Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Snap Pads

If we’re just talking about hydraulic jack pads, I used to use oversized 1/2” plastic cutting boards - easy to deploy and stow, light weight.

On my latest coach, however, I went with Snap Pads. I really like these - no fuss, no worries, great pads.

You can check out Snap Pads here.
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hyatt View Post
The stall mat works well. Or go to a home depot / lowes and buy a couple of pieces of pressure treated 2x12. Cut into squares. I like these as they are very strong, yet a 12x12 piece doesn't weigh a ton. I cross-grain them when I put them on the ground (with a piece of stall mat on the bottom which can be cleaned easily if it gets muddy/etc.) Putting them all down with the grain going the same way invites splitting. Alternating layers grain-wise and I have had zero problems. I made 14 of the pieces. I have, on occasion, had to use all of 'em. But in general I put the rubber pad down, with two layers of 2x12 and the jacks don't have to come out very far at all to level things. I have seen two bent jacks (not mine) this year. Bother on same MH at a small CG that was a nice place to stay, but not very level. Guy had backed in, leveled, failed with excessive slope, so he found some pieces of 2x6 and put 'em under the back jacks (rear end of coach was low). Leveled it, and while he was hooking up power and such, heard this loud noise. Rear wheels were off the ground, the coach moved backward and those hyper-extended rear jacks bent. Would not go back up very far and you could see the bend in them.

Guy said he thought about pulling in forward but didn't think he had enough sewer/water hose and electrical cord to reach to the pedestal stuff that would now be on the passenger front corner rather than the driver rear corner.

Personally I put as much stuff under my jacks as will fit so that they extend the minimum distance possible. Gives the cylinder/ram a LOT of overlap to avoid bending anything... These things are strong as the devil when lifting straight up. Not so strong when side loads are imposed.

I have stayed in one camp site where we could not level. Chose to just sleep with slides in rather than jacking rear wheels off the ground. Slope was significantly excessive and no alternative sites available. Rear wheels up seems bad. Even with fronts chocked there is potential movement possible.
Bob Hyatt my husband just made the same jack pads today...
Old 09-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #45

So not to take this thread in another direction, but what about the folks have the kind of levelors/jacks that come down at an angle vs straight down? Hopefully you know what I mean...not sure if there's a different name for them????

I've tried bringing a few pieces of 2x12's but sometimes there's not enough room to fit even one piece underneath, mainly when it's really soft ground/mud. I suppose I could make the ramps and use them to help roughly level it and then attempt to use the jack??

Any ideas would be great.

TIA
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
So not to take this thread in another direction, but what about the folks have the kind of levelors/jacks that come down at an angle vs straight down? Hopefully you know what I mean...not sure if there's a different name for them????

I've tried bringing a few pieces of 2x12's but sometimes there's not enough room to fit even one piece underneath, mainly when it's really soft ground/mud. I suppose I could make the ramps and use them to help roughly level it and then attempt to use the jack??

Any ideas would be great.

TIA
Are you talking about fold up jacks ? The ones that hinge up horizontal ?

There should be enough room for a peice of 3/4 plywood otherwise drive up on some blocks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #47

Yes, this old rig has the 'fold up' type. Yeah, I think that's probably what I'll have to do (drive up on some blocks) as putting down just a 3/4" would flex too much I would think.

Thanks!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
here is a picture of what I built based on this thread. I am planning on using the rubber pads I already had to add more height to the jack pads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180906_174156.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	217939  
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great job Larry you nailed it I also was following all the great ideas out there
Mark2250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #50

Treated 2x12 cut to size for a ramp and same size for the jacks, cheap, easy and you don’t feel bad if you forget them.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
here is a picture of what I built based on this thread. I am planning on using the rubber pads I already had to add more height to the jack pads.
Niiiiiiiice!!!
Old 09-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #52

Pads

My rig is a tripod system and had a lot of trouble with the front sinking. I made a 46 inch pad out of double 2x12 and have 2 foot pieces for the rear. That has worked great. By 2- 2x12 10 ft long and cut 46 inches from each one screw them together and that leaves your rear pieces.
mcentirejerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Larry,
Nice work Partner. Those will be of service for a long, long time. Like mine, they are limited in height but, in many, many cases, they're enough, along with a bit of fine tuning from the jacks.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird_in_SC View Post
I did something similar buying rubber patio/landscape from a discount store. Work great and packed well
I looked at these as well and was curious as to whether they would hold up under the weight of a large class A.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubberific-...-16-in/3715056
Old 09-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #55

Here's a variable height approach for ramps that I plan to build next week:
Old 09-08-2018, 12:20 AM   #56

Quote:
I am looking for ideas for homemade leveling jack pads and wheel ramps. On my last trip I ran into problems with my jacks sinking into loose gravel and also problems with not so level site pads. I am a DIY sort of guy and I would rather make it myself than buy it if possible.

I have a couple of ideas for jack pads made from 2x4s sandwiched between 3/4 plywood, but I would also like to have them double as pads for under the wheels. Pictures would be great.

TIA

Just use 2x8’s .
carlgorski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, leveling