Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2022, 04:00 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel Turbo Redux

Well I have my rig back in its parking space at the house after five weeks of trying to find a replacement turbo for it. It is a 2018 Cummins 6.7L, and would believe there were none available in the continental limits of the U.S. Unbelievable. The dealer tried, Cummins tried, I tried, and had several mech friends of mine and no one, absolutely no one could find that turbo. Cummins has it listed at "+56 day back order." I am a fairly mechanically-minded fellow for a old retired Marine Grunt, but I knew very little about the workings of a diesel turbo. After weeks and weeks of researching, talking to numerous companies throughout the U.S, I consider myself an expert when someone mentions turbos. LOL
Finally one of the older mechs at the dealer asked himself the question, why don't I take this turbo apart and see if I can fix it. He did, found out the seals and gaskets were coked. Ordered replacement kits that were available and he fixed the darn thing. Replaced the actuator and a couple pf other parts like the drain tube, etc. If you read my initial thread on this subject, I had taken the rig in to see what why the dash AC was not working. Needed a new compressor. While there he noted oil on the shop floor, crawled under and saw the turbo was leaking oil. That started the whole 5 week fiasco. I bought this rig as a downsize trade from my 2006 Newmar KS 3910. Paid near $7K for a five year bumper to bumper warranty. This entire turbo, dash AC fix came to just under $10K. Boy am I glad I bought that warranty.
Anyway, the "Grunt" is back in its spot beside the house and we will be shoving off on 14 July for a seven week trip visiting kids, grandkids and great grandkids. First stop will be the Winnebago rally in Iowa. Hope to see some of you Winnie owners there.
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2022, 05:28 PM   #2

Most Cummins authorized dealers, keep a supply of rebuilt turbos on hand for construction and farming industry engines.
I agree, It's sad that many mechanics have become so used to simply throwing a new part onto an engine, vs rebuilding the existing part.

That happened to me at a diesel shop a few years ago, I asked for a new gasket in my lift pump, but the shop simply bought and installed a new pump, at my expense.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:19 PM   #3

Good to hear you've made it home with repairs intact.

Safe travels!
Old 06-17-2022, 07:28 PM   #4

Coked Turbo.......run hard and put away HOT

After a HARD pull let engine idle for couple minutes before shutting down

Usually turbo has cooled down enough under normal driving.

Haven't heard of a coked turbo in long time
Previous owner must have worked it HARD and shut it right off
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Coked Turbo.......run hard and put away HOT

After a HARD pull let engine idle for couple minutes before shutting down

Usually turbo has cooled down enough under normal driving.

Haven't heard of a coked turbo in long time
Previous owner must have worked it HARD and shut it right off
I am certain that is what the prior owner did. Had 34,000 on it when I bought it. Many folks today especially with diesel prices through the roof shut that sucker down as soon as the poll off at a rest stop. I have never do0ne that. Funny though, I recently read on here where one of the senior members was saying you do not need to do that with the new engines. LOL,
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:08 PM   #6

The lift pump gasket on pump that you could take it apart, was discontinued.A place on eBay has ,I think two different ones that are reproduced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Most Cummins authorized dealers, keep a supply of rebuilt turbos on hand for construction and farming industry engines.
I agree, It's sad that many mechanics have become so used to simply throwing a new part onto an engine, vs rebuilding the existing part.

That happened to me at a diesel shop a few years ago, I asked for a new gasket in my lift pump, but the shop simply bought and installed a new pump, at my expense.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
The lift pump gasket on pump that you could take it apart, was discontinued.A place on eBay has ,I think two different ones that are reproduced.
Another source is a HDT repair shop in the South, I can't recall the name right now, they carry both designs, about $6 ea.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, turbo