Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #29

I wonder how much damage this fuel will cause to the Mercedes Sprinter based class B and Class C motorhomes? My owners manual says not to use diesel containing more than 5% Bio. Newer models can take limited fill-ups (occasional) of up 20% but requires an accelerated maintenance program (more frequent oil and fuel filter changes). Warranty repairs can be denied for not using specified fuels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
It’s bio fuel? It’s all over the west coast, Oregon just about all station has bio fuel remember Cummins only permits 20/80 mix ( 20 biofuel )

Zzotte

Anyone have a link to Cummins' specs?

Specially, I'd like to see for my 1995 era B5.9L 12V 230hp.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 08-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Anyone have a link to Cummins' specs?

Specially, I'd like to see for my 1995 era B5.9L 12V 230hp.

I don't have the spec but I spoke with a Cummins tech years ago about my 2001 330 ISC and he said 5-7% bio and that was all.

Later, Cummins approved Diesel Kleen and I use it religiously.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #32

Well the hole country sucks now and it is going to get much worse.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #33
pjb

Renewable

RichardE explained it very well. The renewable product is refined very similar to how crude oil is refined. Biofuel is chemically treated. I’ve spoken to a contact at 76 again and am now more comfortable with the product.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We avoid biodiesel fuel

Several western states only sell up to 20% biodiesel. I have been told (including by Cummins shops) and have read that biodiesel is not good for a Cummins diesel. I don't know what is in it and how well it has been refined. With all of the problems with DEF and other issues I would rather not take the risk. We always fill up before entering a biodiesel only state and don't fill up again until we are no longer in that state.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:48 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Diesel Fuel Changes

Here's a link to to a presentation on Renewable Diesel from 2016
https://cleancities.energy.gov/files...%20algal%20oil

If that doesn't work, McCormick___Alleman_RD_Overview_2016_07_18.pdf
Old 08-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #36

If it's renewable, do you scoop up your exhaust, send it back to the factory to make more? I wish the west coast would slide into the pacific.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #37

Minnesota no longer sells #2 diesel. It's all boodiesel there.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #38

Here we go again!

Some people do not read the OP carefully and/or all the posts before they enter the thread.

To be clear,

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT BIODIESEL.

RENEWABLE DIESEL IS NOT BIODIESEL.

Any comments should be in reference to RENEWABLE DIESEL only.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #39

Everything is supposed to be going electric any way, sooooooo.........
Old 08-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
My degree is in Chemical Engineering. Let me see if I can translate that article into more understandable terms. I will be taking a bit of technical license, but the concepts are accurate.

Biodiesel is animal and vegetable fat that is treated to precipitate out some of the solids. It is typically cooking oil that has been treated with caustic to cause the heavier solids to fall out of the oil. That is required so that the oil will not stop up the filters or the injectors.

Renewable diesel takes some of the same raw ingredients, plus others from waste byproducts, and treats them very similar to how crude oil is treated in a refinery. In a refinery all manner of chemical processes are used to crack the molecules into carbon based building blocks and reassemble them chemically into the desired end product. After oil, crude oil doesn’t come out of the ground and magically turn itself into diesel, gasoline, asphalt, and jet fuel without some chemical tweaking. Over the years the refineries have gotten very good at tailoring the chemical processes to produce an end product with lower emissions. It is now getting economically feasible to apply those processes to producing very clean burning diesel from waste products, and eventually even producing diesel from natural gas.

An even simpler way of looking at this is Renewable diesel is the equivalent of synthetic motor oil.

Biodiesel gained some popularity because it was cheap for the amateur to make, and Willie said it would help some farmers. Both were true.

Renewable diesel is being made to reduce the Carbon Dioxide emissions from diesel.

The earth is flat, no such thing as global warming/air pollution folks will see this as another conspiracy. They want their leaded gasoline and high sulfur diesel back. Others will see this as a good thing. Technology is being used to provide us with options to still use our diesel burning rigs and reduce the impact of doing so.
Nice of you lump those of us who question global warming/cooling/climate change or whatever the description of the day is with flat earthers & anti solving pollution problems. We know the earth is round and support clean air & clean environment (rivers, seas, etc). Old enough to remember Time magazine cover saying that by the year 2000 the glaciers would be making their way into the US as we would experience another Ice Age. Same people trying to peddle the doom and gloom now. The US has made major strides in reducing pollution. China & India are the biggest polluters in the world. In 2020 the top 100 polluted cities were mostly in India/China. Not one US city made the list.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:28 PM   #41

Not in Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Your engine will run fine. After a few years, the older engines will probably start to falter. It’s the same as what is happening to our small engines using gas with ethanol. Newer diesels won’t have many problems as manufacturers continue to cower to the nuts driving this trend. Good luck. Move to Texas. We have a lot of cheap land for sale.
Mercedes Sprinter has issued stringent restrictions on B-20. Limit to emergency use. Use B-5 at the most!
Old 08-12-2021, 05:45 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
CA is basicly trying destroy itself. Everybody east of CA is sitting back and watching them implode. And the CA officials are wondering why tourisim is down their population & businesses have been decreasing the last few years.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel, fuel