Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 03:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel Turbo

Have a 2018 Winnie Forza 34T. Purchased used when I downsized from a 40' Newmar last Oct. Love the rig, 34,000 miles. Bought a five year bumper to bumper warranty (thank you Lord) Took it to the dealer to have the dash AC checked, needs a new compressor. While their, mech noted oil dripping on the concrete. His diagnosis is it needs a new Turbo, leaking oil where turbo comes out to the large hose. I looked and he's right. Strange thing is I started the rig at my house to bring in rooms and off jacks, then a walk around to ensure all was well. Drove the 8 miles (4 on an interstate) to the dealer. No signs of turbo issues. I have had some turbo issues on precious DPs e.g., hoses coming lose so I know what happens when the engine is missing its turbo, significant loss of power. All was well on my drive there

Now to the problem. The dealer checked his normal suppliers and was told on order with a +56 day back log. Unbelievable. Engine is a Cummins 6.7L. I have all the data on the engine, serial no, etc. Dealer (La Mesa) said he will go to Cummins Power to see if there is one available somewhere in the US.

I told the dealer to not throw away the old turbo when replaced as I want to see it to try and determine what caused this

Any help out there with anyone's connection with a Cummins dealer? Thanks Guy, love this site.
Semper Fi, Jim
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 05:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check eBay for a turbo I have seen several new ones for my Cat so I bet they also sell one for your engine.

You’ll have to pay a core charge if you keep the old one I bet.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Really, you just need a rebuild as it sounds like your seals are leaking. There are oil seals in the center on the turbo where the shaft spins. Oil is pumped into the top through a small line and drains out the bottom through probably a 1” or larger hoes down to the block or oil pan. There are brass thrust bearings in the center with oil seals on either side. The oil is getting past those and into your cold side (it sounds like). Your turbo should be a “standard” turbo which you can buy in the aftermarket either new or core exchange. Turbo should have a tag on it with the number and brand. Search that and you’re likely to find multiple retailers selling them. The alternative is a rebuild, which is a whole lot cheaper and easy to do.

The downside to the cold side leaking oil is that it’ll get into your intercooler if you continue to run it, eventually making its way to your intake.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like DPP has them in stock. I went as far as adding one to the cart and calculating shipping. They have overnight options but 6-10 days for free shipping. There’s different options, so make sure you get the right one. But, shops like this generally have them or can get them fast.

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...rbo-67-cummins
Old 05-23-2022, 02:54 AM   #5

On a 2018 W/34K miles the turbo is not worn out, it is damaged, probably from coking.
Simply replacing seals might not be the solution, it might need new bearings too. No way to tell until it is apart. Then re-assembly requires perfect balancing to insure longevity.
If you know the ropes it will be fine, otherwise a rebuilt or new turbo is best IMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:07 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
On a 2018 W/34K miles the turbo is not worn out, it is damaged, probably from coking.
Simply replacing seals might not be the solution, it might need new bearings too. No way to tell until it is apart. Then re-assembly requires perfect balancing to insure longevity.
If you know the ropes it will be fine, otherwise a rebuilt or new turbo is best IMO.
Ray what is coking?
Old 05-23-2022, 07:53 AM   #7

Coking is the carbon build up.
Before just replacing the turbo, why not clean it up at home, let it dry, start it up, if need be, take a little drive to find the leak. Might be as simple as just needing to tighten the oil in or out line, might be a bad oil line,or a leak from another place.
I had my turbo replaced on my 6.7 cummins in the truck, sent my old one in for a $400 core charge. I paid full for the new, got core money back when company checked it.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just recv'd a call from the dealer after we has a LONG conversation earlier with him standing by his claim that there is not one of my turbos anywhere in North America. Hogwash was my reply and I threatened to go over his head to the owner of the dealership. Amazing how going higher usually gets results. I personally called Cummins, and gave him my engine number and he found 7 right here at the local Cummins shop. Before I could call the dealer to let him know my results, he called me saying he found one. Ain't that amazing?

I thank everyone for all your help, but this is under warranty so I will let them put a new Turbo in and I won't pursue it any further. When I had Cummins on the phone I asked what he thought could have caused this. He said the number one thing is need for an oil change. I have no records of the last time the oil was changed in this rig since I bought it used, but it really is BLACK. I have an appt at Gaffney to have them go over the rig with a fine toothed comb and oil change will be part of that.

Again , appreciate it guys!!
Semper Fi,
Jim
Old 05-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you're getting it sorted out!

Tags
diesel, turbo