Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudntherd View Post
If I buy again it will be a Foretravel with a tag axle.
Have you looked at Motorhome of Texas? They seem to have a good inventory of used Foretravels.
I look frequently. We are just now ready to buy. Like most places their inventory is not what it used to be.
Chief Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2020, 10:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Drive a big Monaco (pre 08/tag axle) before you buy. I still do the 1500 miles to CO in 2 days. Had a good tailwind couple summers ago and came home in 1.6 days.
I just missed driving a country coach magma... sold before I could take a look

I know the HR’s of that vintage were very highly thought of... if one pops up before I buy something I was planning on driving one.

I did drive a 2012 HR 40... something .... as we all know totally different then the older ones.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:22 AM   #17

DEF is like unleaded gas was in the late 70's and early 80's. I've had engines that did and do not require DEF. Look at all the posts about DEF, and then imagine all the folks who do not mention DEF, and are getting good service out of their RV. Which is greater? Take care of your RV and it will last a long time. Neglect it, and you will have trouble with any system on your RV.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:50 AM   #18

:Think about your use of the coach. Are you going to drive two hours and park or be putting 15k plus per year? No engine or system likes sitting. Diesels are happiest working hard running down the hiway. So if you are planning on few miles go with a pre DEF coach. However if your plans are to go truckin' and see North America then DEF all the way. Good luck on your choice. My preference would be Newmar or Entegra because of their wall construction. JMO

Good luck and I wish you many happy miles.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:00 AM   #19

My 2 cents -

Either go pre EGR and pre Def which puts you at 2005 (maybe 2006) or earlier.

Or, go later DEF which puts you at 2017 or later.
bentjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:43 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
The DEF issue is primarily in 2016+ motorhomes. That is when the EPA mandated that sensors constantly monitor the "quality" of the DEF. When the sensors indicate the DEF concentration is off, they set in motion an engine derate condition which will eventually limit your forward progress to 5 mph and/or strand you beside the roadway. There are problems with those sensors in some motorhomes. No one knows why yet.

But, I think the magnitude of the problem is amplified on forums such as this one. There is one owner's group in particular that constantly has threads dedicated to this problem.

I would love to see some comprehensive data on 2016+ model year motorhomes. How many are there, and how many have had the problem. That information doesn't appear to exist.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
The DEF issue is primarily in 2016+ motorhomes. That is when the EPA mandated that sensors constantly monitor the "quality" of the DEF. Those sensors have problems in some motorhomes. No one knows why yet.

But, I think the magnitude of the problem gets amplified on forums such as this one. There is one owner's group in particular that constantly has threads dedicated to this problem.

I would love to see some comprehensive data on 2016+ model year motorhomes. How many are there, and how many have had the problem. That information doesn't appear to exist.
Any issue is a PITA, don't you think, Pre DEF, engines, also have issues, just not DEF related, Sometime progress doesn't move us forward - JMHO
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:52 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Any issue is a PITA, don't you think, Pre DEF, engines, also have issues, just not DEF related, Sometime progress doesn't move us forward - JMHO
Yes, of course. I'm currently running around in a coach that is old enough to apply for its own driver's license. It has it own set of problems to deal with. It just goes to show...it's always something.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Yes, of course. I'm currently running around in a coach that is old enough to apply for its own driver's license. It has it own set of problems to deal with. It just goes to show...it's always something.
My 2005 built in 2004 is just applying for it's learners License - - But even with age these Things/RV's/Coaches/Beasts - allowed us to escape the Covid Lemons that were served us this Year - Almost 12,000 miles in the Coah this summer and another 8-10,000 in the Toad, What a Great Country to see.

Especially when these RV's Double as Quarantine vehicles

I had more than my share of age related issues - sure glad I did not also have to deal With DEF.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
had both gasser and diesel pusher. Beware the repair costs on DP's. IN most cases will be 60% higher for repairs than a gasser when you can find a diesel mechanic. Parts are even more. If you need the space and weight then a DP is worth it.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Chief Deputy --

As others have stated, to get a pre-DEF motorhome means purchasing a 2007 or older model. Being 13+ years old, that age motorhome may not be in the best condition, may have electronics that need to be upgraded (e.g. replace an analog television), etc.

It just so happens that PPL Motorhomes in Houston (a large consignment dealer) has a 2007 Travel Supreme 45DL24 that is well within your budget and per the photos looks to be in great condition. It may be worth you time callling PPL Motorhomes to discuss this coach and if it sounds good to you, make the seven hour drive to Houston to look at the coach -->
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...mited_rv-45726

PPL also has a 2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528 at their Dallas location that is in good condition (furniture has very visible wear in the photos) that would also be woth considering --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...-aire_rv-43987

Of course you can purchase a diesel coach with DEF system. I don't know how frequently DEF system problems occur, but thus far I've had zero problems with my DEF system. There are several very nice 3-4 year old coaches in your price range.

Good luck and have fun shopping!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:34 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The DEF vs non DEF is like the leaded vs unleaded discussions years ago. The bottom line is it makes no difference in buying a coach, get the one you want.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:08 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
USMCRET

Exactly the kind of data i was hoping to find. Apparently I don't know where to look or it doesn't exist.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:35 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Chief Deputy --

As others have stated, to get a pre-DEF motorhome means purchasing a 2007 or older model. Being 13+ years old, that age motorhome may not be in the best condition, may have electronics that need to be upgraded (e.g. replace an analog television), etc.

It just so happens that PPL Motorhomes in Houston (a large consignment dealer) has a 2007 Travel Supreme 45DL24 that is well within your budget and per the photos looks to be in great condition. It may be worth you time callling PPL Motorhomes to discuss this coach and if it sounds good to you, make the seven hour drive to Houston to look at the coach -->
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...mited_rv-45726

PPL also has a 2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528 at their Dallas location that is in good condition (furniture has very visible wear in the photos) that would also be woth considering --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...-aire_rv-43987

Of course you can purchase a diesel coach with DEF system. I don't know how frequently DEF system problems occur, but thus far I've had zero problems with my DEF system. There are several very nice 3-4 year old coaches in your price range.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

Thanks Mike. One of the reasons for my question is because most people on this forum recommend floorplan as the number one priority. My wife and I like the Dutch Star 4002 and Allegro Bus 40SP, both DEF of course. Now that it's time to pull the trigger on a purchase, I read several posts about DEF problems. Cold feet I suppose...

I feel better after some of the respondents here have DEF coaches with few or no issues. We expect to have maintenance and repair costs and we are prepared for that. I just wanted to ensure A DEF engine was not going to automatically add to that expense.

Tags
advice, diesel