Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #1

Diesel service vs gas service

I asked a friend who is a diesel mechanic if when I purchase my class a motorhome which is better gas or diesel he said hands down diesel, longer engine life more power etc. I was wondering though how much more would it cost for anual service as apposed to gas .

Clear skies, Steve W.
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
I could argue either way on the gas vs diesel topic. That's why I'm still on the fence as to what to get next. However, while I believe it's true, longer engine life is not one of my considerations.

I have heard people say that at 100,000 miles a diesel is just getting broken in. That may be close to true but if a gas engine is half way through it's life and the diesel is one tenth it's all the same to me. I will never see that many miles during my ownership.

If I average 6000 miles a year and have the coach for ten years I am very confident that modern gas engines will be going strong at 60,000.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #3

Compare an oil change in a gasser to one in a DP.

FWIW I paid something like $30 for the last oil change. I read a thread today for a DP that was somewhere between $500 and $1000 for the filters, oil and labor.

I fully agree that a diesel will do more miles and probably get better fuel economy. OTOH how many miles will you do in you MH and how much is the differential in fuel cost. The other end of the issue is the power one can get for a large MH. I'm not sure there is a gas engine currently available that will come close to the horsepower and torque available in the current crop of diesels.

For me I don't want anything over 30 couple feet because of where I go so a diesel does not make sense to me if I could get one. OTOH if I was into a large pusher diesel would be the only way to go.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
I could argue either way on the gas vs diesel topic. That's why I'm still on the fence as to what to get next. However, while I believe it's true, longer engine life is not one of my considerations.

I have heard people say that at 100,000 miles a diesel is just getting broken in. That may be close to true but if a gas engine is half way through it's life and the diesel is one tenth it's all the same to me. I will never see that many miles during my ownership.

If I average 6000 miles a year and have the coach for ten years I am very confident that modern gas engines will be going strong at 60,000.
That's true didn't think of it like that, and I would put even less mile on. The other thing he said fuel mileage on a diesel is 3 to 4 mpgs better than gas, but if it cost more for service that might be a wash.

Thanks for your imput!
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #5

I'd be concerned with a gas powered Class A especially in hilly or mountainous terrain, no power going up and nothing holding you back going down. Everything else is personal preference.
If I was in the business for a Class A I would rather buy a used Diesel than a new Gasser.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post

FWIW I paid something like $30 for the last oil change. I read a thread today for a DP that was somewhere between $500 and $1000 for the filters, oil and labor.
Not true I just has this done on my diesel and it was a little over $300. If I did it myself it would be half that.

Cost is only one part of the equation. While the longevity factor is for real, it is not the major reason to go diesel. The improvement in performance, handling, ride and comfort is a game changer with a class A diesel motorhome.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thats a massive exaggeration on the cost of
diesel service. Diesel engines go three times longer then
gassers based on mileage or once a year. I get ours done
at speedco for less then $200 and that includes oil and
all filters for both engine and genny. If our coach was a
gasser we would have to change the oil at least twice a year
at the cost of approx $ 140.00 ( $70 per oil change) .
Longer oil intervals ( 15, 000 miles ) means we never are
forced to change the oil while on a trip.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Not true I just has this done on my diesel and it was a little over $300. If I did it myself it would be half that.

Cost is only one part of the equation. While the longevity factor is for real, it is not the major reason to go diesel. The improvement in performance, handling, ride and comfort is a game changer with a class A diesel motorhome.
This is SPOT ON statement!!! I have had both a gasser and now a DP. I would NEVER EVER go back to a gasser. Yes it costs more to service a diesel and its worth every penny for the piece of mind for the reliability of larger drive train components rather than whats under hood of every pick up truck going down the road.

I have been told more than once by different RV dealers that upon trade in on a gasser that the milage on the odometer should be considered doubled due to wear,tear and stress because of how hard they have to work to get the rig down the road. Diesels don't even break a sweat…..
Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #9

no question a gasser will cost you less in drive train maintainence and repairs, a lot less. the only way a diesel will even come close to compete is if you drive mega miles a year and very few do, I'd say 90% of rv's go less than 5k a year. with the higher price of diesel the better mpg is a wash. don't see very many rv's of any age with 100,000 miles for sale, the diesel lasting longer really is a non-issue. the gas motor will last the life of the average rv. once you get up to the mid 30's in length with multiple slides then the need for the higher torque and hp starts to justify the much higher cost of the diesel. there is a reason new gas class a's out sell diesels almost 3 to 1...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
I have been told more than once by different RV dealers that upon trade in on a gasser that the milage on the odometer should be considered doubled due to wear,tear and stress because of how hard they have to work to get the rig down the road. Diesels don't even break a sweat…..
Well, we all know that RV dealers wouldn't stretch the truth. (And I'm sure it depends on whether they are buying or selling the gasser.)
Old 05-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #11

Quote:

I fully agree that a diesel will do more miles and probably get better fuel economy. OTOH how many miles will you do in you MH and how much is the differential in fuel cost. The other end of the issue is the power one can get for a large MH. I'm not sure there is a gas engine currently available that will come close to the horsepower and torque available in the current crop of diesels.

For me I don't want anything over 30 couple feet because of where I go so a diesel does not make sense to me if I could get one. OTOH if I was into a large pusher diesel would be the only way to go.
who ever told ya 500-1000 is full of sh$%, my isl needs a $30.00 filter and 26 liters of oil, the local oil change spot, dumps the oil and filter, greases the chassis for $30.00, so closer to $100.00-125.00 and that is every 15,000 miles, so at least 2 if not 3 oil changes on a gas rig, fuel filters need to be changed on gas engines as well, they twist on and twist off in 2 minutes and are about $50.00 for the pair in my rig, I do them every two years to be safe, and that is over kill for the amount of miles I put on her. and I would need two gas engines in my rig to move it down the road so gas is not even an option.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Find the FLOOR PLAN you like and buy it! If you don't drive it like an over the road trucker then longevity should not be an issue. We all know a DP drives better, drives smoother and MAY have more power. We were torn when buying our last Motorhome because I wanted a diesel, just so I could say I had a diesel, but she won out on the floor plan she liked. We bought a gasser. We full time and have only put 12000 miles on it in over three years. If you drive 50000 or 60000 miles a year on a rig then I would say diesel. Otherwise find the floor plan you like and buy it. Just my two cents worth.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #13

Quote:

Huh? I just had a service done to my 2014 40' SportsCoach Diesel Pusher. (Cummins ISB 340).

Oil and filter, fuel filters, all chassis grease serks, fluid check at rear diff.

22 qts of oil and all filters. $124.99. Speedco in Virginia.

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
no question a gasser will cost you less in drive train maintainence and repairs, a lot less. the only way a diesel will even come close to compete is if you drive mega miles a year and very few do, I'd say 90% of rv's go less than 5k a year. with the higher price of diesel the better mpg is a wash. don't see very many rv's of any age with 100,000 miles for sale, the diesel lasting longer really is a non-issue. the gas motor will last the life of the average rv. once you get up to the mid 30's in length with multiple slides then the need for the higher torque and hp starts to justify the much higher cost of the diesel. there is a reason new gas class a's out sell diesels almost 3 to 1...
I have done the math on the fuel cost difference between a gasser and a diesel and it is not necessarily a wash. If you get 7 mpg in a gasser and your fuel costs $3.50, you only have to get 8 mpg in a diesel with fuel costing $4.00 in order for the costs to be equal. There are many different scenarios that affect this calculation so it may not be true in every situation.

Since I am now getting 10 mpg in my new diesel (35') and got only 7 mpg in my previous gasser (30'), I am saving on fuel even adding in the cost of DEF.
Dadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, service