Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What type of work do you need done, I may know of people who can do some of it for you. though I can only make one recommendation. It's about 30-40 minutes out of Savannah don't know if he works in Savannah but he does Darien.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #16

I'm curious about a couple things...

is it getting dealer warranty work that is the issue? Or, just any actual dealer work regardless of warranty?

Or, is it any work from any shop?
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #17

We took our Winnie back to the factory in Iowa and could not be happier with the service and quality of repairs. I would estimate they did 15 to 20K worth of work, all covered under the factory warranty that had ended a few months earlier. We found one exceptional dealer in Florida who took us in on short notice and had a major problem on the coach repaired in one day while we were at the zoo. I feel your pain as I have had to still address a number of issues while we were on the road. If your sticks and bricks had wheels on it you would have the same problems or more.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #18

OP: Sorry for your problems but not all motorhomes or repair facilities are like what you describe. We traveled constantly for 8 years in our motorhome and 8 years in a 5th wheel. We didn't have any problems with either.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:40 AM   #19
RV LIFE Support Team

Have you looked in rvservicereviews.com for anyone? This is a good site and if anyone has a rapri place good or bad it should be entered into this site.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
WV Bum

Hey , I appreciate all of the response. I will try to answer some of the questions you have ask me. First I have 2015 Winnebago 27 N.. with app. 11,000 miles. I have been lucky to find a truck co. That change oil . What I need done now is as follows. 3 slides on coach needs service ( nothing wrong that I know off). Roof check, (I had a leak on front cap last spring , which I believe was caused by installation of satellite dish. ) , generator service , battery compartment cleaned and batteries tested. ( I know fluids levels are good) , wash & wax ( I have some medical problems that did not allow me to wax this summer). I have contacted a MH Repair Co in north Georgia , that was the co. That Told me that I need to leave for ten days. (5 Hrs away) I didn't mean to say I was not willing to pay a reasonable rate per hr . I just think they should fix what needs fixed for that charge . The list of repairs I have done that required the coach to be taken back , is way to many to list. And Some I am still living with. Wa8yxm I am very interested in the name of the Repair service in Darien Ga. if you have had good luck with them. It doesn't do any good for me to list all of the bad experiences I have had . I sure do appreciate this Forum for you response.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #21

It would be so helpful if those having repair work or even maintenance done to post their results on this site. Unfortunately, folks are not doing this. They'll do reviews on campgrounds but not servicing which is more important.

Here are the ones listed for Georgia and there are two listed with good reviews for Savannah and I'm sure there are other towns nearby listed:

RV Service Reviews
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
Hey , I appreciate all of the response. I will try to answer some of the questions you have ask me. First I have 2015 Winnebago 27 N.. with app. 11,000 miles. I have been lucky to find a truck co. That change oil . What I need done now is as follows. 3 slides on coach needs service ( nothing wrong that I know off). Roof check, (I had a leak on front cap last spring , which I believe was caused by installation of satellite dish. ) , generator service , battery compartment cleaned and batteries tested. ( I know fluids levels are good) , wash & wax ( I have some medical problems that did not allow me to wax this summer). I have contacted a MH Repair Co in north Georgia , that was the co. That Told me that I need to leave for ten days. (5 Hrs away) I didn't mean to say I was not willing to pay a reasonable rate per hr . I just think they should fix what needs fixed for that charge . The list of repairs I have done that required the coach to be taken back , is way to many to list. And Some I am still living with. Wa8yxm I am very interested in the name of the Repair service in Darien Ga. if you have had good luck with them. It doesn't do any good for me to list all of the bad experiences I have had . I sure do appreciate this Forum for you response.
Your truck company might be interested in the generator oil change and battery work, if you wish to use that company again.
I would think most of that work could be done by a mobile tech which would simplify your life significantly. It would be worth checking service reviews and then making some phone calls to ask. I would not want to pay tech wages for the wash and wax, though local techs might suggest worthy detailing companies. A mobile tech might let you watch so next time you might want to do your own generator oil change. The mobile tech should be able to handle the roof inspection. As an owner,I'd be happy to watch that, so I'd know that very important roof to sidewall seam was carefully and properly inspected and documented.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
Our first coach was like that, every time darn we went somewhere I was working on it. 1998 Coachmen Santara Class C (always coach stuff, not the chassis). It took me 4 seasons to get the problems worked out and all of the poor designs and workmanship modified. I was at the point you are at now. I told my wife standing in the coach "one more thing breaks, this thing is out of here"! Nothing broke after, we still laugh about that., it was like it had feelings . This one I have had nothing but a shower head fail, and a couple of drawer slides break. Everything else were upgrades or routine maintenance.
HA HA! We had a '98 Santara Type A, same thing, every trip out I had to fix something with the cabinetry. Got rid of it for a 2000 Dutch Star DP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #24

Your "to do" list isn't that bad at all. Question, is the coach stored where it can also be serviced? I am fortunate I have a great A-Z Mobile RV, Inc - mobile RV repair. I also use a technician I hire privately to do my chassis maintenance. Been using the mobile RV people for 15 years and the engine/chassis tech for about 12 years. My sources would be of no use to you my only point is maybe this is an option for you? Not dragging the coach around for service may just make ownership a lot easier.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #25
RV LIFE Support Team

We take our 2015 36Y Vista to our regular mechanic who does our regular maintenance and, if we supply the filter, will do the generator oil change etc. also. I am assuming yours is a gasser as is ours. As to slide maintenance I know of none that has to be done and we have had ours 2 years now with no problems. We spray the slides every 3-6 months with the special spray(green can) that was recommended and we bought on Amazon. I don't have it handy right now.

Regarding the leak, if you haven't had a leak since I wouldn't worry about it. Unless there is a leak you cannot tell from looking at the caulking if there is a potential leak. Sometimes there afre leaks based on the wind direction and it really can't be diagnosed or seen except in a certain set of circumstances.

Regarding the wash and wax we just take ours through Blue Beacon a couple times a year. See no need to wax it.

Regarding your other problems it may be worthwhile to list them for us to comment on them. We may have easy solutions for them.

Owning an RV is like owning a house, lots of little things keep going wrong. I will say that our Winnebago has been the best rig we have owned and we have been rving for 40 years.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
We all share your pain. RV's are all junk, but they sure offer a great adventure.

Take your Winnebago to the factory, in Iowa. Lichtsin in Forest City is a good dealer for repairs, if you cannot get in at the factory.

Other than those 2, I do not know anyone I would let even wash my RV

So, just take your time, find a decent repairman, and, enjoy the best of RVing....it is fun
Old 01-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #27

I had just read an article about how shoddy the workmanship is on the new RVs. The authors suggestion was never buy a new RV. Or bring someone who is qualified to go over the RV top to bottom. I was surprised to hear that the outlets were not even mounted securely.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
HA HA! We had a '98 Santara Type A, same thing, every trip out I had to fix something with the cabinetry. Got rid of it for a 2000 Dutch Star DP.
Small World
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote