Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #1

Diesel Gen, smokes

Have a 2003 Bounder with a 7500 diesel gen, has 4500 hours on it. Do regular oil changes and changed fuel filter this year. When first started, it smokes quite a bit, gray/white smoke, after a few minutes it stops and only a small amount of blueish smoke is seen. Has good power and runs 2 roof air with no problem. Wondering why it recently started smoking?
What to check?.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How about the air filter?
Old 07-14-2020, 10:03 PM   #3

You think an air filter would suddenly cause it to smoke for a few minutes on a cold start up?.
It has not been changed in at least 2 years.
Oil level does not drop and there are no fuel leaks at the Gen.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:17 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Could be bad glow plugs, but the smoke usually goes away before 2 mins run time.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:03 AM   #5

Usually white smoke is a sign of a lean mixture. Blue smoke at start up could mean leaking valve guide seals.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:45 AM   #6

Since you said it isn’t consuming oil, perhaps it needs new injectors after 4500 hours. Smoke after warm up can be caused by incomplete combustion, usually caused by weak injectors creating a poor spray pattern.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:04 AM   #7

The smoke at initial start up is considerable, after a few minutes of running there is almost none. The minimal amount after startup I am not concerned with, it does not use any oil or go up in level from leaking injectors, it's the cold startup cloud I am worried about. If bad injectors, they don't seal up when you run a few minutes.. 4500 hours on a Quiet Diesel gen that's 17 years old really isn't much considering it sits idle for about 7 months a year here in NY, but is started and run every month under a small load to exercise.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #8

With glow plugs, there is one for each cylinder.

If one or more are bad, the engine will start and burn clean on the cylinders that they work on and smoke on the cylinders that are still cold.

You can check each glow plug with an ohm meter, after removing the wire.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:39 AM   #9

I've checked and changed them on my Duramax truck.
This is starting up between 80-90 degrees here, so probably not even needing the glow plugs to warm up cylinder. Gen fires off as fast as a gas model now, if plugs were bad, wouldn't it be harder to start?.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
I've checked and changed them on my Duramax truck.
This is starting up between 80-90 degrees here, so probably not even needing the glow plugs to warm up cylinder. Gen fires off as fast as a gas model now, if plugs were bad, wouldn't it be harder to start?.
Offering simple , free things to check.

I have a marine diesel that will not start, on a hot day, without glow plug heat.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #11

Understood, but as I said, it fires off fast after it primes. Will ohm out the plugs, easy enough to do.
I thought white smoke was a sign of air getting in the fuel system, but there are no fuel leaks anywhere, and it would be hard to start if air were getting in somewhere I would think, and it would not go away in 5 minutes?.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #12

Generally, white smoke at start up on a diesel indicates a cold engine. You mention it clears up after a minute or so, considering the hours ( over 4000), I wouldn’t worry.

Tags
diesel