Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Diesel Fuel Storage

Our gas powered MH stays in storage more than on the road. I have heard that diesel fuel degrades over time when in storage, and I have heard that some kind of "bacteria" or something grows in stored diesel fuel. I am totally ignorant of the diesel fuel storage problems. What you y'all do about storing your diesel pusher for long periods of time?

Chief
Seabee Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I put a diesel stabilizer in the (full) fuel before winterizing the coach. I believe it'll last a year. It's no problem whatsover.

I believe gas is less stable over the long term than diesel.

I exercise the generator every month, but don't necessarily run the coach engine until I take it out in the spring.

There's an antibacterial treatment I'll do periodically during the hot humid summer months in the south, but I usually always keep the tank full.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaj View Post
Our gas powered MH stays in storage more than on the road. I have heard that diesel fuel degrades over time when in storage, and I have heard that some kind of "bacteria" or something grows in stored diesel fuel. I am totally ignorant of the diesel fuel storage problems. What you y'all do about storing your diesel pusher for long periods of time?

Chief
There is an algecide you can put in the tank. Best option is to keep tank full to cut down on moisture. Mine stays on the road too much to worry about storage. Longest down time was about 2 months over the last year. Headed to Alaska now and won't home until November so no weeds growing in my tank!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Diesel fuel does not deteriorate like gasoline. The military routinely stores diesel fueled vehicles for years without problems. One thing the military does do is treat ALL of it's diesel fuel with a anti-microbe agent such as Biobor Jf Fuel Additives - Products
Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:

Chief
In your words and in your profile it appears you do in fact have a Gasoline Powered coach. Suggest use of a Fuel Stablizer for Gasoline Engines during storage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline
Old 04-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When I first bought the coach it had been stored for extended time. I had a complete service and inspection done at Cummins. After our first long trip I decided to change the fuel filters and found that the primary was almost completely stopped with a black slime which I assume was algae. I started doing research and asked about an algaecide.

If my coach is going to be stored for extended periods I make sure the tank is full to cut down on moisture and I use a combination of Biobor which kills the bacteria/algae & Startron Enzyme treatment which breaks it down.

Never had another problem.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

Remember that if your storing your unit to make sure the tank is full if you have a metal tank... diesel will dissolve a galvanized surface so the inside of a metal tank is not galvanized... any air space will allow moisture to form on the side and ceiling of the tank and later form rust that can flake off and contaminate a fuel filter... that's why a lot of vehicles have moved to a plastic tank... and of course it's less expensive...
Old 04-10-2017, 04:40 AM   #8

Thanks for all the helpful info, guys. gemert, if you see any Seabees in Alaska, buy them a beer....I'll pay you back later. You can trust me....I'm a Chief! CEC(SCW) RET.

Chief
Seabee Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful info, guys. gemert, if you see any Seabees in Alaska, buy them a beer....I'll pay you back later. You can trust me....I'm a Chief! CEC(SCW) RET.

Chief
You got it Chief! No pay back necessary.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chief, early on in our full timing I ran into a guy whose whole career had been managing a large fleet of construction equipment. I asked him how to handle a diesel when parking for a while. He looked at me seriously and described a 2-step process: when you arrive, turn the key off. Just before you leave, turn the key on. That's it.

Our standard mode for the past 5 years has been about a month or so of travel followed by a few months (2-5) of parking. The only time we've had a problem was after 5-1/2 months parked, but that (we found) was dirty oil, not a fuel problem. Otherwise, all was fine.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
When I first bought the coach it had been stored for extended time. I had a complete service and inspection done at Cummins. After our first long trip I decided to change the fuel filters and found that the primary was almost completely stopped with a black slime which I assume was algae. I started doing research and asked about an algaecide.

If my coach is going to be stored for extended periods I make sure the tank is full to cut down on moisture and I use a combination of Biobor which kills the bacteria/algae & Startron Enzyme treatment which breaks it down.

Never had another problem.
Jim, does Startron have a diesel version?
Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #12

Im not sure about you folks in the USA, but in Ontario some genius decided to start putting ethanol in our regular gasoline. This creates problems storing gas machinery which are seasonal. From what I am told, premium gas doesnt contain methanol. For this reason I started only using premium in all my small engines that sit half the year. Lawn mowers, chainsaws, weed eater ect ect. Also as the end of the rv season approaches, (winter here) I put premium in for the last couple fills so the motor and generator get the good stuff before going into storage. I do this with my boat as well. I also add fuel stabilizer but not getting the ethanol is the main thing. imho
Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
https://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Fuel-T...fuel+treatment

Been using this for years..seems to work great (never had a fuel problem in coach or tractors).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Im not sure about you folks in the USA, but in Ontario some genius decided to start putting ethanol in our regular gasoline. This creates problems storing gas machinery which are seasonal. From what I am told, premium gas doesnt contain methanol. For this reason I started only using premium in all my small engines that sit half the year. Lawn mowers, chainsaws, weed eater ect ect. Also as the end of the rv season approaches, (winter here) I put premium in for the last couple fills so the motor and generator get the good stuff before going into storage. I do this with my boat as well. I also add fuel stabilizer but not getting the ethanol is the main thing. imho
FYI we have the same Geniuses in the USA that put ethanol in our gas also. I thought premium had it also. I'll have to check on that for my small motors also. On edit: I checked, we have two States that allow Premium gas without ethanol, Missouri and Montana. The rest of us are stuck with it.

Tags
diesel, fuel, storage