Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I've been reading these posts of diesel vs. gas for three plus years now. There are as many problems with a diesel due to it's complexity as a gas. Diesel is always 7-25% more than gas. Diesel initial costs are $25-50k more. Regular preventative maintenance on a diesel is 2-4 times more than a gas. Parts are 2-4 times more expensive on a diesel. Almost no owner does his own maintenance on diesel yet many more do their own on a gas, as I do.
So far I've compiled a list of 40+ reasons not to have a diesel. Most that own a gas are not speed demons, yet a gasser will go just as fast, some even up hill. I always get there maybe a 1/2 hour longer. Rarely anyone goes 200,000 miles in their RV. Gassers will last that easily. V-10's are noted to go 2-500,000, with no overhauls.
Diesel people with money can afford the extra cost and their benefits, I personally don't waste mine.

interesting observations, not all true, some are, diesel does cost more and it does not always even out when comparing MPG, but what do I compare to as there is not a gas engine that would even come close to moving my coach down the road, even V10 would be seriously lacking, diesel coaches do cost more, but they are typically not on a store bought frame, they do not use light duty tranmissions, they usually have far cheaper gas generators, and there is a myriad of differences in addition to the engine generally speaking, Now the "going up a hill" comment that is prevalent in just about every gas v diesel thread, I do not speed up hills, I guess I could but I don't, I do pass a pile of gas coaches but I also pass a pile of 18 wheelers too, my coach I guess has a decent power to weight ratio which allows this, I am certain I am burning a pile of fuel but at 50000 lbs, what do you expect, what I do know from experience is that the gas coaches. are a) screaming in a low gear to maintain lower speed, b) the exhaust manifolds are glowing c) the temperature is rising in engine and tranny, they will survive no problem, may need exhaust gaskets but they will survive, but they wont do that for anywhere near 100000 miles, never mind 500000, and if you care at all about your engine regardless of how far your trip was you will change the oil when you get to your destination, as opposed to me Ill change oil once a year. so who's wasting money, not me, I'm operating my coach as it was designed to be operated, my engine and transmission don't even breath hard performing their daily duties, it will continue to do so with maintenance and care for 5 times the distance any gas engine could even hope to, and that is a fact.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
For the OP, here's the facts for routine maint:

Gas 6.8L Ford - oil change at mfgt recommended 7,500miles about $30.
GM & Dodge is pretty much the same.

Diesel ISB Cummins - oil change at mfgt recommended 10,000miles about $150.
The bigger Diesels cost more, plus there are extra parts like fuel/water separators.

Plus Diesel is typically more expensive than gas, then there is DEF costs, so the mileage benefit of the Diesel is lost at the pump in figuring miles per dollars.
that's a good deal for an oil change seeing as my car cost more that 30 bucks, what kind of oil are you putting in your coach, the newer coachs are DEF yes, in Canada gas coaches as well a diesel need to pass emissions testing, my coach with 70000 miles still gets two year exemption as it pass's with flying colours, show me a 10 year old gas engine that can do that, usually is a catalytic converter and they cost more than 10 years worth of DEF, so its not all roses with gas coaches either

Moxy
Old 05-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #31

Can gas go bad?
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #32

(MOD EDIT)

Gas does go bad, fast that's a fact,

Moxy
Old 05-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrydr57 View Post
That's true didn't think of it like that, and I would put even less mile on. The other thing he said fuel mileage on a diesel is 3 to 4 mpgs better than gas, but if it cost more for service that might be a wash.

Thanks for your imput!
I don't know where he comes up with 3 to 4 mpg better on fuel with a diesel. These 500hp + Diesels are thirsty. They avg 6 at best as I'm told by a few of my friends that have them. I'll take my gas coach any day for the amount of miles we drive now. Average is about 4K miles per year for us and another way to look at it is, when we're sitting still we all have the same ammentities aboard. JMHO Maintenace wise as far as a cheaper cost?? Hands down "GAS".
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #34

Diesel service vs gas service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrydr57 View Post
I asked a friend who is a diesel mechanic if when I purchase my class a motorhome which is better gas or diesel he said hands down diesel, longer engine life more power etc. I was wondering though how much more would it cost for anual service as apposed to gas .

Clear skies, Steve W.

It does not cost enough more to matter.
I like my diesel. I liked my gassers.

Some folks will pro/con this topic forever. C'est la guerre!

Dont you just love the "someone told me" or "I read somewhere" stuff?

Buy what you like. You will be happier that way.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I don't know where he comes up with 3 to 4 mpg better on fuel with a diesel. These 500hp + Diesels are thirsty. They avg 6 at best as I'm told by a few of my friends that have them. I'll take my gas coach any day for the amount of miles we drive now. Average is about 4K miles per year for us and another way to look at it is, when we're sitting still we all have the same ammentities aboard. JMHO Maintenace wise as far as a cheaper cost?? Hands down "GAS".
I think where the poster was headed is that all things being equal between two rigs, gas vs diesel, the diesel will get better fuel mileage.

Same thing with light duty pickup trucks. (All though I think that gap is closing with the advent of new technology on gas trucks... direct injection, variable valve timing etc)
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #36

First it isn't about a DP going 100,00 miles it's the comfort and drivability. IMHO I have had both and the DP is way ahead of the gasser I owned. But don't want to start the Diesel vs Gas war over.
Second let's compare apples to apples. The gas would have 3 changes in 15,000 vs 1 on the diesel.
Actual cost of service not hear say
Speedco prices right off their website

Standard PM Service........................................... ...................$249.99
Service includes: • Check & Fill: tractor lube, hubs, power steering fluid.
• Check Only: coolant level, freezepoint & nitrite levels,
engine air filter, cabin air filter, transmission fluid,
differential fluids and tire assessment.
Featuring Rotella T, oil filled to OEM manufacturer capacity. Up to 3 Baldwin oil or fuel filters.
So for me it was an easy decision.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
interesting observations, not all true, some are, diesel does cost more and it does not always even out when comparing MPG, but what do I compare to as there is not a gas engine that would even come close to moving my coach down the road, even V10 would be seriously lacking, diesel coaches do cost more, but they are typically not on a store bought frame, they do not use light duty tranmissions, they usually have far cheaper gas generators, and there is a myriad of differences in addition to the engine generally speaking, Now the "going up a hill" comment that is prevalent in just about every gas v diesel thread, I do not speed up hills, I guess I could but I don't, I do pass a pile of gas coaches but I also pass a pile of 18 wheelers too, my coach I guess has a decent power to weight ratio which allows this, I am certain I am burning a pile of fuel but at 50000 lbs, what do you expect, what I do know from experience is that the gas coaches. are a) screaming in a low gear to maintain lower speed, b) the exhaust manifolds are glowing c) the temperature is rising in engine and tranny, they will survive no problem, may need exhaust gaskets but they will survive, but they wont do that for anywhere near 100000 miles, never mind 500000, and if you care at all about your engine regardless of how far your trip was you will change the oil when you get to your destination, as opposed to me Ill change oil once a year. so who's wasting money, not me, I'm operating my coach as it was designed to be operated, my engine and transmission don't even breath hard performing their daily duties, it will continue to do so with maintenance and care for 5 times the distance any gas engine could even hope to, and that is a fact.

Moxy
What the heck are you talking about? I have to change my oil every time I reach my destination regardless of how far I have driven? What century are you living in? I put mobile one in and usually don't have to change it for a year. Over 100,000 on my v10 and it runs like a top. If for some reason I blow it completely, I can get a new or rebuilt entire engine for about 3-5k. How much is it when (not if) the turbo goes out on one of those big diesel powerplants again?

There is so much BS that gets thrown around on both sides. Diesel is premium platform. There are no cost savings in going the diesel route but there are advantages that many believe are well worth the price of admission.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #38

6 years. 47,000 miles.
Oil changes: 7 times at about $50= $350
Fuel filter: $0
Chassis lube: $10 worth of greese.
Trans: $0
Brakes: $0
Air filter: $60 one time K&N.
Spark plugs: $0
Rear diff: $0
Radiator: $0
Serpentine belt: $0
Break downs: $0
Pure enjoyment and money in my pocket: Priceless

Only big item last year were tires. Which were still a whole lot cheaper than 22.5's on a diesel.

A diesel can't come close to that. And yes I have owned diesel vehicles. Nice? Yes. Leaps and bounds better than gas? No. Cheaper to own? Hell no.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #39

(MOD EDIT)

I buy oil in bulk by the barrel. If you go to Wally, the price of the oil starts at $12.97/gal so the 27qts = $84.58

Gas filters are in the tank, requiring the mechs to drop the tank to remove/change it. On a diesel it's on the side or on top of the engine - easy access.

My first diesel engine was a Detroit 671 - and w/800,000 mi - it uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles, but other than that it's still stroking along.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #40

(Mod Edit)

Modern gas engine fuel systems are sealed. The gas does not evaporate that much if any, and not enough to cause problems. Diesel forms algae if not treated, fact. If you say you never got bad diesel well good for you, it happens alot. And it's hard to believe in marine applications you haven't. You ever try starting a diesel that's been sitting? Most people who know a thing or to would recommend changing all filters and possibly draining or adding additives to the tank before attempting to start it. Especially if the time it's been sitting is lengthy or unknown. BTW there's no carbs in modern gas motorhomes so that point you made is well "pointless". I tell most people "a gas car as your daily driver, is very comparable to a gas powered motor home". Also the old saying "if you have to ask? Then you probably can't afford it." Comes to mind.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikehunter View Post
(Mod Edit) I buy oil in bulk by the barrel. If you go to Wally, the price of the oil starts at $12.97/gal so the 27qts = $84.58

Gas filters are in the tank, requiring the mechs to drop the tank to remove/change it. On a diesel it's on the side or on top of the engine - easy access.

My first diesel engine was a Detroit 671 - and w/800,000 mi - it uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles, but other than that it's still stroking along.
(Mod Edit) Gas filters are frame mounted quick and cheap.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:20 AM   #42

You know guys, folks who own gassers love them, folks who love DP love them, never the twain shall meet. Our experience and IMHO only , owned a 34ft v10 gasser coach when parked was nice, on the road not so much. On a grade the trans would downshift and scream like a banshee, so much that our pup would run to the bed room and hide. Wind wander was terrible, all over the road when the wind was high. Moved to a 40ft DP. On a grade really I didn't notice, and on the way down had an exhaust brake, very little wind wander. Living space was wonderful. The Allison Transmission none better.

So back to topic the maintenance is more but not overwhelming. Is it worth it depends on the person, to us well worth it. We would never go back but that's just us, others have their opinion and we respect that.

Happy trails THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, service