Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #1

Directv satellites

I'm buying a new coach and I'm wondering which is the best satellite receiver? Do you have any recommendations for configuration, front and back TV. Thanks
Kampnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would strongly recommend you consider the RF Mogul sat dish. It is made well, reliable, field serviceable and excellent support from the manufacturer. You can have it configured for either Direct TV or DISH.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #3

I will second the R F Mogul Eagle Antenna, well built and most importantly you don't have to send it back if repair is needed like a Winegard Traveler.

Also, I would recommend DISH Network over DirecTV. Dish is a lot more RV friendly in their approach to doing business such as no contract Pay-As-You-Go payment plan, easy to switch locals when traveling, HD reception over a dome antenna .....None of which is available with DirecTV.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've had Direct TV in our stick house since 2004 so it was our choice for the RV. If we did not have Direct TV at home, we may certainly have chosen DISH for the RV. They seem to have a bit more RV-friendly service.

Another consideration is the fact that Direct TV has announced they will discontinue all standard definition service in 2019. So, if you want to use Direct TV and see high definition programming, you will need to have an open sat dish like the RF Mogul Eagle or the Winegard Traveler. You can use an open dish with the proper LNB's on a tripod for Direct's HD programming.

If you select DISH network, your sat antenna options for high definition programming are greater as some of the dome satellite antennae will work. Not sure if DISH plans any future changes like Direct TV.

I see from your profile that you are in Oregon. There is a great RV satellite dealer/installer in Junction City. The company is called Advanced Satellite Systems. You might want to give them a call to get more expert guidance.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Antennas come in 2x2 types Dome and Dish Roof mount or Portable

Domes pick up ONE sat at a time and at this time NObody makes a dome that does DirecHDTV, and Direc is discontinuint SD so ...

Dish uses 3 sats (So does Direct) and domes will pick up all 3 but only one at a time so for a SINGLE receiver like a VIP-211 they work great, but for a dual channel DVR type or multiple VIP's. NOt so grate (one dome per channel)

Dish antennas. No matter what receiver you get you match the dish For example a Dish 100.1 or .2 or .3 or a Direc SWM. Just be sure it is the proper dish for the receiver not all work with all.

Roof top. Great in the desert, Just push a button and it locks on
Not so great if you are parked under the "Evil Signal Eating Tree" as I often am.

Portable antennas. With 50-100 feet of RG-6 can be set out of the shadow of said tree in many cases and thus work.

Receivers.. Most popular DISH is the VIP 211 or the HOPPER but remember what I said about single/multi channel

Direc I woudl nto recommend at this time due to the discontinuing of SD broadcasts.

But then I use exclusively OVER THE AIR. So much TV, so little time to watch. Who needs an expensive Sat plan>???
Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Dish features:
- Pay as you go
- Wally receiver (has all the advanced interface goodies from the Hopper and RF control and can do limited DVR duties)
- HD with Dome antennas
- Hopper system (requires Winegard Trav'ler or RF Mogul antennas. Does not work with domes)
- Distant network service available
- Smart Phone App to refresh receiver and change your service location if you have an Outdoor account

DirecTV
- Customer Service not RV friendly
- SD only with dome antennas
- Much better with Trav'ler or RF Mogul
- Lots of receivers to choose from
- Genie system (like Dish Hopper)
- Distant network service

Your choice. Both systems work better with the Trav'ler or RF Mogul antennas.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #7

It's interesting that not one person answered the OP's questions. (After posting, see luvlabs did provide some info.) I did not see them ask which service they should use or which dish manufacturer. My suggestion would be to contact the manufacturer of whichever dish system you have or are considering and ask which of the CURRENT DirecTV receivers are compatible with their dish. Then decide if you want a regular receiver or DVR. We have had DirecTV for over 15 years with absolutely no complaints. We had it for over 10 years on our boat and now for 3 years in the RV. I do all of my own installations so that has saved some issues. The Genie receivers are now the current models and work with most but not all dish models. But do talk to your dish manufacturer first. I installed our Winegard Travl'r almost 2 years ago and after over 15,000 miles of traveling, absolutely love it. We do carry a regular dish and tripod for those times when there are too many trees at the campsite. Sometimes this isn't even enough and for those times, the DVR comes n handy. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I would strongly recommend you consider the RF Mogul sat dish. It is made well, reliable, field serviceable and excellent support from the manufacturer. You can have it configured for either Direct TV or DISH.

+1

with DirecTV HR24
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #9

It would depend on how many tuners you want. If two will do then get the HR24. If you want more get a Genie which will be either the HR44 or HR54. Both of these have 5 tuners. If you need more than one receiver then get a HR24 and a Genie. All of these will work with either the Winegard Trav'ler or the RFMogul dish.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, satellite