Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

Diesels break down more & longer periods than Gassers?

I've been lurking around the forum for awhile now and something hit me today that I hadn't really thought about before. Its seems when I read about a problem with a coach, especially those where they keep a coach in the shop for weeks and sometimes months. It's almost always a diesel, why is that?

You read stories that just break your heart where folks leave on a trip and "Bang-Zoom" the coach breaks down. And stories where the folks have had their coach in the garage longer than they've been able to use the coach! It seems it takes forever to get the coach worked on and fixed.

I can hardly remember the last time I've read something like this about a gasser? Why is that? You still have to deal with the shop, get approval from the coach/chassis company etc.

Why is it diesel pushers are the ones you hear about most of the time?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most diesel shops give preference to trucks. They're earning a living, most RV'ers are not.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:53 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Why don't you let the gas- diesel comparison go !
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I've been lurking around the forum for awhile now and something hit me today that I hadn't really thought about before. Its seems when I read about a problem with a coach, especially those where they keep a coach in the shop for weeks and sometimes months. It's almost always a diesel, why is that?

You read stories that just break your heart where folks leave on a trip and "Bang-Zoom" the coach breaks down. And stories where the folks have had their coach in the garage longer than they've been able to use the coach! It seems it takes forever to get the coach worked on and fixed.

Why is it diesel pushers are the ones you hear about most of the time?

Wild a.. guess I would say that there are a lot of older diesel coaches on the road longer than typical gasser. Parts become harder to get for older rigs. For chassis work, almost any mechanic set up for cars and light trucks can get info and parts in order to fix a gasser. Diesel chassis are sometimes unique to that coach. Although the parts are generally common with other coaches and trucks they are not always as easy to identify and get. Again, I'm no kind of expert and the above is just a guess. Still worth it to drive a DP.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mr. D is right. For example, even Cummins Coach Care centers still service OTR trucks, fire trucks and other vehicles with Cummins engines. While we might not like it, it is easy for them to focus more on the commercial vehicle. Perhaps the exception is when folks are traveling in their coach and are stranded at the shop.

Another issue, I believe, is the relative reluctance of many diesel shops to work on DP's. Engine access for things other than pretty routine maintenance is not always easy. Rear radiator rigs are a bit of a PITA. For some repairs, the mechanic must access the top of the engine from the coach floor.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post

X2.
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post

JJ, I don't let it go because I'm trying to understand! And maybe I'm more curious than I need to be but buying my first coach is a big thing to me. And I've never been one to just wing it!

I've decided to buy a Newmar Ventana LE, but I still want to know that I know that I know. My only chance at that is by asking questions. I apologize to anyone who finds it tedious!

Thanks that makes a lot of sense Glen.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Maybe you should buy a older Foretravel like this one its a proven rig .. 2006 Foretravel PHENIX, Nacogdoches TX - - RVtrader.com
Safe-T-Plus
Old 06-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #10

Nice coach Pa Miller for sure and Foretravel is a dandy! We decided to go the new direction but there are some very nice used coaches out there.

I'm just trying to fined out if there is some inheriant reason why you don't hear "my gasser has been in the shop for a month" like you do about diesels?

Oh well, I guess some things have no answer!
Old 06-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Some of the rig's in shops are in for minor things also some companies that sale diesel pusher don't even service them, so they are send out to shops.. Worry about a breakdown won't prevent one .. Do the PM's on your rig and they will do what they are designed to do.... Lemons come from the factory in all shapes and sizes .. Good Luck with your new rig !!
Safe-T-Plus
Old 06-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
JJ, I don't let it go because I'm trying to understand! And maybe I'm more curious than I need to be but buying my first coach is a big thing to me. And I've never been one to just wing it!

I've decided to buy a Newmar Ventana LE, but I still want to know that I know that I know. My only chance at that is by asking questions. I apologize to anyone who finds it tedious!

Thanks that makes a lot of sense Glen.
Wyo you don't have to apologize to anyone. This forum is to ask questions and get relevant answers. Keep asking questions.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

My observation on this site and from personal experience is that most shop time has nothing to do with the engine type but rather all the poorly installed systems, slides, sky lights, paint, plumbing, apliances etc.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #14

Quote:

Dude! You are committed and will have a very fine rig. Hop on the Rainbow and enjoy the ride!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas