Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2006, 07:02 AM   #1

I posted a question yesterday and can't find it now...So here goes again...When buying a used RV what are the pros and cons of a diesel as compared to a gas engine? Is there more power in a diesel engine? I would appreciate any and all opinions.

Hugs, Blanche
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2006, 07:02 AM   #2

I posted a question yesterday and can't find it now...So here goes again...When buying a used RV what are the pros and cons of a diesel as compared to a gas engine? Is there more power in a diesel engine? I would appreciate any and all opinions.

Hugs, Blanche
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:59 AM   #3

Blanche: The question is how big of an RV do you want, what are your needs and what is your budget? I have owned 3 campers and 2 gas powered Class C's. Each RV fit the needs and budget I have had for the last 30+ years of RVing. We tow the same ski boat we have had for 15 years. The Class C's were fine but I wore them out. A gas Class A would work just fine for my needs now but I always wanted a diesel, so I got one.

Get what you want to meet the needs and budget you have. Only you are making the payments, insurance and license fees. The fun factor is the same no matter what you drive.. Enjoy life!
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:13 AM   #4

Hi poptart, your inquiry will prompt many and varied responses providing a wealth of information. We own a gas coach and are not full timers. The diesel engine definitely has more power and if properly maintained should give you several hundred thousand miles of service, and probably last longer than you'll own the coach. With a rear engine it's much quieter up front. A diesel coach on a raised rail chassis provides large basement storage capacity and would probably be the best choice if you'll be logging high mileage annually. Maintenance cost is usually higher than a gas rig due to greater oil capacity, more filters to be replaced. However required oil & filter change intervals are usually less frequent than that for a gas engine. Depending on coach weight, size of engine and driving habits fuel mileage will be 3 to 5mpg higher than that of a gas engine. However at this writing diesel fuel cost is higher than refular unleaded gasoline. Our prime consideration when selecting our motor home was for a comfortable floor plan that best suited our living needs as it will be our home when away from our permanent domicile. The motive power to get us where we're going was somewhat incidental as either diesel or gas power will do the job. Granted a diesel engine will usually maintain a higher speed at lower engine rpm when climbing grades.

Best regards and good luck in making your decision

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

More power in a diesel? Well, one horsepower is one horsepower, whether generated by a gas engine, diesel or electric motor. But diesels run at higher compression ratios and so are able to generate more power from a given amount of fuel. And they generate it at lower RPMs than a gas engine, so most people feel like there is more power available to them. And diesels come in larger sizes than stock gas engines, so if you need 500 HP to move the rig, diesel is the way to go. But if 300-350 HP will do, you have the option of gas or diesel.

Diesels are much more expensive to purchase and somewhat more expensive to maintain over time. Several filters to replace, 3-4 times as much oil to change, that sort of thing. You can buy a lot of fuel with the cost savings on a gas engine.

One big plus of a diesel powered motorhome traditionally has been that most of them are rear-engine, which puts the engine and transmission noise behind you. However, There is now a front engine diesel (FRED) Rv chassis available and Workhorse has just introduced a chassis that has a rear gas engine as one of its configurations, so the choices have gotten wider.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Blanche,
Your original Diesel or Gas thread is in the Motorhome section and the Genreal Discussion forum. I and others have posted some things for you to consider.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:07 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
More power in a diesel? Well, one horsepower is one horsepower, whether generated by a gas engine, diesel or electric motor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but what about torque. A 400 Hp GAS will have around 400 ft lbs torque, where a 400 HP diesel will have 1100 ft lbs torque. There's the biggest difference.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote