Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Tailgater I am going to sell (purchased in 2012). It has been great but I am switching to Direct TV due to the satellite dish on my new rig, plus the fact that I have Direct TV in the S&B. PM me if you are interested.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #16

We have used a tailgater for the last year in intermittent use. Strengths are ease of use, and it works even if it can't see all three satellites because of trees (we camp at state parks with lots of them) even though you don't get all programs. Smartphone apps (DishForMyRV) help greatly in showing where sats are for setup. Strong storms block signals just like at home. 1-800-333-3474 gets good tech help, sometimes needed for "reauthorization" of receiver if you don't use it for several months. Far easier than my old method of setting up a dish on a stand, and signal strength is nearly as good.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #17

Tailgater

Have used ours for almost 4 years now and Would Not leave home without it! We have the same dish package as at home and can get our home local channels where ever we may be. When at home (like now for winter) I have an outside hookup and have the tailgater hooked up in the main home. Like right now, I'm in the back of the house watching Daytona 500 and the DW is up front watching whatever. But, if you disconnect it for a week or two, be prepared to call Dish.

Joe and Sarah (sajo)
Mutt named Carley
2015 Tiffin 31SA
2014 Jeep Latitude 4X4
Demco baseplate and tow bars
Brake Buddy sup. braking
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #18

Sajo, it's not the tailgater that's affected by being disconnected, it's the receiver, the box, that's between the dish and the tv. It will hold programming for about 2-3 weeks unplugged from 110v power. After that they loose everything. I have to call dish to "zap" the box if we don't use the satellite in the MH for a month or so. Guess we should plan trips sooner so the box doesn't go out!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #19

TBS- POPS
Your right, but it's just a pain to call Dish! Besides, rarely are we home two - three weeks in a row once spring gets here. May not be gone long each time but we enjoy our Tiffin.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
ditto....... We had a Dish tailgater and 211 receiver with external hard drive for Recording. On our Third season with it. We have a way better success rate then the Dish on the roof since I can move it to a better location. Use the "Dish for my Rv" app for ease of locating the best line of site.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #21

Based on the reviews here I would like to ask a question. Since my coach is wired for an outside TV that I don't have installed and don't use, can I use that coax connection to get the Tailgater signal into the coach since that coax runs right to the selection box? I could simply disconnect from the selection box and connect to the Tailgater box as the input instead.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Vettenuts,

I do exactly that with my Tailgater and it works fine.

Scott H.
2002 Holiday Rambler Vacationer / Honda Pilot
scott@huttonet.org
Smhutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi All,
I to have the tailgator,But I use it with the older 411 receiver that I take from the S&B,that way I don't have to call Dish.I to have it ran from the cable in the outside bay.I carried out west last year and didn't have any problems.Good Luck and Safe travels to all.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, I too have experienced times where the receiver needs to be rebooted. When there is a period of time where it may need rebooting, I hook up and set on the ground and call for a reboot when I am loading the coach. That way there is no issues at the campground or delays.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes. They claim it is best to have a single coax to Dish receiver box. Them HDMI from receiver box to TV. Do NOT hook up thru coach receiver box that lets you select which
Signal you want. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish