Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #15

If a deer did hear the whistle does it know what it means, PROBABLY NOT!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
With no prior experience or knowledge, I'm wondering if Deer Whistles actually work .....

They work about as well as those signs on the side of the road that tell them where to cross.

"Deer crossing next 2 miles"

I guess the deer around here don't read too well.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #17

My father in law hit his first deer in over 50 years of driving after installing those on his car .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Since deer can not whistle them selves, when they hear whistles they run out and break into humming the tune. You got it, Georgia brown!! Some of them get so excited that they run in front of the car.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok-Ok Gents, messages well received.

I will forego the idea as I too suspect they don't really do any good. What about black cats or chickens crossing the roads. Any further advice?
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Ok-Ok Gents, messages well received.

I will forego the idea as I too suspect they don't really do any good. What about black cats or chickens crossing the roads. Any further advice?
Black cats are a definite no-no. Best to stop as that can make you so nervous that you can't drive straight
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #21

Do Deer Whistles Work

Quote:
What about black cats or chickens crossing the roads. Any further advice?

They don't do anywhere near as much damage as Bambi does. While I do love animals my first reaction when I see something running towards the road is to quickly glance in the rearview mirror. If there's somebody behind me I'm going to think twice about stomping on the brakes.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
State Farm used to give deer whistles away. So I like to use them.

That and my rabbit's foot keep the deer away
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #23

My job was to supply parts to body shops for collision repairs. Regularly, deer whistles were on the parts lists.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #24

Our '97 Geo Tracker's "beep beep" horn seemed to work on deer, goats, and sheep so well that I went to a junkyard and found three horns off three foreign vehicles. Installed one on our coach and one on our towed.
Haven't had a deer close but seems to scare the blazes out of the goats and sheep. Sound the Beep horn and see nothing but goat butts going away!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #25

Cows, yup cows, are dumber then deer.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #26

Twinboat I must respectfully disagree. A cow will walk away from your vehicle and stay away! A deer will walk away from your vehicle and then jump right in front of it!

And that could be an "udder" catastrophe!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
A secretary swore by them and while driving in town, saw a deer running toward the road and came to a full stop. The deer continued and ran into the rear door on the drivers side, caving it in badly.
EV2
When you come to a full stop... most deer whistles stop whistling.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #28

Long ago (like 30 years) I read a study about deer whistles - essentially compilation of deer/car interactions and whether cars had deer whistles - result of study what zero correlation between deer whistles and cars hitting them.

Being this was based around accidents, I suspect there were a lot of deer strikes, even on cars with whistles. So while not conclusive, the study certainly showed whistles were no guarantee.

Recently I learned that deer, being prey animals, have a "random direction" generator in their brain - so when startled, they jump/dodge pretty randomly to avoid predators. The more random, the more likely to survive. So the current crop likely has the most random brains ever.

This alone is enough to explain why noisemakers are useless - since their flight instinct is random, triggering it means you're just setting up a bad situation.

I grew up in deer country - ONLY deer I've ever hit (3 or 4 times now) have ALL run into the side of the car - one while I was stopped.

There's likely no way we can protect vehicles from the way deer bolt randomly...
akaJimbob is offline   Reply With Quote