Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #29

starting problem solution

If it helps, I had a problem with my Corvette. The Corvette Forum said it's a common problem in that the contacts in the ignition switch burn. I put in a new switch and in a couple of weeks it started doing it again. I would have to try starting it up to ten times until I got a connection. Someone suggested spraying the key with something like WD40 and insert in the switch, doing this several times wiping the key with a clean cloth. So far, I haven't had any more trouble with it.
hit the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had the same problem with my cummins diesel.

1999 discovery

Everything was working fine.

Went out next day would not start - turn over - click - nothing

Worked all day called discovery cummins Allison.

Finally called a diesel mech. He checked all the suspect areas . Starter solenoid etc.
He thought it was a battery- took main batteries out checked - all were great.
Finally he cleaned all battery terminals and retightened.
Started like a champ. The first thing I should have checked .
Whoachubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
When you replaced the starting batteries, if they were not fully charged, working on the lights and starting a couple times may have took them down too far. You say it was started and shut off shortly after a couple times. It might not of ran long enough to build the charge back up. I would try charging the batteries and see what happens.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
If yours is set up like mine go for the bigger looking one. It should have all the wires going to the starter. Good luck and let us know howe it worked.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just for nothing but did you check to see if the transmission indicates N when you try to start and did you check that the cruise control switch on the turn signal is turned off.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #34
RKL

diesel no start

diesel Fool...the 3 little boxes you looked at attached to a plate next to the frame rail are very impt to the chassis electric 12v system....the box toward the back of the Rv is the main power relay to the 12v Chassis system..Ist test continuity between the two posts on this box...There should be continuity,,If none you can jump across the terminals with a large wire or put the red cables together on one post...the middle box is the relay for the air duct heater and the box nearest the front is the starter relay....you can test this by turning ignition switch to start and jumping the large posts with a wire...If there is power to one of the large terminals and not the other when the ignition is in start position it is a bad relay....remember start at the rear relay.first...to be sure even with continuity there, jump the studs anyways to make sure full power is flow thru the relay...sometimes the copper flap corrodes so bad that only enough power for the lights will pass thru....good luck RKL
Old 07-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #35

Bad starter solenoid as suspected & replaced.
Also brushes in alternator shot. Rebuilt & being replaced today.

Never could determine which 2 terminals to jump solenoid without risking further havoc.

Thanks all.
Diesel Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #36

Entitled LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
Sounds to me like you might check your connections at the starter. Quick easy check is loosen wiggle retighten all connections try it. If it works bad connections remove and clean replace.
As others have said starter circuits are not complicated.
Diesel Fool, You are getting good advise about the connections, etc. I have a Cat too but have not suffered your problem yet. I hate to even say this on the forum because I don't know where the solenoid is, either remote or built in with the starter, but I would find it and tap it with a wood dowel, cut off broom stick or something. You can hit the started too. This can be done with some one trying the iginition/start switch at the same time. If this jarring makes the starter activate, then you are getting closer to your problem area. Maybe some of your frustrations will go away as you abuse your starter. Good luck. T

Tags
diesel