Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel Fuel Additives

I was talking to a friend who has a Freightliner Chassis with a Cummings 400 SIL, same as mine and he was recommending I should use a fuel additive. He felt he got better mileage and the engine run better. He recommended "Lucas" Fuel treatment for diesels. Wondering if anyone else has had experience using an additive. We bought the unit last August and it only has about 42,000 kilometers on it. It is a 40 ft 2007 Triple E Empress Elite. Thanks for any feedback it will be appreciated.
604-302-1300
Fourwinds93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 08:10 PM   #2

The only additive a diesel coach NEEDS is a biocide like Biobar JF to kill possible microbe growth in the fuel.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #3

https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/...esults.177728/

The winner for me was #4. Opti lube summer blend. I live in the south. I order it from amazon. $80 per gallon. But that last several thousand miles. I did find an ace hardware in Oklahoma City that carried it much cheaper. But there are very few stores that stock it.
As for fuel economy, I noticed an improvement..... But!! My driving style changes often. Interstate driving I get awful economy, country touring is much better. I’m not using the product for economy, I’m using it to lubricate my injection pump in my 1999 isc350.
Jfrazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The only additive a diesel coach NEEDS is a biocide like Biobar JF to kill possible microbe growth in the fuel.
The only products FreightLiner/Cummins endorse is Diesel Kleen (as of two years ago when we attended a FreightLiner training session - maybe they've added others). Use the silver label in summer and white label Diesel Kleen in winter to also prevent your fuel from gelling in cold weather.

If you are constantly travelling you are flushing fuel through the system regularly and really don't need any additive. But if you're going to sit (storage or seasonal camping) your tanks can develop condensation on the inside, thus giving a place for nasties to grow. To help prevent that water buildup, always try and park (for extended times) with a full tank. The full tank reduces the amount of moist air in the tank as well as the surface area above the fuel that can promote condensation.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:17 AM   #5

I am a believer in Diesel Klein by Power Service. Not only does Freightliner and Cat recommend it the folks who work on my chasis etc. recommend it. I for sure but the winter anti gel Diesel Klein in about November.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:26 AM   #6

It's all snake oil! No engine manufacture designs and installs a engine that recommends fuel additives for normal operation. It's like taking decongestant medicine for a person that is feeling fine. Fuel additive marketers will try to convince buyers otherwise, but their only goal is to sell their fuel additive product. Now if your fuel is not up to the standard, like algae growth, then you may need additives or better yet just drain out and replenished the fuel.
People will make claims that they experienced some kind of improvement in their engine performance. These claims are based on feelings and not actual engineering data/testing. I experienced engine testing during my auto career and fuel additives were no benefit and sometimes detrimental.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Each to his own opinion I use nothing but Opti Lube. Lots of good test data on their website. You can buy it direct from them or on Amazon
Old 07-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #8

Mel
Your friend likely didn't see better mpg's but there are other benefits. Diesel fuel doesn't always have enough cetane so many use an additive to be sure.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #9

Real difference is the fuel you purchase
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #10

Each time this topic comes around there are believers and non believers. I'm one of the non believers. Over 55 years of owning diesel engines and no fuel additives except an anti-gel for the winter months. Our diesel combines sat for 9 months and worked hard for 3. Just added clean fuel. Clean and fresh fuel is the key to a trouble free fuel system. No need for additives.

Note: The main benefit of fuel additives is that the owner feels better.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Diesel Kleen because my 2002 Cummins was built before ultra low sulfur fuels we're required. I'm just trying to make up for the lubricating qualities that are missing in the new low sulfur fuels.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all your advice, insights and feed back. It is appreciated. One of you and I couldn't find your post suggested a study that was done which was very useful. Turns out the additive that he recommended had the lowest rating. I will be calling him and passing on the link from your post. Thank you. Sounds like something "Yoda" would say "Do or Do Not", may or may not be a benefit only time will tell but won't hurt either. Thanks again everyone for your feed back.
604-302-1300
Fourwinds93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourwinds93 View Post
Thanks for all your advice, insights and feed back. It is appreciated. One of you and I couldn't find your post suggested a study that was done which was very useful. Turns out the additive that he recommended had the lowest rating. I will be calling him and passing on the link from your post. Thank you. Sounds like something "Yoda" would say "Do or Do Not", may or may not be a benefit only time will tell but won't hurt either. Thanks again everyone for your feed back.

For my money, Opti-Lube is the best. Check out the test results. They have a variety of products to fill all your needs no matter where you live or how you drive.
Hollardawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Note: The main benefit of fuel additives is that the owner feels better.
Nailed it, Crasher! (But I do use biocide during storage in Florida - I FEEL GREAT!)
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel