Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do Deer Whistles Work

With no prior experience or knowledge, I'm wondering if Deer Whistles actually work as I've thought of installing some on the front of our new coach. I've never experienced hitting a deer or even a close call that I can remember but certainly would hate to do so in our new coach. Recent travels on some back roads in East Texas got me thinking (whistles).

Anyone here got them on their coach and if so, seen them work?
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not have them on my coach, mostly because I just bought it. I did hit a deer with my Beaver Monterey. It did a lot of damage to the front end fiberglass and light assemblies. I was in insurance for 35 years and I read conflicting articles about them. What I figure it boils down to is it can help in some cases. You normally must be going at least 45 mph to get the whistles to be loud enough and high enough pitch to do anything. Deer are very unpredictable, so it is hard to measure if they are turned away by the sound. Now that you brought it up, I believe I will go out and buy some. It cant hurt.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've always been of the persuasion that if a deer is standing on the side of the road, maybe he will stay there. If I blow a whistle I'm almost sure he will run, which way, who knows

PS, I live in deer country, almost hit one last week. Saw one in the road and started slowing down. That one took off across the road and another one came from the side and followed the first. That second one was really close. I don't have whistles

I think they run to the lighted area of the road.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #4

Deer are the stupidest animals God ever put on earth! Wyoming has about 50 deer per square foot. You'll see 15 of them on the side of the road eating and just having a good old time. You're not a pilgrim so you slow it down to 5 mph, just kind of sneaking along and thinking "stay there stupid"! A few will lift their heads and give you those big deer eyes and so far so good. They see you, you see them and you've developed a symbiotic relationship!

Just as you're thinking all is well one will start meandering down the side of the road, maybe with a cane and top-hat singing a few bars of Sweet Georgia Brown, a favorite song of Mule Deer by the way. But just strolling along having a good ol time and then walks right out in front of you. Deer think that's pretty funny, so some of his buddies decide to join in the fun. Now you have deer all over the place on the left of you, on the right of you and walking in front of you! And every one of them has that stupid look on its face like "I'm going to the zoo today"!

The above describes non hunting season of course because the day hunting season starts you see nothin! Now look, if they know when hunting season starts and stops... Why do they not know to stay the heck away from a motor vehicle?

That brings us to a deer whistle. If you are in the shower and your backside is facing north-north-east, so the moon is in the second house and Jupiter is aligned with Mars? You're then entering into the state of Aquarius. Does the whistle work at that point? NO of course not! But who cares at this point Grasshopper?

I've not personally seen it in action but have heard that a loud air horn like those found on 18 wheelers and some motorhomes are quite effective in dispersing the critters. You may still have to be in the shower, not 100% sure on that one?

Did I tell you deer are the stupidest animals God ever put on earth?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Wyofree, thank you for that amusing post, it not only put a smile on my face I almost blow my evening coffee out my nose
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

I've tried a Wolf Whistle a few times but the only result i get is a swift slap up side the head from my DW.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post

I think opossums would give them good competition in the stupid department.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #8

I serviced a small fleet of sedans the owner put deer whistles on,,,,one day a tow truck towed in one of them,,,driver smashed into a deer. You be the judge.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #9

NO!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #10

Regarding Wizard's post:

All I know about it is that around here there is usually a second one or more. If one crosses the road in front of you, don't think you're home free. One will frequently be following, or there will be a parade of deer.
EdInArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
They work well for the merchant that sells them
Old 01-25-2017, 07:26 PM   #12

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Deer are the stupidest animals God ever put on earth!
Snip... funny stuff...snip

Apparently you have never driven near Kangaroo.... Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda, won't you go Waltzing Matilda with me...
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
I serviced a small fleet of sedans the owner put deer whistles on,,,,one day a tow truck towed in one of them,,,driver smashed into a deer. You be the judge.

CLIFFORD
Problem with that logic is,
I knew a guy who bought a new Toyota 4x4 every 2 years, the first thing he would do is put deer whistles on his new truck right away, one year he didn't do it the same day he bought the truck and the very next day he hit a deer, so in his eyes they worked.

Me personally I don't think they work, I just use a bumper big enough to wack those Forest Rats without damage to my truck.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #14
EV2

Had one of our semi drivers with hundreds of thousands of miles that had never hit a deer. Within a week of his purchase of a new tractor with deer whistles added, he hit a deer doing thousands in damage.
A secretary swore by them and while driving in town, saw a deer running toward the road and came to a full stop. The deer continued and ran into the rear door on the drivers side, caving it in badly. Anecdotal evidence but I believe they attract the flea bitten creatures.
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote