Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

Dish network or Orbi for our Mirada?

We had only had our new motorhome with Direct TV satellite when Direct quit broadcasting some signal and we lost all service in the RV. Said our satellite was incompatible. Long story short, dropped Direct.

With tailgating coming up I'm looking for alternates. Dish has a tailgating package where you only pay for the months you use. My question is, when the Winguard Direct TV Satellite was installed, does that cable differ from what I would need for Dish or is all satellite cable the same? Anyone have exeperience with Dish. I've only know Direct-using folks.

Now friends who own houseboats are telling me about something called Orbi. I've tried to read to see if it would work in an RV where you don't have an internet connection. Anyone had any experience with that?

Thanks in advance for any answers or ideas.
MamaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #2

We have Dish and it is great. Pay the bill when you're in the coach and want service, don't pay when you're not.
Sorry I can't help with your other questions.
Gocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe Orbi is WiFi based. Lots of folks stream and use their cell phone or a separate hot spot. Problem is we keep going to places with minimal to zero cell service.

You cannot depend on WiFi in parks. They do not have the band width to stream.

If you had direct in your coach, the coaxial cable is fine for Dish. You will need a new receiver and a Dish compatible antenna. You can also go with a Dish month to month plan (no contract) and buy your receiver and antenna.

Is your current antenna the Winegard Traveler? If so, so contact Winegard and if can be converted to Dish. If it is the small dome antenna, it maybe simply changing a dip switch under the dome.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Orby TV was a satellite company that thought they could compete with DirecTV and Dish by offering their product for considerably less than the competition. They opened their doors in 2019 and closed in 2021 - declared bankruptcy shortly after closing, with over $100 million in debt after their first, and only, year in business.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #5

I just put dish in my new coach, and am very pleased with it all (hardware is good, customer service is good) I just ordered a portable antenna. They talked me through the options , and I had the new antenna on my doorstep in 2 1/2 days. The pay as you go option is MUCH more RV friendly than the directv package.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #6

The coaxial cables are al the same. You may also find that the Winegard dish can be reconfigured for Dish.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:47 AM   #7

I'm curious about what issues you are having with Directv..... we've had directv in our coach since 2013 with no issues and no changes to the equipment. I just take the receivers from home and plug them in the coach when we hit the road.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #8

The wiring is good, but you will likely need a different switch and different LNBs for the dish. Some newer coaches are pre-wired for both Direct TV and Dish.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
For Dish do you have to notify them to suspend the service of is it set up that you just don't pay?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
For Dish do you have to notify them to suspend the service of is it set up that you just don't pay?
You pay for a month at a time. To suspend, just don't pay the next bill. To reactivate, go on-line and pay for a month.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I'm curious about what issues you are having with Directv..... we've had directv in our coach since 2013 with no issues and no changes to the equipment. I just take the receivers from home and plug them in the coach when we hit the road.
We had a RoadTrip satellite that was only two years old. Went to tailgate one weekend in 2019 and nothing from Direct. I worked on it called for help and was told that they had quit broadcasting in the band that our satellite picked up and it would not longer work.
I had received bad info from Direct before so I called Winguard support and was told the same thing. Our bill had gone up to almost three hundred dollars for ATT phone, internet and Direct TV because they refused to bundle the price for us due to where we live. Since, there was no. tailgating in 2020 didn't try to solve the problem until now.
Ended up going with Dish because of the easy on/off when not using it. As someone said, you have to have internet for Orbi to work then you pay an Orbi fee plus your internet which can run big if you are tailgating and watch a bunch of games. Initial impression of Dish folk pretty good.
MamaKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, dish, mirada