Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
& what does that mean ?

Also, I may want to stop service when not using the coach & someone said Dish has that option?
With Dish, RV Owners typically buy their receiver. DirecTV doesn't typically sell receivers (it's a lease).

If on Dish with no new customer contract (the 2 year super saver thing) you can stop and start service at will...Truly Pay-as-you-go.
Pay As You Go Satellite TV Packages | DISH

If on DirecTV...they want their lease fees each month.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have never had Dish, but I'll bet they have better customer service!

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
Old 09-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsharon View Post
You can if you take it with you.
True with Dish, too. Just a few weeks ago I learned that the Hopper doesn't need a satellite connection to play DVRs. We have the 211 in the coach but bring the Hopper with us so we can watch programs recorded at home when we're on the road. It also works with the 211 if you've recorded programs on an external hard drive.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #32
pjb

Directv or Dish

In our '05 Providence, we have a KVH tracking system which enables us to have service while motoring down the road. The dish is not HD capable and I do not totally understand how to upgrade and maintain the tracking system we have today in order to get HD. Any help?
pjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #33

We have Dish. I've never had a problem. When I get to a new location I just call them and select the option for Technical Service (not Customer Service), tell them I want to change my service address to get my local stations, give them my current zip code and address, within 10-15 minutes I have my locals.

Since Direct TV and ATT Uverse combined we have a friend who has Uverse at home and Direct TV in his coach. Every time he calls them now to get his locals changed they tell him they can't do it. He's so mad he's changing to Dish. I just call them when I want to suspend service and they don't bill me until I restore it either via phone or online.
NewmarMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #34

I had DirecTV for almost 20 years and had a problem with reception. I talked with customer support and they decided that I need a different receiver because mine was outdated. After waiting 3 months for a receiver and paying the monthly fee, I cancelled and went with DISH. My RV is a 2000 and I haven't upgraded to hi-def.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #35

Got a chuckle out of the comments of 'Too expensive for what you get - with either of them!' (My choice of summarizing, not exact quotes.)

I had planned to go with RF Mogul, for many of the reasons that Joel summarized. But I got a pretty good package deal on the Winegard Travler, and a RAZR Auto OTA antenna and a Sensar IV crank up. So done deal, and all Winegard....

Went with DirecTV. Have not yet called them to check out what is needed for the ATT and DirecTV savings package.

We're not real full timers, we go out for 3-5 months trips, then are checking in on family at our now 'vacation home' in California! We've had no problems calling DirecTV and suspending the account, twice now. Though we have not tried recently, after post ATT takeover. So we'll see how this goes when we call at the end of this month. (They do have a max amount of time it can remain suspended, but that has always been greater then our planned in between trips travels.) So, while maybe not as easy as Dish, they do, or did, allow some monthly relieve while not in use. And note: We still retain Time Warner Cable for vacation home TV and internet, as my MIL took about 16 months to get familiar with using the TWC DVR. Down the road, we may change over to DirecTV at this home too.

One other observation, was at the time we pulled the switch on this phase of our on the road entertainment tools - the RF Mogul was still restarting back up, and the new product that Joel mentioned was just that - still new.

I've read problems on all of the different forms of satellite capturing devices. So they all seem to have some challenges from time to time. Things do happen! I do agree that the RF Mogul is easier to repair in place, and see that as a plus.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
In our '05 Providence, we have a KVH tracking system which enables us to have service while motoring down the road. The dish is not HD capable and I do not totally understand how to upgrade and maintain the tracking system we have today in order to get HD. Any help?
For DirecTV, you don't. No HD with a dome for DirecTV.

For Dish, it is automatic with your receiver and the Dome set for Dish satellites.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #37

Dme verses contraption, Dish vs. Direct, that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
ordering a new coach & need to decide between Dish or Direct TV HD Winegard satellite HD dish as Newmar has either as an option.

How to decide?
Do you want Hi-Def? Do you mind an awful contraption on your roof or is a dome what you are looking for?

If you need HI-Def and no contraption the choice is simple, get the Dome, and Dish service. You cannot get hi-def from direct using a dome, if you don't need hi-Def then you can use either contraption or dome and get either dish or direct, specify no hi-def

I have a dome, Hi-Def and use Dish. I used to take my home receiver to the RV and that was a waste of time. Then when I got a new Newmar Ventana I wanted Hi-Def and I couldn't get it with Direct and a dome so I changed the whole house to Dish, got the dome for the RV and now I have one service that I can turn off the house with one phone call and enjoy the RV anywhere in the USA. One point, Direct will not let you change cities for your locals, at least they wouldn't when I was using them. Dish does it as a mater of course, One simple phone call and it is done. My bill is cheeper and the service is great with Dish, I am a happy camper.

I hope some of my ramblings are helpful to you, Hamp Phillips
Hampphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #38

AT&T phasing out DirecTv sattelite in 3-5 years...

See article online: http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/n...s.html?ana=twt
I have had Directv because of Dish inferior channel selection and bad customer service reputation. AT&T apparently does not want to be in satellite business. AT&T don't care about RV customers. They have poor/no service in southwest. If you plan to keep your rig...
Dave the mnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Question, if you have a DVR in your bedroom at home can you watch those recorded programs on the Direct TV receiver in the rig while on the road?
No, DTV tells me it is not possible without streaming which uses up time if you have WIFI and could be expensive. They told me to take the DVR with me but notify them so they can turn on your Satellite receiver in your MH and turn off the one in the home. However you must have a full sized dish on the roof or portable you can set up. We attended a FMCA rally last June in Indiana and the satellite guy told us the small dome roof dishes are going out by 2019-2020 and we would only be able to pickup DIRECTV or DISH using a full size dish mounted on the roof or on a portable tripod after the small dome receivers are surplused and unable to receive signals, similar to Analog going to Digital signals.
J79Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Sorry about that statement is incorrect as I have a Hopper 3 and I know of several others with Hopper 3s in their RV.

There is a difference between hat is allowed and what a CSR may tell you.

The only requirement for Pay-As-You-Go is that the equipment be purchased.
I use my Hopper 3 in my RV without problem, well unless I'm in a park with LOTS of trees all around. I use the "Dish Aline" app to aim the dish after setting the elevation and azimuth.
Ken from Florida.
kschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #41

DIRECTV vs DISH

I currently have DirecTV/ATT but I read an article recently, I believe it was in the Business news section of the Dallas TX newspaper, and there is speculation that ATT wants to move the company DirecTV more towards streaming. They apparently do not like satellites.
1stmotorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #42

The demise of DirecTV satellites is highly overstated. The broadband infrastructure is in no shape to handle the 15 million DirecTV subscribers.

As for Dish Service, I find it fine. Some people have problem with service providers that has nothing to do with the service provider.

Channel selection between Dish and DirecTV? Only a couple of sports related channels are unique to either provider.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish