Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #1

Smile Diesel Exhaust Heat Shield

I have seen many diesel pushers have a heat shield clamped on a diesel exhaust tip that directs the exhaust down. I find that my toad has diesel soot and heat damage from the exhaust blowing directly at it. I have not been able to locate this exhaust shield. Does anybody have any suggestions on protecting the toad from the diesel exhaust if the heat shield is not available?
dvoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #2

It's not really an exhaust shield, just an exhaust tip.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
How about a turn down for your exhaust. Or a 90* bend to turn it to the side. I saw one with a "stack", I personally thought it was tacky.

Happly Motoring
Don & Sue
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

I may need to change the tip to a turn down and point it out to the side. I just saw many MH's with the shield that basically was clamped of the existing tip and hang in front of the exhaust to break up the stream of heat and diesel soot from getting on the toad. Looks like a snap to install versus changing the existing tip that needs to be the proper length before the turn and be also may be welded on.
dvoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #5

these are available in a variety of diameters and from a straight pipe to a full 90* elbow.. they are available from most auto parts stores... if you find someone with a parts catalog and look in the back of the paper catalog looking at accessories available... I ordered my WALKER exhaust extension from rockauto.com in a 4" pipe to fit my vehicle... its chrome but that didn't matter to me.... I think it was $25 or so.. I'd bet, both Summit Racing or Jeg's Racing would carry them as well... they are very popular for diesel pickup owners..
Old 11-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My coach has the shield you're looking for. I believe it's a Freightliner part. It just clamps on. The reason they use it, is because the interior pipe gets so hot it could be a burn hazard.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:17 AM   #7

Well,
I kinda wonder why your engine is putting out that much soot? Is it soot for sure? Or, are you putting out a bit too much oil mist from your slobber tube? Our exhaust tip is out the rear, about 20" in from the passengers side, and we've towed five toads with it so far. Three Jeeps, a CRV and a GMC Sierra and, none of them have ever shown any signs of soot. Just wondering.,
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, heat