Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to laugh at all the anecdotal info in these threads.

Cant hear you over the screaming gasser engine upfront
Cant do 80mph up a 10% mountain grade
Blows white smoke and can only maintain 25mph
Diesels will go 3 million miles on just a drop of oil
Comparing a rental gasser to a personally owned RV...lol

Wait til the conversion bus chassis loons get in here...lol.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #58

(Mod Edit)...about evaporation and the fuel system not being sealed/pressurized. I had to laugh too, never realized they still used a charcoal canister, and a non issue when we're talking maintenance costs. At least I admitted I was wrong.

My 1998 30 foot class c with the v10 did just fine on grades and I put over 100,000 miles on it. And I know for a fact it's still going strong 6 years after I sold it.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #59

I guess you've never experienced condensation either
Old 05-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I've been reading these posts of diesel vs. gas for three plus years now. There are as many problems with a diesel due to it's complexity as a gas. Diesel is always 7-25% more than gas. Diesel initial costs are $25-50k more. Regular preventative maintenance on a diesel is 2-4 times more than a gas. Parts are 2-4 times more expensive on a diesel. Almost no owner does his own maintenance on diesel yet many more do their own on a gas, as I do.
So far I've compiled a list of 40+ reasons not to have a diesel. Most that own a gas are not speed demons, yet a gasser will go just as fast, some even up hill. I always get there maybe a 1/2 hour longer. Rarely anyone goes 200,000 miles in their RV. Gassers will last that easily. V-10's are noted to go 2-500,000, with no overhauls.
Diesel people with money can afford the extra cost and their benefits, I personally don't waste mine.
I honestly don't care either way what someone buys, I've owned both and the one I have now is what keeps the wife happy lol. That said, I bolded the comment above to point out that currently where I live diesel is actually cheaper or the same price as regular unleaded at several locations.

Actual current prices:

Chevron
Regular unleaded : $4.299
Diesel : $4.199

Flyers
Regular unleaded : $3.959
Diesel : $3.939

Full Stop
Regular unleaded : $3.959
Diesel : $3.859

Currently the cheapest regular gas within 20 miles of my house is sitting at $3.939. While the cheapest diesel within the same distance is $3.839. I'm in California
RClifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exclamation Community rules - be nice

SEVERAL POSTS HAVE INCLUDED PERSONAL EXCHANGES - WHICH MUST STOP.

Please keep all future posts on-topic about the annual maint. cost of these engines.

Off-Topic posts will be deleted.

Thanks for your understanding,
Your Site Staff
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Steve, I was wondering when the back room would step up!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #63

Annual maintenance cost related: I do NOT have to change the oil in my gasser after every trip.

Annual maintenance related: If you run your coach at its GCWR, it is running at its designed limit (Gas or diesel) and will probably want a little more frequent regular maintenance.

Diesel based coaches cost more up front and often more over their lifetime but there are serious benefits one gets from that cost.

What is a typical "lifetime" of the house portion of a motorhome anyway? Gas or diesel but NOT Prevost class, I know they can have a long lifetime. 10 years, 15 years?
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
We went from a Georgetown gasser with a v 10 to our current coach HR 340 cummins, no air bags. So far the maintenance has been very reasonable in comparison to the gasser. I like the 15000 mile intervals between oil changes and I do them all at Speedco less then $200 including Genny. The gasser we would take to Ford for service, approx 70 dollars but I did not like the 5000 mile interval. Now do I like the diesel better then the gasser>???? ...... no comment.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadd View Post
I have done the math on the fuel cost difference between a gasser and a diesel and it is not necessarily a wash. If you get 7 mpg in a gasser and your fuel costs $3.50, you only have to get 8 mpg in a diesel with fuel costing $4.00 in order for the costs to be equal. There are many different scenarios that affect this calculation so it may not be true in every situation.

Since I am now getting 10 mpg in my new diesel (35') and got only 7 mpg in my previous gasser (30'), I am saving on fuel even adding in the cost of DEF.
I see we are driving and towing the same combination... and my experience is the same.
appsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #66

any gas engine produced since fuel injection will easily last 100k.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #67

Thank you everyone for your insight and advice. I am leaning towards a gas coach for a few reasons . 1 we want a coach that will be under 34 ft, I can see where diesel would be better if we were to get say a 40 footer. 2 we will only put on under 6000 miles a year traveling from wisc to Florida for 4 months then back home. 3 Maint. Costs seem a little cheaper .
If we had unlimited amount of money a big 40 foot dp would be awesome for sure.

Clear skies , Steve
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikehunter View Post
I guess you've never experienced condensation either
Nope, never in any gas powered vehicle I've owned.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrydr57 View Post
Thank you everyone for your insight and advice. I am leaning towards a gas coach for a few reasons . 1 we want a coach that will be under 34 ft, I can see where diesel would be better if we were to get say a 40 footer. 2 we will only put on under 6000 miles a year traveling from wisc to Florida for 4 months then back home. 3 Maint. Costs seem a little cheaper .
If we had unlimited amount of money a big 40 foot dp would be awesome for sure.

Clear skies , Steve
All good reasons Steve. Not only will maintenance be cheaper, but so will your upfront costs... Good luck with the search and let us know what ya got!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, service