Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2023, 01:36 PM   #1

Diesel pusher burning Jet A

I am wondering if there happens to be any experts in the area of fuel chemistry lurking about in here. I have an opportunity to get a basically free tank of fuel for my Rv but it is Jet A, Not Diesel. Besides the expense does anyone here know if it risks damaging the engine or fuel system components? I know the fuels are very close, but I also believe there are differences.

Engine is a 2001 Cummins ISB 24 valve 5.9 turbocharged.
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2023, 01:49 PM   #2

It'll have more sulfurs and other additives, such as cetanes. More than what is designed for a diesel motor. If caught you could face fines (probably doubtful).

Maybe for a short emergency distance - but I'd be leary about trying to save a few bucks while not knowing if the motor can handle it.

Maybe Cummins would have a better idea about it?
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:01 PM   #3

Jet A does not have the same (and very critical) lubrication characteristics (lubricity) as diesel.

The 3 digit$ you "save" now may cost your 4 digit$ in maintenance later.

I would avoid unless it's an emergency...and then only use the minimum amount, and fill with diesel ASAP.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:02 PM   #4

a quick search online revealed this:

"Jet fuel and diesel fuel both share similarities in composition as well as many chemical properties. With price fluctuations causing fuel costs to vary wildly by type, many are led to ponder alternative ways to power their diesel and jet engines.

Composition
Jet fuel of types A and A-1 is composed of mostly kerosene, and Jet B is a naptha-kerosene mix. Diesel gas is approx. 75 percent kerosene, with added lubricants and a low-sulfur content.

Weight
Diesel gas is heavier than jet fuel, with a higher number of slightly larger hydrocarbon chains, though both are primarily paraffin oils (kerosene). Diesel is more viscous than jet fuels.

Additives - Jet
Jet fuel often has antifreeze and anti-microbial agents, static dissipaters and corrosion inhibitors added to improve performance in aeronautical engines, whose ambient temperature often varies wildly during flight.

Additives - Diesel
Diesel has lubricant additives to promote healthy engine function–using kerosene or Jet-A fuels in a diesel engine may cause damage due to its lower levels of lubricants. Diesel also contains a dye added to prove it has been taxed.

Heat Output
According to Inspectapedia.com, diesel has a higher BTU output and more energy per unit than does Jet-A fuel.

Engine Use - Conclusions
While many attest to using 50-50 ratios of jet/diesel in diesel engines, this will cause the engine to run hotter and have a lower mpg rating. It will also void many warranties by the manufacturer. Jet-A is more similar to Diesel #1, which is lighter than Diesel #2 (automotive diesel), and so is not a perfect substitute, but in emergency situations is a potential fuel source. Jet-A usage will not cause instant physical damage but long-term wear will increase due to lack of lubrication, different burn temperatures and energy output. "

This came from this website "it still runs"

BTW, I won't be using it in my truck.
Parafango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:02 PM   #5

Diesel pusher burning Jet A

It’s not taxed for highway use so may be dyed red. Lubricity may be a concern also.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafango View Post
a quick search online revealed this:

This came from this website "it still runs"

BTW, I won't be using it in my truck.
Noting a couple of errors in this writeup, I followed the link to the cited website. Here is the author's biographical info, which may speak to his/her technical experise:

"Evan St. John is a freelance writer from Austin Texas. St. John graduated from the University of Texas with degrees in English and Linguistics, and is a regular music review columnist on AustinSound.net."
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #7

To the OP, your engine manual should contain a list of "Acceptable Fuels".

In my vintage mechanical C8.3 engine, Jet A is on the list of "Acceptable Fuels".

Your engine is an electronic 5.9 B Block....the list for your engine may be different but it is worth checking for a free tank IMHO.

IF Jet A is on the acceptable list, you might want to consider adding a container of the Cummins approved lubricity and cetane enhancer (Power Service Diesel Kleen).
Old 02-02-2023, 04:14 PM   #8

Perhaps this is a more reliable source?

Use of JP-8 in diesel engines.

The jist of both websites is that it's not a good idea.
The second site, refers to a torque and fuel economy penalty for using Jet fuel in a diesel engine.

Granted the second site refers to JP8 (Military) instead of Jet A, however the conclusion is the same, Can it be done? yes, but it's not a great idea to put Jet A in the tank of a standard truck.
The 15 page PDF file has lots of details of the testing done.
Parafango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:26 PM   #9

What about filling 55gal drum/s and use say 5-10%.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #10

As I understood it, perhaps incorrectly, off-road diesel and fuel oil are dyed red to show it was *not* taxed for road use.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:10 PM   #11

back in the early days like the 50s Kerosene was more available sometimes then diesel. I remember they would add motor oil to the kerosene for lubrication. I dont remember any ratio just that the lighter kerosene or jet a did not lubricate the pumps and injectors and worked more like a cleaner .
I think the jet a may be better used in a space heater.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:25 PM   #12

Perhaps a mix of 25% aviation fuel to standard 75% diesel would be the way to go.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:33 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
The CAPS system on that vintage of ISC is touchy in regards of fuel lubrication, when that engine was built, there was no ULSD and lots of folks here have struggled with the system.

Me? I'd pass. But if I had a place to store it, I'd run it in my non-DPF farm tractor 50% mixed
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
As I understood it, perhaps incorrectly, off-road diesel and fuel oil are dyed red to show it was *not* taxed for road use.

I know off-road diesel is dyed. I would assume jet-A is also. (mentioned in post#5)
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel