Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

Dimensions 2000 Inverter Troubleshooting

Had problem w/boiling batteries, failing to switch to shore power, and overall power uncertainty. Took to Lazy Days... tech says inverter and control panel needs replacement... with labor $2300. Does anyone have similar replacement and did you stick with Dimensions or go substitute? Need input to help make decision. 2004 Winnebago Vectra
rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't offer advice on that problem. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #3

Dimensions 2000 Inverter Troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
Had problem w/boiling batteries, failing to switch to shore power, and overall power uncertainty. Took to Lazy Days... tech says inverter and control panel needs replacement... with labor $2300. Does anyone have similar replacement and did you stick with Dimensions or go substitute? Need input to help make decision. 2004 Winnebago Vectra

My rig had the same issues before I bought it. The Magnum Energy controller/charger/inverter, Intellitech, and ALL batteries were fries.
I don't know much about the gizmos other than how to monitor the voltages, but I have maintained all 6 batteries like a new religion.
I think you may have had an overcharge issue going on. I check my Magnum Energy readout often as I pass by it. If it goes to Absorb charge at 14.5 or higher for more than a few minutes after you plug the coach into the pedstal, or goes above Float charge rate of 13.6 often, the charger is not on par.
Me thinks excessive battery electrolyte loss is most often caused by improper inverter/charger settings and poor 12V electrical management.

IMO mineral oil may be a band-aid for the problem?... (not a fix).
That has been my theory all along. I am convinced that I only need to top off the cells once a year for the reasons you stated.

I didn't have 12V mgt in my first 2 coaches, just chargers I trusted (but verified with a meter). I have my Dad's lessons firmly in my head on many topics.
Another thing is that when charging is happening as it should, it will periodically show Full Charge. If it doesn't there are likely battery or charging issues
Best wishes!!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #4

This write up may help you understand what's involved in a replacement.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
rainman,
While you don't say what length your Vectra is, we have the basic sister ship to your coach. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. It too had the Dimensions "Quasi-wave" 2000 watt Inverter/Charger. Now, one of the first things you need to understand is, just how that Dimensions unit actually works. It, like many Inverter/Chargers, has a staged battery charging system.

That is, when your house batteries are very low in voltage, and you plug your coach into shore power, that Dimensions unit goes into action. It sees what's needed to really get those batteries on the way back up to full voltage. The first stage of charging is the "Bulk" charge. In that stage, it's putting out about maximum voltage and amperage that the batteries will take. Once those batteries have risen to a level that is acceptable to the paramerts of Bulk charging, the charger goes to the next lower level and, that is the "Absorbtion" charge.

That is a mid-level charge and charge rate. It will continue to bring them up to a level that will be basically be what's considered to be topped off. Once that level is achieved, the charger enters what's called the "Float" charge rate. In that stage, it's simply maintaining your batteries because, they no longer need any other form of charging.

Now, one thing more. The Dimensions unit also has what's called an "Equalizing" stage. If you don't know what equalizing a battery is, it's simple. A battery, automotive type, wet cell, will eventually develop sulfation on the plates of the cells. That is simply deposits created by normal cycling of battery charging and discharging.

Well, equalizing, as far as I understand it, is basically a high voltage rate and amperage rate that cooks off the sulffation off the plates and, makes all the cells equal in charging and discharging. Experts on this stuff should chime in here if my description is off.

But, that Dimensions unit WILL go into that equalization faze, when every "5th" cycle of all the cycling of rates of charges have been completed. That is, when it charges at all charge rates, Bulk, Absorbtion and float, for five times, that sixth time, the Charger side of that Dimensions unit AUTOMATICALLY goes into that equalization mode. It will remain in that mode for a given amount of time. I forgot what that time frame is. It's in the description of the operation of the Dimensions Inverter/Charger 2000W.

But, and here's where things can get messy. If, at any time, one of your house batteries develops a bad cell or, a shorted one, that Charger doesn't know how to handle that. What it will do is, go into a charge rate that it thinks it needs to bring "them" (all the batteries) back up when in fact, all the charging will be actually directed to that faulty cell. When that happens, the temperature skyrockets in that battery.

Since the cell is shorted, it doesn't have the ability to charge to an accepted level so, the charger just continues to charge, indefinitely. Not good.

Now, there's other things that happen to those Dimensions units. The charger side of that inverter/charger can simply QUIT. When that happens, there are two remedies. One, thow it out and get a new Inverter/Charger of your choice. Two, it can be rebuilt with new and more modern logic systems that will handle more situations than the original programming can. The last time I checked, it was about $550 to send the unit back, get it rebuilt and sent back.

In reality, that's not a bad price since the cost of a new, say, Magnum unit of equal performance, hovers around $1,000 to $1,100 or so.

So, you need to explain more of what's going on with yours for us to give more applicable answers. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:54 AM   #6

Since the Dimensions is dead, get rid of it and replace it with an Equivelient Magnum. This install is close to a straight swap, so for $2300 I hope you're getting the ME-ARC Panel, and ME-BMK shunt module. If you do any kind of reasonable boondocking these two are essential IMO.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Since the Dimensions is dead, get rid of it and replace it with an Equivelient Magnum. This install is close to a straight swap, so for $2300 I hope you're getting the ME-ARC Panel, and ME-BMK shunt module. If you do any kind of reasonable boondocking these two are essential IMO.
Jeff,
It's "almost" a straight swap. Different mounting brackets must be fabricated IF one wants the new Magnum to be installed in the same position and space. And, the ME-RC control remote panel will fit exactly where the Dimensions one was but, it will NOT use the same communications cable.
A new, 5-wire cable must be ran to the new Magnum. That can be a real pain. I did it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #8

I happened across this post, and since there seems to be a collection of knowledge here I would like to ask for some assistance. I have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty with 4 - 6 volt batteries, Xantrex 2000 watt inverter / charger. It was not originally built with solar panels, but all the paperwork indicates it is wired and ready for installation of solar panels. The complete systems monitor is the Aladdin system, it shows a readout voltage for the solar panel. It typically shows 1.0 volts and 0.5 amps... I assume that's just an inaccuracy due to not having solar panels installed.

Where should I start on this project? If there is something missing, what would it be... some sort of interface between the inverter and solar panels? I am not a frequent boondocker but would like to capitalize on a clear sky full of bright Florida Sun. It would be nice to have it set up so that it uses the full power from the batteries nightly then switches to shore power. Right?
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Jeff,
It's "almost" a straight swap. Different mounting brackets must be fabricated IF one wants the new Magnum to be installed in the same position and space. And, the ME-RC control remote panel will fit exactly where the Dimensions one was but, it will NOT use the same communications cable.
A new, 5-wire cable must be ran to the new Magnum. That can be a real pain. I did it.
Scott
Hi Scott.. not sure what you swapped from and to, but the Magnum is currently mounted on two of the original 4 bolts the Dimensions was on. I removed the lower two bolts and installed 3/8" SS bolts to match. You are partially correct on the cable. I used the exact same cable from the Dimensions remote, just rewired ONE end of the cable to match. I've now done this three times.. it's a simple process to install a flipped RJ-45 connector

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a RV2012 Xantrex (circa 2002) in my scepter. It never did AGS or correctly switched to trickle charge for batts. Support said those are common failures and best solution (vs trying to replace the individual boards) would be to replace the MSW to a purse Sign-wave inverter. I identified all the parts (ags module and batt temp module) and the specific Magnum inverter and a local repair shop said they would do it. That was in July. The shop has since at least damaged 2 of the inverters in some way and the first one showed up damaged in shipping. So.. im hoping this guy can get it figured out but it seems anything but straightforward.

HE called me weds 10 d ago and said he 'burned it up' . I quickly sat down not knowing if he meant the RV or only the inverter. Come to find out it was only invert #3...

Tags
inverter