Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Disappointed

over two years ago I become a class A owner. I love driving the unit and getting out and seeing new things and meeting new people. I even like working on minor things on the MH. That all being said , I might not be able to continue . I am so disappointed in getting repair on the MH. I live in Savannah Ga. and believe me that the MH Repair facilities are just terrible. I even called a place 5 Hrs away . I was told I would need to leave the MH 10 days once I got an appointment. I admit that I am not skillful enough to do a lot of things on the MH. I know a lot of you are very skilled and can do a lot of work yourself. Which is a blessing I know now . I never dreamed how bad it would be to get quality work done. I should have done a research on this before I bought the coach. It seems that most of the ones I have been to , are slammed with work or I know by just talking to them that they are not knowledgeable about the work I need done. What work I have got done has been poor. I have spent to many weeks at the repair shop. Some of it has been caused by the poor quality in building the MH. If someone is thinking of buying a MH I think you need to look into the this . One doesn't think of this when you buy a new coach, I assure you it is a major problem for me . If you can't work on it yourself , you need to make sure you have a facility that will do quality work on you unit. Your recourse in getting poor work fixed is next to impossible. If any one wants to know the Facilities I had the poor done just e-mail me and I will give you the names. I bought a New Winnebago thinking that this is a company that you could have trust in . WRONG !!!! I found that they are all real good until it becomes something that requires them spending some money, down hill quickly even the tone in their voices. All this been said , I assume I am writing this for two reasons , to get it off my chest, and just to let people know that do a better job researching before buying a motor home. I am not discouraging from buying a MH , just make sure you have someone to do QUALITY work . Even on a new unit you will need WORK DONE. Please not think this a Small proublem. If you don't know it has been a record breaking year for MH sales and manufacturing. That means more will need repaired . I believe the problem will only get worse. I have also found that the repair charges can be out of this world. Sorry to be so doom and gloom. That has just been my experience in over two years.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, MH ownership isn't for everyone! Be handy with tools or your credit card/checkbook.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yes, MH ownership isn't for everyone! Be handy with tools or your credit card/checkbook.
Agree, And you need patience. More patience than anything else in life.
Unless you can fix things yourself. I basically decided after my coach 5 months at my dealer for work that I will do the work going forward. Most of it is not real hard.
And FYI, I am a very very patient person.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
We have been through the same issues of poor RV service. Many calls unreturned and if they do call back appointments scheduled 6 months out. If and when we bring the coach for service the repairs are never on schedule. Ultimately we found an independent (not a dealer) service tech who is fantastic. Easy to schedule service and quality work. He also is approved for warranty work on a number of brands. Do a google search for RV repairs in your area and see what you find. Good luck!
dairy-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #5

I hear and understand your frustration. We fulltiming, so having the rv in the shop for an extended period is a major inconvenience. We bought a used rig a year ago, so I too have much to learn. Fortunately, our coach has not had too many or severe of problems, though I did wait weeks trying to get into a truck center when the engine was skipping.

Are your current issues covered under warranty? Or will you be paying out of pocket? If the latter, have you considered a mobile rv tech? If you find the right one locally, much of your frustration might evaporate. You will know where your coach is located and how/when work is actively being done. You might even be able to watch and learn as the tech does the job. Check rv service reviews on line and call local campgrounds to ask who they recommend. If you do not find one near your home, maybe you can find one near a favored destination.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
WV Bum, what's wrong with your coach?
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WV BUM, have you considered trying to find an independent mobile repair tech? Some of them are really good, and their prices will usually be well below the dealers.

I understand your frustration. I have not had any major problems with my Monaco Windsor, even though it is 15 years old! All of the minor problems that have occurred have been within my own capabilities to repair.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WV BUM, have you considered trying to find an independent mobile repair tech? Some of them are really good, and their prices will usually be well below the dealers.

I understand your frustration. I have not had any major problems with my Monaco Windsor, even though it is 15 years old! All of the minor problems that have occurred have been within my own capabilities to repair.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
My son in law is an independent mobile tech. He's been doing it for 17 years now and he won't work on a rig like mine at all!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #9

you might also get better quicker service if you tell them that this is your home, you live in it, and the repairs have to be handled while you wait - no 'leave it with for a couple of weeks til we can get to it' scenario allowed...

we've not had the issues you speak of - we full time and have always had any facility, like Camping World, jump on it fairly quickly from when we arrived.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our first coach was like that, every time darn we went somewhere I was working on it. 1998 Coachmen Santara Class C (always coach stuff, not the chassis). It took me 4 seasons to get the problems worked out and all of the poor designs and workmanship modified. I was at the point you are at now. I told my wife standing in the coach "one more thing breaks, this thing is out of here"! Nothing broke after, we still laugh about that., it was like it had feelings . This one I have had nothing but a shower head fail, and a couple of drawer slides break. Everything else were upgrades or routine maintenance.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I found a mobile tech who does a lot of the work on my coach I can't. He is much cheaper than a dealer, and I don't have to leave it for 10 days.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I've got a guy that comes to my house, let's himself in the rig, fixes what I ask him to fix, and leaves a bill on the counter. He loves insurance work, as they pay 125/hr and he usually charges 75. He does repair and maintenance. I live in the SLC area, but I gotta believe there is a guy like that out there who wants 75/hr. And yeah, if you can't afford 75/hr on a very fragile contraption like a MH, you shouldn't have a MH. Wish you'd have known this before you bought.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #13

I have a local guy, mobile plus he has a shop at his house that does goid work. I send people there all the time, sometimes I see an ad on Craigslist looking for an RV mechanic and send them there.

Post an add on Craigslist, you may find someone in your area
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We purchased our Dolphin while NRV was in operation, it never say a dealers shop. We use a highly rated repair facility for major items, for the other stuff, myself or a good mobile service in the local area.

I doubt a new unit is in our future, unless a factory moves back into the SoCal area, dealer shops are a black hole.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote