Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Fidelity Investments has a Visa with 2% cash back on ALL purchases to any Fidelity account
True, I use the Fidelity card the most. However, for all fuel purchases, I use the PenFed Cash Rewards card as, again, it gives me an immediate 5% reduction on fuel purchases on my monthly bill.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #44

Bank of America 5.25 percent cash back on fuel. It does require qualifying deposits at BOA or Merrill Lynch to get that. Otherwise it's 3%.

We use it creatively. Bought a gift card for some big items from Home Depot today. Purchased the gift card at a Speedway gas station using a Speedway loyalty card. So 2% from Speedway stacked with 5.25 from BOA = 7.25%.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #45

we have a Penfed 5% card that we use when we can swipe at the pump. We use a Sam's Club card for 5% when I cannot swipe at the pump.

The difference is Penfed takes off the savings on each bill. Sam's Club gives a rebate Check in February each year. Sam's club also gives back 3% on dining and lodging, not camping fees.
Mooshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #46

Not really a credit card, but Fred Meyers fuel rebate program is great. Up to $1 per gallon off up to 35 gallons.
In the past 2 years I have had it I could count on one hand the times I have not saved $1 per gallon. Makes 3-5% look pretty skimpy. Won't work for everyone to be sure, but does for us.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post
Penfed cash back Visa gives me 5% rebate automatically every month credited to my bill for gas that I pay at the pump. Now Costco just switched to Visa, AND they let you use ANY visa card at their gas pump...so you get the lower Costco pump price, PLUS 5% rebate from Penfed...you can't beat it.

For all my other charges I use either my Capital One Quicksilver MC or my USAA Visa...each give me 1.5% back on every purchase. I just had to spend $10K on repairs...1.5% was a very nice rebate.

I've had the PenFed card for years and years. It is the best deal out there for gas purchases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I just looked and I don't see it either. Doesn't look like they still offer it. I also checked my PenFed statement, I am still receiving my 5% cash back but I wonder how long it will be until that gets changed?
When we first got the card in 2010 they gave 5% back on gas, 3% back on groceries, and 1% back on everything else. About a year later they changed it to 5% cash back on gas only. The other discounts went away.
Sign 'o the times, I guess....
Question for all those who posted about 5% for PenFed. I have the same card, but my discount is not 5 PERCENT, it is 5 CENTS! Big difference. I've had the card for a number of years. Can you check and see if it is 5% or 5 Cents?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #48

Mine is 5%
Mooshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:40 PM   #49

Mine is 5% swiped at pump
Old 04-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Question for all those who posted about 5% for PenFed. I have the same card, but my discount is not 5 PERCENT, it is 5 CENTS! Big difference. I've had the card for a number of years. Can you check and see if it is 5% or 5 Cents?
Scot & Laura, if you have the old discontinued green PenFed Cash Rewards card as I showed in a previous post, yes, as others above me have said, it is 5% and not a 5-cent rebate.

If you look at your statement, you'll see that they actually apply the discount/rebate directly toward each transaction. It's not given against the total of the billing amount.

Since they round "down" to the nearest penny no matter if it's above or below .05 cents, each fraction of a cent is kept by them or withheld from us. Therefore, the true discount is probably more like 4.999% or thereabouts as they do not round the tenth of a cent in the standard manner, i.e. any fraction of a penny below .05 the penny amount remains the same, .05 or above is rounded to the next penny. PenFed does not do this as they round the fraction of a cent in their favor. So each individual transaction done in this manner may save PenFed a substantial amount over tens of thousands of transactions through many years. Or so I guess. I'm not a math wizard.

Still, for us, it's better than having to meet thresholds or wait for the rebate as just about every other credit card rewards program requires. It's a true cash discount which we prefer.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Not really a credit card, but Fred Meyers fuel rebate program is great. Up to $1 per gallon off up to 35 gallons.
In the past 2 years I have had it I could count on one hand the times I have not saved $1 per gallon. Makes 3-5% look pretty skimpy. Won't work for everyone to be sure, but does for us.

Doesn't do much good outside of the PNW though. Although when I have a discount banked up it typically is not when I am in the RV. So I just fill up my car or truck & have a few 5gal fuel cans on hand to use up the rest of that 35 gallons and toss it in the RV when I get home, heh.
-BigRed- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
Good Sam at flying J and pilot. Citi visa Costco card gives 4% back on all fuel up to $5000 and those are the ones I use most. Nice thing is you can save five cents a gallon with the Good Sam and still get the 4% back with the card. Downside is you have to spend your rebates at Costco.
I second this quote, been doing this with my gas MH. You do not have to spend your Costco rebate there. I cash my rebate check at Costco and get cash. I use the credit card and the rebate on everything.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Scot & Laura, if you have the old discontinued green PenFed Cash Rewards card as I showed in a previous post, yes, as others above me have said, it is 5% and not a 5-cent rebate.

If you look at your statement, you'll see that they actually apply the discount/rebate directly toward each transaction. It's not given against the total of the billing amount.

Since they round "down" to the nearest penny no matter if it's above or below .05 cents, each fraction of a cent is kept by them or withheld from us. Therefore, the true discount is probably more like 4.999% or thereabouts as they do not round the tenth of a cent in the standard manner, i.e. any fraction of a penny below .05 the penny amount remains the same, .05 or above is rounded to the next penny. PenFed does not do this as they round the fraction of a cent in their favor. So each individual transaction done in this manner may save PenFed a substantial amount over tens of thousands of transactions through many years. Or so I guess. I'm not a math wizard.

Still, for us, it's better than having to meet thresholds or wait for the rebate as just about every other credit card rewards program requires. It's a true cash discount which we prefer.
I just double checked my statement, and wait . . . I can do this . . . . please don't tell my wife . . . I WAS WRONG, Whew, that was hard, but I DID it!

My discount IS 5%, not 5 cents/per gallon as I had originally stated.

Thanks to all that corrected me!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
We're "Most Timers" (10-11 months/yr) my fuel bill last year was $2607 my card, Amex Blue, gives me 3% cash back. I saved a whopping $69. The main reason I use the card is the 6% I get back on groceries, $300 saved. Gas Buddy is fine but if you have to drive an extra 20 miles to save a few cents it's probably not worth it. However I agree that any fuel you buy at a station at the exit from the interstate will cost you .10-.20 more per gallon. I haven't stopped at one in the last 7 yrs. If worse comes to worse just use the business route through town and grab the first station you see a mile or so from the exit. You might also see something of interest.
Save travels
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Couple of questions. Is the PenFed 5% cash back for gasoline still available? I only see 5 "points" and according to the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature Rewards Program info:
"Points do not have a cash value, are non-transferable, and cannot
be purchased or sold for cash.
"
Is there another card they're offering only to PenFed existing members?

Also, do groceries purchased at a WalMart super center qualify for the 3% cash back on cards that offer that for grocery stores?
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #56

I have the 5% Pen Fed card and use it for diesel purchases on our annual cross country trips from California to Connecticut. Over the years we have been doing the trip, we have found those stations where you can pay at the pump AND get in and out with a 40 ft diesel pusher with a toad. The best bet is Loves, but they are not nation-wide. But, the good news is that more and more we are seeing rv pumps at the truck stop side of stations that take Visa cards.

Dick L. ‘04 HR IMPERIAL
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel