Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Disected Air CLeaner

I know air cleaner life is often discussed with varying opinions. I decided to dissect my air cleaner so I/We could see how dirty it was after 18 months and 15K miles. My coach uses the Parker Racor Ecolite sealed air cleaner. This is hardly scientific, but is a good depiction of a sealed air cleaner.

I will say up front that I like to change my air cleaner frequently, which is a personal choice and I'm not advocating that you do as I do. This air cleaner saw half of it's life in California and the other half on a coast to coast trip. There was a combination of dusty conditions and rain.

This is a photo of my Filter Minder before the change.

Cutting this thing in half proved to be tough. As I disassembled it, the following photo is about 2/3rds of what came out of the air cleaner (dirty side). Not really an unexpected amount.

Lastly, here is a photo of the element cut in half. This air cleaner design flows the air from the inside to the outside. Keep in mind, the filter, when new, is bright white. It was fairly dirty between the pleats (hard to photograph).

The instructions and warranty within the air cleaner box stated that the filter should be changed every 12 months or when the filter minder reaches 20-25.

I would admit that this air cleaner is still in pretty good shape and could go at least another 5K - 10K, which would be two years for me.

As I said, this was not put out to cause a debate, but to give everyone an idea what these filters look like at 15K miles.

Side Note:.....I use to buy the elements for the Donaldson filter on my Monaco a year in advance and keep them stored in the garage. The paperwork that came with the above filter states that no filter should be used if it has exceeded the three year shelf life. For me, that means no more buying these things in advance. Buy them when you actually need them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #2

Great info, thanks for sharing! 😜👍🏻

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i changed mine last year..it turns out it was original, and not the replacement i was assured was changed waaay back. anyway, it was vintage 2008 and i changed it for a new one in 2016, pictures below, it was not what i would consider dirty or damaged in anyway.

i think 12 months change out is excessive for my usage and driving.
i imagine in other areas of the country it may not be as good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	origianl air filter 2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	149120   Click image for larger version

Name:	original air filter 4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	149121  

Click image for larger version

Name:	original air filter 3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	149122  
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2021 F250 or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How did you cut that baby in half?

I too bought a couple air filters in advance and was thinking that maybe I should buy a new fresh one for my next change instead of one that's been in my garage for a couple years.
That's your own asphalt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery 40E

I just inspected mine at 15k miles. It was very clean inside. Found a paper towel from inside from Fleetwood factory....
Carefully shop vac'd it out, very little dust.
Buy the way, I did a water drop test in one spot. The drop evaporated before it soaked into the waxy paper. No more worries in heavy rain.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use a angle grinder to cut off the metal skin and then a Skill Saw to cut the material. After inspection, I found that it was probably more water resistant than I expected.

I initially tried to cut the filter medium with a razor knife, but it was very difficult to cut. Lots of nylon/plastic structure.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Great post Don, very informative, thanks. BTW, Chevy finally has my Colorado dialed in.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote