Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2021, 04:44 PM   #1

DIY RV Port

Can anybody give me some help with a DIY port? 16ftw x 44ft. l 13ft.h I can get the angled fittings thru the internet and local shops for metal roofing and 1 5/8 Gal. poles. Rough cost $3750. have you built something like this? Any ideas?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 04:57 PM   #2

Never built anything of that sort with galvanized poles. Pressure treated wood with steel siding and roof, yes.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #3

With the size, I think you want to go with something stronger than galvanized poles. I'd be looking at overbuilt rather than under - Maybe even telephone poles if you went wood, or go with a steel building supplier and get the whole kit with beams.

The weather doesn't know what it is hitting, but it will huff and puff and blow your sticks in, if they aren't sturdy enough.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #4

I paid $6200 for a steel carport 18x46 13ft walls, gable ends and 3ft down the sides. I drank beer and listened to some pretty good Mexican music while they put it up.

I went down the DIY rabbit hole 1st, wooden pole barn and versa tube. Cost was near what I paid installed just for the mtl
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:11 PM   #5

Following
jcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That's not a bad price for a bldg that size. But, it better be anchored really good if you get much wind. I built a 35wx50Lx14H using 20 foot utility poles from the Farm Supply Store. Used 2x10's around top of poles 10 feet apart. Wrapped poles with 2x6's 3 feet apart on sides and screwed metal sheets to enclose bldg. Just a thought for you. Of course now is not the time to be trying to buy lumber.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:54 PM   #7

Wind, snow load, etc. how well it needs to be built all depends on where you live.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would not cheap out on the main support poles, not sure if 1-5/8" are heavy enough.

Wind load can be a bad thing. About ~1 mile from me a farmer put up a covered pole barn using wooden posts and metal trusses with metal on the roof. After a big storm ~20 months ago the whole thing was laying on the ground, the roof system stayed pretty much in tact but the supports failed. This was a bad storm, we had +30 trees down or sheared off.

You might check your local utility company, I noticed that they were changing out a bunch of poles coming into my subdivison and stopped and asked. They have a crew that goes around and pulls the old poles and they will drop off as many as I want. I'm considering making a covered parking area.
Also, right now all material costs have sky rocketed. Lumber prices up 250% in the last year, metal prices ~+25% in the last 6 months, electrical and plumbing up also.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:02 AM   #9

Non Permanent RV port

Quote:
Originally Posted by old golfer guy View Post
Can anybody give me some help with a DIY port? 16ftw x 44ft. l 13ft.h I can get the angled fittings thru the internet and local shops for metal roofing and 1 5/8 Gal. poles. Rough cost $3750. have you built something like this? Any ideas?
Thanks
About 10 years ago, I wanted shade cover for out travel trailer so I built framework out of 1.5 square tubing and added shade cloth from Home Depot. Due to city rules it could not be a permanent structure. Originally it was 12'w x 30' long x 12' high (peak) at a rough cost of about $850. It is built in pieces, so the legs slip into a short welded upright on the base, etc. The only with the original build was that it had to be braced against the block wall to make the structure stable.
When we upgraded to a motorhome 4 years ago, I added raised the legs 18" and added another 12' in length as well as adding more shade cloth on the sides. The addition probably cost as much as the original due to higher material prices but having a shelter for under $1800 is not bad.
I wish is was wider to allow the slides to fully extend, but it has held up well even surviving heavy monsoon winds in Mesa, AZ. The original 10 year old shade cloth is now starting to rip a little bit especially on the roof area. It will have to be replaced soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelter1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	325825   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelter2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	325826  

AZ-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:19 AM   #10

I am not a lot of help because I am on the East Coast, but I had mine installed last year. 44' X 18' X 12'(wall,not encluding roof "A") One side enclosed, one side with single run. $5700.00 installed on my pad site. I used asphalt millings for my pad and I am very happy with it. Those millings pack down like fresh asphalt and the price was RIGHT!

You would not believe the temperature difference under this RV port. Days in July when it's 102* here, I can get on the roof of my coach and work comfortably. I was really shocked, I figured it would keep the direct sun off but no idea it would reduce the temp's like it does. Great investment so far.

Note: The guy that came and put this up had a crew of 4 with him. They did it in one day but knew what they were doing and knew every trick in the book and a few that were not, LOL. You are gonna need 2 or 3 helpers minimum I think to do this your self.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carport 1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	325837   Click image for larger version

Name:	carport 3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	709.9 KB
ID:	325838  

Name:	Carport 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	640.7 KB
ID:	325839  
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #11

Last year I was looking at stretching our savings a bit and replacing our back deck with a bigger covered porch. A tad over a year later I'd need a second mortgage to do that.

Locally they are asking over $4000 for the most basic slanted flat roof car port. I don't want to know what an RV port is running.

I'll echo the sentiment on the guys putting these things up. They could legitimately hold another job and assemble a carport a day just on their lunch hour. Once everything is laid out and ready for them it's like a blitzkrieg and they're done. I suspect they get paid by the job and not the hour.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy