Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know which coaches you are looking at, and the specifics of the generator models.

However, our 8K generator is a newer generator technology 'inverter' style, which means it varies its speed based upon the electrical load on the generator. If no load, it will idle. If heavier A/C load, it revs up to meet the demand.

Older technology generators run at a fixed RPM speed, regardless of the load on them, so that the power it makes is 60 cycles.

Some people like the more consistent background noise level of a constant RPM generator. Some people like to know they're saving a little fuel (neither use much).

Personally, it would not be a decision swinger for me one way or the other. The coach mfg, condition, floorplan, prior maintenance, etc are all much more important factors. 6000 watts is a total of 50amps@120vac, 8000 watts is a total of 67amps@120vac. Either way I suspect you'll have plenty of power when running the genny.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttz View Post
Everyone, thank you for all of your help. Saddlesore- one of the motor homes has 2X 13,500 BTU AC's and the other one has 2X15,000 BTU AC's. The one with the 8K generator is a bit more money. Both are class A diesel gas motor homes. I think that each generator would work for me for that motor home. Let's see how the pricing works out

ST

The Onan 6K and the 8K are the same base unit. Same engine, same alternator, just limited by software and breaker. The difference is strictly 2000 watts. 6K won’t start two 15BTU AC with much or any baseload.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:00 AM   #17

Thank you everyone for your input. This is really a great forum- very helpful!!
I am going to try to get the bigger generator. The motor home with the bigger generator is a "step up" from the other one. I am really looking forward to getting this new motor home. I live on the east coast. In the summer, I have a trip planned to go to Glacier National park. Two years ago, I traveled through the badlands in SD, and it was so hot in the motor home I have now. I love the analogy of a "dutch oven", because these things get really hot. I guess you can't have too much power. I will let you know how things go.
Thanks,
Scott
scotttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #18

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttz View Post
Thank you everyone for your input. This is really a great forum- very helpful!!
I am going to try to get the bigger generator. The motor home with the bigger generator is a "step up" from the other one. I am really looking forward to getting this new motor home. I live on the east coast. In the summer, I have a trip planned to go to Glacier National park. Two years ago, I traveled through the badlands in SD, and it was so hot in the motor home I have now. I love the analogy of a "dutch oven", because these things get really hot. I guess you can't have too much power. I will let you know how things go.
Thanks,
Scott
Let 'ER RIP.....TATER CHIP!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2 vs 3 air conditioners or 2 larger air conditioners may be the reason for the larger generator. If so, then the added air conditioning capacity may be important to you.

We had 28' with one unit. A 37' with 2 units. And now 40' with three units - this is the first one that will cool well in those 90-110 degree days in the southwest summers.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator