RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel coach with no slides.

There have been several people posting in the past that wanted a coach with no slides. I was looking at something else when this popped up. I think if you are looking for a premium coach with no slides this is a steal. It is a 1996 Foretravel. For those who don't know I would consider Foretravel to be one of the top 5 makers.
#054362 - 1996 Foretravel U295 36' **DIESEL** for sale in Kennedale TX
I just thought I would share.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
That Foretravel is a beauty! It's a shame that the generator has no where near the hours it should to have been properly exercised. In fact looking at the odometer, I don't think that unit has seen much use at all unless someone did a lot of full timing at one or two sites a year... 30k miles for a 20 year old coach.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
That Foretravel is a beauty! It's a shame that the generator has no where near the hours it should to have been properly exercised. In fact looking at the odometer, I don't think that unit has seen much use at all unless someone did a lot of full timing at one or two sites a year... 30k miles for a 20 year old coach.
Diesel coaches and generators survive lack of use much better than gas units. If it was checked out it would be a steal for that price.
Bill
Old 11-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Diesel coaches and generators survive lack of use much better than gas units. If it was checked out it would be a steal for that price.
Bill
Agreed... the problem is the other things. While diesel engines and generators are not harmed by long idle periods, the problem is the lack of the exercise to keep moisture out of the generator's windings (I'm sure you already knew that). The engine could be fine, but other components of the drivetrain, especially rubber items like seals, may be in trouble. As you said a good check out would be the key. Still is a beautiful coach though... great find!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #5

The Foretravel looks gorgeous in the photos.

But (there's always a 'but' isn't there), low mileage and low hours on a generator could indicate that the coach has been stored sitting idle for several years. That would not be a good thing. Let's see, 20yr old coach with 30k miles; avg 1,500 miles per year. It seems logical to assume that somewhere within that 20-yr period, the coach has been idle for an extended time. As someone has mentioned, seals may be dried out. Rodents may have nibbled on wiring. That being said, this could still be a great find for someone if they spend the time and money getting the coach inspected by someone the potential purchaser hires and having engine oil + trans fluid sent to a lab for analysis.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

This unit has already sold, :-/ I still have a question though. The NADA was $16k plus options, so say $20k, the price was $40k and this post indicated a "potential good deal". I have just started my search and reading so I welcome other people's experience. How much should I pay attention to NADA? I read on one post, NADA x .79 was a figure to try to achieve for a "good deal", near wholesale pricing. TIA
C2DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
This unit has already sold, :-/ I still have a question though. The NADA was $16k plus options, so say $20k, the price was $40k and this post indicated a "potential good deal". I have just started my search and reading so I welcome other people's experience. How much should I pay attention to NADA? I read on one post, NADA x .79 was a figure to try to achieve for a "good deal", near wholesale pricing. TIA
C2DJ
This has been discussed somewhat in the thread listed below. NADA is a guide, but every coach I looked at was priced much more than average retail on NADA.

That is the problem with private sellers that are advertising on free sale avenues like Craigs List. I have found that on CL the average price for a car or RV, or boat, what ever, is about 20-25% over the street actual value if they are not in dire need to sell. I think that happens because the ad cost them nothing. If they were paying for an ad in the local large city newspaper, they would price it right so they did not waste their money on the ad.

I just bought a 99 Newmar DP and I ended up paying between average retail and low retail. I feel that I paid UP for it, but did so willingly because it is in near perfect condition and needs nothing for us to hit the road.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/best...-a-316513.html

Good luck,
Jim
Old 11-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well not a problem it is sold.
Bill
Old 11-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2DJ View Post
Well the sad truth is the NADA numbers are made up, they have nothing to do with reality. The whole system is based on a computer algorithm dealing with depreciation. They don't monitor sales or market conditions.
I would start monitoring places like PPL Motorhomes where you can see what different coaches sold for and look at what people are asking.
Like cars some coaches have a higher residual value or a point where they stop depreciating. Look at the difference between a 20 year old Corvette verses a 20 year old caprice. When you were looking at the NADA site did you follow the links to outher Fortravel coaches for sale?
You say you have just started your search. What is your budget? My recommendation is to look at better quality used coaches versus new entry level. You will get more quality and not ne hit by that big depreciation when you drive it off the lot.
Bill

Tags
diesel, slide