Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #1

Help---my husband and I bought a 1998 Safari 40' diesel pusher-with a Cat --we have had it out about 3 times and it overheats under a load--
he has checked the radiator and that doesn't seem to be the problem--
We have never had a diesel before, so any help would be appreciated
bertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #2

Help---my husband and I bought a 1998 Safari 40' diesel pusher-with a Cat --we have had it out about 3 times and it overheats under a load--
he has checked the radiator and that doesn't seem to be the problem--
We have never had a diesel before, so any help would be appreciated
bertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #3

We had a similar overheating problem after traveling to Alaska with all its dust and dirt. A gentle pressure cleaning of the radiator solved the problem.

Several years later it again overheated. A Cummins mechanic checked and told me about a little known problem. The reservoir showed that it had sufficient antifreeze but the cap was not installed tightly. Someone apparently had checked the level of antifreeze and then only partially tightened the cap. For some reason not having a tight seal (vacuum?) caused the sensors to indicate overheating. Just an addition 1/8 turn of the cap and the problem was solved.

Chuck
Old 07-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Bertb, welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're having trouble.

The common things are; radiator fins clogged with dirt, or improper coolant mixture.

We should have some CAT owners along soon with some help.

Let us know how you make out.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #5

bertb, dimes to donuts it is the CAC (charge air cooler) which looks like a radiator and is on the front side of the radiator when looking in while standing outside.

There is an easy test, in the dark one person outside shines a flashlight into the fins while another person inside checks from under the bed to see if the light can be readily seen. If it can not you have blockage.

Solution: wet the CAC down and then with a spray bottle apply Simple Green very liberally. Let sit 15-30 mins. rinse with either power washer or heavy hose spray being careful to stay off of the fins where they can be damaged. If you get a lot bof giunk out repeat treatment until all you see is clear water coming out.

Recheck after dark with the flashlight and you should see mega improvement. This maintenance procedure needs to be done twicee a year and maybe more often if you travel extensively in dusty environments, Good luck, Ken, '04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Here's some additional reading on why the radiator gets so dirty and how to correct it.

Welcome to the forum.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #7

There is a lot of info in this forum relative to how rear radiator diesels get gunked up and need to be cleaned regularly. One of the causes is the engine crankcase ventilation, also known as a slobber tube, which depending on where it's located, can gunk up a rear radiator coach real quick. Read about them here.

Regular maintenance of rear radiator coaches includes cleaning the radiator 2X/year. Use a solvent such as Simple Green, sprayed into the radiator from the rear to the engine side, and if you can get access to the engine compartment, from the engine side to the rear as well.

Do this on a hot radiator, and let sit for 15+minutes. Then flush with a garden hose from the rear to the engine side. Repeat until you get clear water out. Note: pressure washers can bend the fins on the radiator, and are not recommended for this purpose.

This will solve most of your overheating problems, and save you significant $$ if you do it yourself.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #8

I had problems with overheating on long pulls.After cleaning the radiator I extended the slobber tube past the radiator.By downshifting to keep the rpm up I didn't have anymore problems.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
everytime I come back from a trip and wash the coach I flush the Radiator with a strong flow of fresh water. An ounce of prevention is the way I see it.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Another thing that will cause overheating under load is a tiny pressure leak in the radiator - could even be the cap. Won't lose much, if any, water, but it keeps the pressure inside at outside air pressure. Modern radiators are designed to run at higher pressures so the water can exceed the boiling point.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote