test, the mechanic decided to dismantle the engine and rebuild it.
To make a long story short, the service company ended up paying for the rebuild and the mechanic learned a valuable lesson he would not soon forget. He used quite a few towels getting the egg off his face.
And a few towels to clean up the oil to ugh.

Interesting read......
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel