Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2020, 08:03 AM   #1

Dish TV/Winegard SK-1000

I hope this post is not long but this is the only way for me to try and understand. I recently installed a new Winegard SK-1000 satellite on my motorhome.(Satellite manufactured after 12/15/19 so it has the new digital requirements to avoid all the extra) I wanted to just move my DISH Hopper 3 from the house to the motorhome when we travel. I tried the connection but I can only find component wiring running from above the drivers compartment to the TV. The component connection did not work. I did find 1 HDMI cable in the lower compartment under the TV. I believe it goes to the TV only and the other to the Jenson Radio for surround sound.

If I connect a coax cable from the satellite port above driver to the Dish Hopper3 unit (I ran on the floor) and then the HDMI cable to the TV, it will work as it should. The ideal situation is to have the HDMI cable or coax cable from the satellite port above driver go direct out of sight to the TV compartment.

I have tried looking at the wiring diagrams but I get lost understanding.

Hopefully someone will have some easy ideas for a novice and newby.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You'll want your Hopper 3 connected to your main TV with a HDMI cable, and you'll want to get to the point where you see the Hopper 3 output on your TV.

You'll want your Hopper 3 SatTV coax jack connected to the coax coming from your Trav'ler, you want the coax that is connected to the "C" port if there's more than one. If you had the Trav'ler installer set your RV up for a wired Joey 2 receiver on a 2nd TV then you may have a Hybrid Solo Hub (little box with bright orange sticker) in line between the Trav'ler and the Hopper 3.

Here's an image of one TV with Hopper 3 and multiple TV with Hopper 3 and a Coax fed Joey 2 or Joey 4K. This image is accurate ONLY for the new version of the Trav'ler that has the DPH LNB , which you stated you have ...

I'm guessing that if your sticks and bricks location you are moving the Hopper 3 from is in Avon Park Florida then it uses Eastern Arc there. The dish on top of your RV in multi-sat mode uses Western Arc and likely shows 110* 119* 129* on the control box when you power up the dish and it completes search.

When moving back and forth between S&B and RV you'll have to update your Hopper 3 as follows:

Go to Dish Diagnostics and go to Dish (press 3 on remote) Screen and select Test Installation (press 5 on remote). You'll get a Check Switch Status Progress box. If all goes well in the RV if the control box shows 110* 119* 129* Check Switch should find those 3 sats and show those 3 sats with green checks. You'll also have to do test installation when you move the Hopper back to your S&B.

You may lose your local channels if your local S&B market is not also broadcast on the western arc sats, or you are too far away from your home S&B location. You may have to give Dish a different address that will map to a local market that can be received on Western Arc. You can do this over the phone or via chat - just tell them you need to change your service address.

To find a local market that will work on Western Arc here's a map:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DISH Television Station Markets (9-12-2017).jpg
Views:	232
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	283265  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #3

I am not using a Joey in the RV. Winegard says that I still need the Orange Hybrid Solo Hub even with 1 TV. The diagram does not show the Hub for 1 TV. Should I remove the Hybrid Hub? I know HDMI cabling is best but will it work with component wiring?
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Personally I have the Hybrid Solo Hub, mounted indoors, between my Dish Trav'ler with Western Arc DPH LNB with the 2 client ports on the Hub terminated. This is what Dish originally required for all residential installs even if there was only 1 Hopper 3 at the residence, so that's the way I did my RV, tool. I have never tried it without the Hybrid Solo Hub but I know it works with one in between the Trav'ler and the Hopper 3.

The ODU port of the Hybrid Solo Hub must be connected to the Trav'ler, and the Host port must be connected to the Hopper 3. You might confirm that if it has never has worked yet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Trust me on this as I dealt with this exact situation for months until I finally realized that there is no shortcut to the install. I put the solo hub between the TWO cables from the satellite dish, then one goes to the Hopper 3 and the other goes to a Joey if using. Works perfect! I'd recommend installing the HDMI cable in the overhead cabinet. It's a bit of a job but makes connection much easier and better quality. IMO! Good luck.
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
One last important item is that I had to use a node part#185834 as the orange one from home would not work.
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #7

There is another option. On my system all my cables go to a from my electronics cabinet. I use a hopper and one joey. No node or hub. I connect the hopper to the joey with a cat5 cable at the wlan ports. Works great.

Tags
dish