Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My buddy just bought a new gasser. Nice Tiffin Open Road gasser with great floor plan. He's had 2 DPs and now 2 Gassers with this one so we'll see. My buddy had the Banks system installed before his first trip and says he misses his 8.1 Chevy with the Allison trans already.
I've owned 2 gassers and now have a DP and I loved my Workhorse W-20 chassis (hated my Ford class C), but will never look back for many reasons, many stated in post here.
I always thought that the industry would go completely diesel for the class A rigs because of the higher weights and slideouts, especially when the FRED chassis came out (talk about noisy) and that still may happen since Ford is the only manufacture still building a large displacement gas engine.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts
Apple Valley CA
2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP3910
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #44

I still giggle every time my DP goes pssssst.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I still giggle every time my DP goes pssssst.
??? Why? I don't get it. Missing something here?
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #46

While a newbie to MHs, I've had my share of diesel Mercedes and Ford Excursions, and don't really agree with the cost of Maintenance for diesels.

We drive very low miles in our MH, but really like not have downshifts all the time on uphills, and we like having exhaust braking on downhills.

IMO, brakes on diesels last a LOT longer than on gasseers.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
If you have to ask. You would never understand.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by triker56 View Post
if you have to ask. You would never understand.
rotflmao
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #49
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
LOL. Its not the coach trying to tell you a secret!
It's the air system reaching maximum and dumping the extra. PSSSST!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #50

I wanted to buy new and couldn't justify the cost of a new DP. I went with the best gasser I could find. I've had DP's. A Monaco 300 Cummins and a Winnebago Journey 350 Cat. They do not go up hills any better than any gasser I've ever owned. If your looking at older DP's many had a 275 Cummins that wouldn't pull the hat off your head. Many get burned when buying older coaches because they don't know about window fogging, previous water damage from leaks, lack of maintenance and exterior wall delamination to name a few. There's a mpg thread on rv net. The honest one are saying they get between 7 and 8 mpg. I easily get that with a gasser. The overhang isn't an issue. The wheel base is chosen for a reason, balance. My new coach has a 28" shorter wheelbase and has 36" less overhang. The shorter w.b. makes it easier to maneuver through tight spots. I don't see the noise issue. When under a load I could hear the diesel very plain. The new gassers are actually very quiet compared to older ones and the ride has vastly improved. Did you ever try to take a nap in the rear BR of a diesel while driving? Not gunna happen. The majority of coach owners have gassers for a reason. A DP just isn't necessary to have a good time on the road.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #51

rodz,

Although I do agree with most of what you say, I will say this......a gasser that is stopped on Monarch pass at road construction pointing up a 7% grade will struggle on getting going again. The DP will always go, up or down, with ease over a gasser. I have yet to be passed by a gasser but pass many up the passes. The altitude to grade combo is deadly for performance and all that is left are gears and RPMs......two things I don't need. I have torque and turbo.....
Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub07 View Post
rodz,

Although I do agree with most of what you say, I will say this......a gasser that is stopped on Monarch pass at road construction pointing up a 7% grade will struggle on getting going again. The DP will always go, up or down, with ease over a gasser. I have yet to be passed by a gasser but pass many up the passes. The altitude to grade combo is deadly for performance and all that is left are gears and RPMs......two things I don't need. I have torque and turbo.....
True, but most will never encounter a situation like that. All my years of owning motorhomes, I had one time where my trans and engine temp were getting warmer than I like. Climbing the mountain to Ruby Falls just outside Chattanooga. That was a 1985 32" Allegro with a 454 and still had plenty of power to get up the hill.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #53

The sound that I love is the Ssssswwwiiishshshshshshshsh of a spooling up turbo I hear as I go through toll booths or am close to a building. Love a spooling turbo!!

When I was heading back to Ohio from Denver, where I bought the coach, I found that the Cummins 5.9 liked to be right at 1700 rpm or so on big hills. As long as I kept it there, I avoided down/up shifts and she just powered through it.

True, there is no napping in the rear bed with a DP...

But, sleeping at night boondocking in a gas coach with the genny under the rear area running probably ain't no better, either.

It's also true that older coaches have age issues to be carefully looked into and factored into selecting a coach. But, don't they all, diesel or gas?

Most diesels have full metal or fiberglass roof systems, vs rubber roofs. Also, only now are gas models getting 22.5 wheels.

Still love the air ride/brakes that come with DP's and gladly pay for it.

On the front noise topic with gas coaches, I do think an owner could very quickly reduce that greatly by adding more sound deadening material under the dog house and surrounding areas by the engine. There's some really good material available today.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
On the front noise topic with gas coaches, I do think an owner could very quickly reduce that greatly by adding more sound deadening material under the dog house and surrounding areas by the engine. There's some really good material available today.
That's exactly what Newmar did.

My Monaco was so much better in comfort than my 1994 Coachman Santara, I was one of the people saying I would never go back to gas. I was pleasantly surprised with how far the gassers have come. I'm 65 so this new coach is most likely the last one we'll get. At 6,000 miles per year it should last long after the kids take the keys away.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Curious about your position.

If you were to tow something would you use the same mileage/length breakpoint? Say a small boat or a Toad?

Towing tends to be disproportionally harder on a gasser in terms of CC and mileage.

Just curious.

UD
Uncle Dave-

I'm not a big "tower". We do pull an aluminum tilt bed trailer with a Smart Fortwo or a Polaris RZR which my 35' Adventurer gasser does not know its there when towing. If we need something bigger than that, we rent it when we get there.

If one intends to do alot of big car/truck towing, they probably need a DP, but it would most likely be 40' or more.

My break points will still be the same "for me". 35' with 3 slides is plenty for us and we do no need a DP in this size range. If I ever move up to a 40', it will be a 40' Newmar DP.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
It became obvious to us very quickly we wanted a DP.
The ride, the power, the exhaust brake.
We had a class c gasser for a long time.

To me there really is no comparing the 2.

Tags
diesel, gas