Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #15

Just removed the ADCO with TyVek cover off our motorhome that had been on it since 10/0/07, and our motorhome looked as new as the day we bought it. Once this Winter, there was a 2 foot deep snow pack on top of it also....if you don't cover up here, the sun will make your paint/graphics look like TOAST!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
NLOVNIT,

Curious, how did your MH look once you removed the cover?

Having TT's and 5th wheels with gel-coat never bothered me, I could wax the scuff marks out. The full-bodied paint bothers me on the rounded corners and edges. Just curious about your experience????

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
For all those inquiring minds, the MH looked nearly as clean as the day it was covered. There was a little dirt film that was more pronounced at the bottom, where the cover wrapped around & graduated to nearly no film at the top. I'm assuming some dirt blew around (it's parked on a gravel pad) in the air during the season & worked it's way under the cover.

As for any rubbing, there were really only 3 spots that were obvious. One was along the roof. There was a much brighter area, more like a light stripe, that ran along the length from the front to the back of the coach on the street side - corresponded to the north faced side of the MH. It did not wear away the roof, but seemed to wear off the "greyed" color there that the TPO roof has become overall. The other 2 spots were both at the rear bumper at each corner. The paint there looks to be about a shade lighter at spots that seem to be about an 1-2 inches long by about 1/8" or less wide. Both those spots corresponds to wear areas on the cover itself.

We had several tear spots in the cover that were caused by poke throughs from the slide topper awning rollers. We did our best to pad those by putting rubber balls on the ends, but that didn't always work. It still seemed to be a stress point that weakened & eventually caused the material to fail. DH had taken off the radio/CB antenna & put a ball on that, too, & it did not tear through there.

One of our main issues with this cover was that I think I got the wrong size. Our MH is 37'3". The cover sizes I was deciding between was 33'3"-37' or 37'1"-40'. I was afraid the first would not be long enough so I went with the other. That made this cover have too much slack at the ends &, with the winds we had this past season, probably contributed to the rubbing spots. We fitted the cover snug at the front so all the extra was gathered at the rear. However, there was just too much extra material back there to get it tied/cinched properly. Even with extra ties & some fabric clamps back there, 3 of the grommets pulled out. I believe the looseness of the fabric back there resulted in billowing & the rubbing of the bumper corners.

It will take a lot of patching to make this cover usable for another year. Despite the issues, I'm glad we did cover it & it was a learning experience. I think, had I gone for the smaller size cover, it would have fit better & might have eliminated the rub spots.. All this being said, we're currently pricing metal ports for construction later this summer.

As soon as I get my photos approved in the photo section, I'll post them to this topic so you all can see them.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,
Thanks for the detailed report. What brand cover did you use? I could never get more than 1 to 2 years from the ADCO cover with the Tyvek roof.

Let me throw this out. I have use Blue Coral or Meguire's Wash and Was with 3m Marine Wax. My arm already hurts thinking about waxing the MH. What are the thoughts about Protect All Wash and Was or 303 Aerospace Protectant. Is their another product that provides UV protection?

Thanks for everyones input!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have used a product called Envy for years on the coach and it has performed very well. It has UV protection and is EASY to use. People tell me it does not look anywhere near it age and I have had to prove it with registration card a few times. Send me a private message if you want more info or photos.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
UPDATE:

My rip photos are in my album here. Even a patch we did (earlier in season) was starting to come loose, though it doesn't look like it in the photo.

It was an ADCO AquaShed Class A cover. We've used Meguiars wax on the coach & it makes it shine like brand new. We get lots of compliments on it. It DOES take a lot of work to wax, but we use an orbital buffer which takes a bit less elbow grease.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #21

We are on our 3'rd year with the ADCO with TyVek cover, with only a couple of tears (no biggie as this is rip-stop fabric, so who cares).

No rubbing issues at all. I believe the key is to tighten it down tight.....both front ties, both rear ties and all the underneath ties. This leaves no room for flapping in the wind.

The alternative is to leave our unit out in the high altitude Sun, so we cover, and don't regret it at all. I love pulling off the cover and the motorhome looks brand new!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
My vote is for no cover. Keep the coach clean and waxed. Keep the roof clean. My coach looks better than when it was made three years ago. It is not covered and when not in use sits out in the South Florida sun. I just make sure it is clean and waxed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your input. The new MH will be delivered in a few more weeks. The plan is to wash and wax and see what happens. Later this summer, if the elements start to work on the exterior I may move back to a cover.

My experience with ADCO products has not been very good. The first six years we owned the 28' and 32' TT we went through 7 covers. They kept ripping along the seam between the tyvek and grey siding. When we got the 36' 5r, I tried the ADCO cover one more time, and after just a few months, it ripped as well. I researched and found a cover called "Classic" cover. It looks like the same tyvek roof and grey siding, but has a vent sewn in the entire lenght between the roof and side. It hasn't ripped yet and in fact am selling it to a friend.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #24

My main concern for covering my RV is the roof, it's really hard to wax a rubber or epdm roof! My RV came from Florida, and the roof and skylights have been deteriorated by the sun. I have resealed it, but this only prolongs its life for a short while. I knew when I bought it that it would need to be replaced, but got a really good deal on it because of this. Of course a building or garage is preferable, but not always practical.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:15 AM   #25

I have used both covered and un-covered storage on my motor home. I recommend the cover, the UV damage can be great. Graphics will deteriorate quickly in the hot sun. I think one has to decide according to how often one will use the motor home. Long storage interims, I would definitely cover for lasting paint and graphics life.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote