Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2021, 04:54 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Diesel Generator not starting

My generator is only making a clicking sound, all batteries are fully charged, fuel is full. Went to start and nothing but a clicking noise. Will be heading out in Jan. for Fla, from Plymouth Ma. Want to have this up and running for heat reasons. Both A/Cs are heat and A/C.
Jacklamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 05:15 AM   #2

Give us a little history... was it starting easily before and a new problem?
How long have you had the MH?
When I was new to my DP I got confused by the diesel gen. Seems it started right up a few times and then later wouldn't start. My bad as I simply wasn't holding the start button long enough for fuel to flow and preheaters to do their thing when temp was a little cooler. The clicking may be fuel pump running?
As a point of info, A/C heat pumps are not very effective below 40°F and you will likely need to run furnace at that time of year... at least getting started from NE.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:16 AM   #3

Check what voltage you are getting at the generator. Just because the batteries are charged does not mean the voltage is getting to the generator.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #4

Ditto on holding button longer, had that problem on a previous coach.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #5

Click like like one loud click or rapid clicking. ?
The starter has a true starter solenoid , no solenoid on starter. It powers starter motor. The starter should spin to engage. Solenoid could be bad or starter. But connections and ground should always be checked bad connections will just drop out at heavy draw. My generator is harder to start if batteries are at low end than my engine.
On my Generac 75D I could bypass solenoid and put a jumper pos. cable from rear to starter pos lug . Starter is grounded to frame with mounts. There is a lower trap door to starter.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklamb View Post
My generator is only making a clicking sound, all batteries are fully charged, fuel is full. Went to start and nothing but a clicking noise. Will be heading out in Jan. for Fla, from Plymouth Ma. Want to have this up and running for heat reasons. Both A/Cs are heat and A/C.
Well,
We'd need to know what year/make/model/chassis/engine of the coach in question. You see, with that info, we can provide a potentially more accurate answer than just a generalization. And, what kind of weather conditions were/are you trying to start this generator in?

You see, in some, maybe close to all of the diesel gens, there's an *ECM* that controls many parts of its operations. And that includes its starting characteristics. For instance, in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, we have the 7.5QD Onan diesel gen.

And, based on the actual ambient temp, the little Kubota 3cyl 14HP diesel engine in that generator will NOT START immediately, if the weather is below a given temp. And, the colder it is, the longer time it takes to start.

What happens is this. Unlike most, if not all later model big engines in the coach, those little gen diesels have GLOW PLUGS. And, those glow plugs need to HEAT UP to a given temp, prior to the ECM, allowing the starter to turn that little engine over. In a given temp, the glow plugs take a given amount of time to warm up. The colder it is, the ECM tells the glow plugs to take longer to heat up.

Onan, in the service and owners manual, has a chart on the time frames for pre-heating, BEFORE the starter is allowed to engage. I can't recall the temps but, below say, around 50 degrees, it might take about 5 seconds of holding the start button. Below 40, it might take around 10 seconds of holding the start button, and below say, 30, it might take around 20 or so seconds of holding the start button, BEFORE the starter is allowed to engage. Those are guess's since I don't remember the actual numbers.

Now, is this your problem, well, without further info, again, we all can suggest this or that but, we need more info to provide more accuracy.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklamb View Post
As others have said, hold down the start button longer. I came from a gas generator to now, a diesel. I applied same starting logic to diesel, as gas: hold down prime button till it flashes, then start. Doents really work on a diesel on a cold day. Don't use prime position. hold down start button and you hear the clicking. Generator primes, heats glo plugs, then starts. Made me feel foolish when I went back to my sales guy and he showed me proper way to start it
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 05:08 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Was able to get it started with the recommendation to hold the button down longer, it was cold and needed more time as suggested. Thank you all for the responses back. All were very helpful.
Jacklamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #9

Congrats on the easy fix.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:19 AM   #10
YC1

Glad you solved it.

Times and a rough start can happen if any of the glow plugs go bad.

In your case, it sounds like you were just not patient enough.

Sometimes in really cold weather I will press the button and then release it after a few seconds to restart the cycle. After about the third press then I will continue to hold it.

Don't know if this can damage the glow plugs but I have had to replace one or two. Did them all of course while open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-heat times Onan Generator.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	349981  

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator, not starting