Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #15

Funny thing: as I was typing that I had (subconsciously I guess) typed "bejing" and the auto correct changed it "being" made overseas.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 05:07 AM   #16

Yes and no, I have had 5 rv in the last 7 years. I was looking for what I thought was the best built using the best suppliers, I feel there are two issues. The first being the suppliers and then the assemblers of the rv, having been through two Entegra's and others I have found what fit the bill for me. About a year ago I took delivery of a 2018 foretravel IH and without a doubt it has been the best in the attention to detail from the assembler and only failure was one of the roof a/c units was replaced. I went to foretravel and they had me back on the road in 3 hours.
I am a fan
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:48 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
[/B]
Or a a piece of genuine paper covered particleboard!
The construction of fleetwood motor homes, entry level or high end is 99.75% plywood not partical board. Granted the plywood is vinyl covered, but very little partical board is used these days,not under formica, not in cabinets, mostly just the 1 inch thick end walls on the dinette seat sets and some have a couple of wall cabinet ends.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
"You can pay me now or pay me later".

We are in a conflicted society. We all want to work for the highest pay and buy for the cheapest price. For manufacturers to provide the lowest prices they must produce massive numbers at the quickest pace, buy their materials as low as possible. And they want to make massive amounts of money to satisfy share holders or owners.

Too many things are against building a quality product including a work force that has been trained that you get a blue ribbon for showing up.

We are fortunate we get the quality we are getting for the most part.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I don't think Newell or Foretravel have quality control issues. But then, I don't own one so I can't say for sure.

After paying what they have to to buy a Newell, or a Foretravel, anyone having serious problems with them would probably be too embarrassed to post!

Don't mind me, I'm just jealous that I can't afford one! . . Well, probably not . . .

To the OP's original question though, I think you could safely say that ALL manufactures or Class A Motor Coaches have QC problems to some extent, but that is not saying that EVERY INDIVIDUAL coach will have problems. A lot may depend on the particular crew that built a specific coach. Every manufacturer has bad days.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #20

Here's my story - My buddy drove his dad's brand new ( only delivery mileage on it) Dutch Star 43/45' Tag to Colorado in 2016. . Left Houston - broke down in Dallas for two days with a pinched wiring harness. Left and made it Amarillo before blowing and injector line ( covering his Jeep in diesel ) - had to leave the coach in Amarillo for 3 or 4 days for repairs - so he rented a van drove his family to Co. and then went back by himself to get the Coach when it was fixed ( 6 hrs one way) - So yes they all have issues - even $300K + ones
TXsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #21

The answer to your original question is "yes" there are differences between the manufacturers when it comes to quality control. We looked at just about every brand of MH prior to making our decision, and with some the quality issues are obvious. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. When we bought ours we paid a few thousand more than what we were considering for other brands with a comparable model and floorplan. That was money well spent as we have had very few issues with ours, none of which required our MH to be left at the shop for repairs.

While doing our research and going back/forth looking at different brands we felt the Newmar was built better, with a better fit and finish. That is not to say that the other brands were not a good MH, but we felt when spending that kind of money, spending a few thousand more for quality was a no brainer, considering what you were getting for the money.

The issue is also two fold, one is the manufacturer and the other is the dealer you choose to buy from. Granted the manufacturer should find all these flaws prior to delivery but that doesn't always happen. Our dealer's PDI was very comprehensive and everything was working as it should upon delivery, and was demonstrated to us that it was working as it should. They even made sure all the AV electronic equipment was adjusted correctly.

Depending on where you buy, these things have been driven as many as 2500 miles prior to getting on the dealers lot. Many of the things you experienced were most likely experienced during the original transit and should have been repaired during the PDI, not after the delivery. Some dealers don't do any repairs until the unit is sold as they make more money as it is now considered "warranty" work. We were actually told that by one dealership's GM when I questioned some of the obvious things that needed repair.

Also many things can be an easy fix and I would much rather repair minor things myself, rather than take it to a shop. Being somewhat handy and mechanical in nature can make the RV'ing lifestyle much more enjoyable.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Even the Prevost conversions, Newell's & Foretravels have had a few glitches over the years....
The only one I can speak on is the Foretravel brand..
There were a few years that they had issues with delamminations on slide walls and when they went to the "smooth" (no visible seam) bus type front and rear cap had separation problems,
Also there was a problem with lower bulk head bolts breaking and an annual inspection is still a requirement. but all were corrected by the factory for no charge during the first 8 or 10 years (I forget).
As for chassis/suspension/drive train issues... there are very very few, & if ANY are found ..They are corrected immediately by the manufacturers, No need for the customer to have to purchase after market CHF's or additional sway bars.torque arms etc.
The interior stuff, haven't had any issues with manufacture or installations. Our coach is 16 years young, so do have some on going updates.
ie: LED lights , Residential fridge and so on...The upholstery is still looking as good as it did the day we brought the coach home.
Wow...Sweet Looking Rig...Really Nice...ENJOY FRIENDS

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
A MH is a complex vehicle. It's not like a car. It's more like a house. There are so many systems and subsystems that not having any problems would be unusual. Some manufacturers do have more issues than others.
You hit the nail on the head...absolutely correct!!! You know, we all buy what we buy, doing the best we can, and then, HOPE FOR THE BEST, however, KEEP YOUR SCREWDRIVER AND HAMMER CLOSE BY!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #24

Had opportunity to look at Winni’s when we were shopping and I ran away as fast as I could. They were falling apart on the dealers lots. Very happy with our choice.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
Doctor says I gotta walk more so...
Went and looked at the Intent(?)today (the shortest version) Not too bad .....for a very cheap entry level/weekender coach.... For what I saw should have been priced around $50k not nearly double that..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleet. Wood
Old 01-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Op I will not tell you what to buy or what is best built. There are two types of owners on the forums, owners who love their rigs and those who complain about their rigs. As you read the forums, the complainers stick out like sore thumbs and the same QC problems repeat over and over, regardless of brand. If you follow the forums diligently, you will begin to notice that there are also large numbers of owners who have bought older high end coaches with many happy miles on them. It is my firm belief that the really great coaches were built in the mid 2000s and will never be built as good again. Type in the Google search space " older high end coaches " and you will find the answer to what coaches have proven QC records. We always advise prospective buyers to make sure that they get the maintenance record,....well new coaches have no records. I am of course partial to a certain brand but only to those production years that have a proven QC record. See my signature for further info...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #28

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Wow...Sweet Looking Rig...Really Nice...ENJOY FRIENDS
Thnx... BUT!
If you want to see a REALLY Gorgeous coach......... look no further than Ahall's..(post #16)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, quality