Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #1

Diesel Pusher - The three lanyards that expel Air.

Ok so here's my situation and hopefully work around.

The dump suspension air is not working on my coach.

Today I was underneath and saw the three lanyards and thought:
1) one must be for the front brakes
2) two must be for the rear brakes
3) three must be for the suspension??????

Now Obviously I DO NOT want to be under the rig when it is dumping air BUT would it be possible to lengthen that lanyard and simply pull on it to dump the air safely standing by the rig?

Am I even on the right track????
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 10:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My experience with air tanks having lanyards is on trucks. They were to drain water and oil from the air tanks. Even with an air dryer water would condense in the various tanks.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #3

Doubt 1 is for the suspension. You probably have 2 tanks 1 front and 1 rear. 1 of them is probably divided into 2 sides. Called Wet and dry. Believe thats the 3 lanyards. From the outside give them a pull
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #4

I’d say calling your chassis manufacturer, with your serial number ; and asking for an air system diagram is in order.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:51 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I use an awning hook to pull mine from aside of the tires.
ercjr1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:07 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel Pusher - The three lanyards that expel Air.

Keith....
There are three main tanks in the air system, designated as primary, secondary, and wet. Why they are so designated is another conversation. The so-called wet tank may be a separate third tank, but on FL motorhome chassis it is usually a distinct section of one of the other two.
Each of the three tanks has a drain valve to remove any additional condensate that may develop within. So, if you appear to have only two tanks, one of those tanks will likely have two separate drain valves. These drain valves are manual, and are activated by three lanyards installed during build. The lanyards are attached by the chassis builder and then coiled up and secured to some nearby part for transport. Where and how they are ultimately routed and secured for operator access is up to the coach builder.
Those lanyards are there to drain small fluid buildups on a routine basis; they are not designed as a drainage system. But, if held open they will drain a substantial amount of air from the system, subject, I believe, to any safety related check valves in the system. I simply cannot recall the details, and at this time of night I’m not going to climb out of bed to pull out my manuals. Sorry!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:24 AM   #7

It won't work.

Draining the tanks don't let the air that is past the ride height valves and locked into the air bags. That's if there are no leaks.

Air suspension adds and removed air to maintain ride height. If at height, the valves are closed so no air in or out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:07 AM   #8

It could be as simple as a dirt/mud dauber has built a nest in the dump solenoid exhaust port.

4T
4travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:56 PM   #9

Thank you all for your replies.

Today I attached an extension to the lanyards and pulled while I was stand by the coach. I got most of the air out

Interesting thing happened. The coach did not initially drop BUT we are learning our new to us coach and started the jacks procedure. One of the Jacks was not centered on it's board so we retracted them to start over.

Well the coach dropped to "Dumped Air" height as the jacks retracted.

We put the jack back down and all was perfect.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I feel like this ranks up there with Area 51.

Thanks All!!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The air suspension is between the vehicle frame (with the coach body on it) and the axles/wheels. It lifts (or not) between those two. The hydraulic jacks are between the vehicle frame and the ground. When you retract the jacks, the frame reverts to wherever the air suspension was last. In many coaches, deploying the jacks automatically dumps the air from the suspension, lowering the coach closer to the ground for convenience and better jack leveling. If you rise the jacks after the air has been dumped, th coach sits at its lot possible position relative to the ground. Start the engine and the suspension will air up and raise it again.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:11 PM   #11

Here is the Spartan chassis air tank drain procedure.Your MH owner manual should have a similar procedure.
This should be performed prior to every days driving, unless you have automatic tank drains, then once a month works for me. The purpose is to prevent moisture from extending throughout the air brake system, otherwise moisture can cause a brake failure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:43 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post

Today I attached an extension to the lanyards and pulled while I was stand by the coach. I got most of the air out

Interesting thing happened. The coach did not initially drop BUT we are learning our new to us coach and started the jacks procedure. One of the Jacks was not centered on it's board so we retracted them to start over.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I feel like this ranks up there with Area 51.

Thanks All!!
You don't need to purge all of the air from the tanks, just the moisture and/or oil. Shouldn't take more than 2-3 seconds.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:47 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to purge my tanks at road height because on my freightliner chassis it is easier to get the lanyards when the wheels are turned outward.
Quote:

Thanks All!!
Old 07-06-2020, 03:54 AM   #14

Quote:

Thanks All!!
As soon as you lifted the coach, the air ride valves sensed that upward movement, and let air out of the suspension to bring it back down to ride height. Of course it couldn't adjust because the jacks were lifting the chassis instead of the air bags. That's what ride height valves do.

Now when you let it down, with no air in the tanks, they couldn't refill the bags.

So, you found a way to trick the system, but getting the air dump valve working will be easier. They will open when you start using the jacks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, diesel