Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It is the whole getting scaffolding set up that has delayed my project, I bought the vinyl back in January, maybe next week I do plan to take photos. As to the vinyl itself, this is the same type that is used for solid color vinyl vehicle lettering with the color going all the way through the vinyl, not just printed on top like the photo realistic truck signs that are common these days. This same type of vinyl has also been traditionally used for pin stripe work, so you can sort of think of this project as very very very wide pin striping.
Not sure about where you are but here in Maryland there is always a good deal on Scaffolding on Craigs list - just buy it use it and resell it, cheaper than renting.

Wheels might be another issue - I've got 8 now as they used to be harder to come by - just need to find the right shop for the weekend.

Clean and well lit are always issues unless they are used for paint.

Good luck, will look to this post for your Pictures - take lot's

Busskipper
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
two 10' ladders with a few 2 by's can work
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Very interesting, I'm going to tackle mine this Summer.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I will say that you're wasting your TIME and MONEY. I had a 2005 Diplomat that the clear coat started going bad on the front cap. Tried the rattle can, but issue came back. I then bought a matching color and repainted from the top of the windshield back on the front cap. That lasted about two years before it started looking bad again.

Here's the problem, you'll be chasing this issue all around the upper roof line for years. Fix this spot and another spot goes bad. You hear people say they fixed theirs with a sprayer or rattle can and it worked great, but they don't come back and tell you how it failed two years later.

There is only one repair that works. Repaint the entire roof line above the drip rail. On my Diplomat, it had three colors, brown, tan and green. All three colors rolled over the edge of the roof. Typically, the first color to go is the darker colors. When I finally realized that the clear coat issue had to be repaired professionally, I choose the lighter color in my scheme (tan) and had the entire roof line painted in the tan. We rolled the color over the dark caps and stopped the new paint at a natural break in the body. The front was the windshield and the rear was the bend in the upper cap. The total bill was $3500.00. The coach looked FANTASTIC when it was done and there was a great feeling of pride and repair when this issue was finally fixed right.

My Newmar had a paint issue at two years old along the cap on the driver's side, above the drip rail. My entire roof line was black and I knew I would eventually be repainting that roof. Newmar paid for the repair in the damaged area and I paid for the rest to be repainted.

Here is a photo where I changed the roof line on my Newmar from black to white. The white used on the roof is the white in one of body colors. It actually made the coach look longer.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Don what rattle can did you use?

Did it have plunger on the bottom of the can?

How many coats?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Rattle Cans will not work !
Just my experience !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
this is a new type of can