Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can operate 2 AC's on 30 amp service, sort of. My 2002 Fleetwood Flair did. It had a EMS system that would only allow one AC compressor to energize at a time, both fans would be on, but the compressor would switch back and forth. It worked well, both AC's blew cold air at the same time. The AC controller had a "shed" light that would come on showing witch AC was on or off.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 06:02 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
2 or 3 for Texas ..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #31

Wish we had a 2nd 15k ac in our 29.3 Thor Ace. Can't keep it cool in this hot weather. To make matters worse, the vents in the br don't blow any air. Had it looked at by dealer, but no help. Would our 30 amp unit handle another ac?
Jvsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:37 PM   #32

Totally. 1 will not do it in a coach that size
Old 08-09-2015, 05:35 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
In a parking lot in Texas it's about 150 degrees at high noon ... not enough room for how many AC you need on the roof to get it down to 90 inside... I got two 15,000 ac units on my 32 footer and it would run all day and maybe be 85 at noon..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:37 AM   #34
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
I live in Texas and it is very hot here. We have not purchased the unit yet and I am wondering if I need to search for a unit that has 2 ACs.

Thanks in advance for your input,

seaturtle

Yes !

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #35

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead383 View Post
Not being too familiar with the make and model of the RV,I guess I have a dumb question...

If a second A/C is installed, is the motor home wire for both A/C's to run at the same time? In addition, can the generator support running both A/C's?

I see the 30T comes with a 30A shore power cord and only a 4KW Generator. If you can't run both A/C's at the same time... how you gonna get cooled down during those Texas summers?

I guess this is a question for the dealership.
First, forget the Dealerships. These forums are where all the answers are.
Since 4KW isn't enough to run two ac's going down the road, you can at least have the option of running one or the other and also have a backup, just in case of a failure. However, you can run both in most cases, when on shore power, by installing what's known, as a dual power adapter. It's nothing more than a plug and outlet that splits the feed to the rear ac, so that you can plug it in to a different campground pedestal circuit and thereby not robbing anything from your regular 30amp feed. Since you don't have a second ac now, have the feed for the additional one installed in your basement compartment with a 15 - 20amp plug on the end. In addition, you should probably have an onboard outlet installed, as mentioned, so that you can run it with your genset as well. Naturally, you'll have to shut off the breaker to the front ac when doing this, so as not to overload the generator.
Whether confusing with the way it sounds or not, it's pretty simple and maybe a job for Camping world, if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvsnyder View Post
Wish we had a 2nd 15k ac in our 29.3 Thor Ace. Can't keep it cool in this hot weather. To make matters worse, the vents in the br don't blow any air. Had it looked at by dealer, but no help. Would our 30 amp unit handle another ac?
There is someone in the Thor forum who put a second A/C on a ACE in place of the bedroom vent. They had to run a separate 20 amp circuit with separate extension cord to pedestal to run it.

I think it might be possible to run both off 30amp and or 4kw generator but only if you had the Magnum 3kw hybrid inverter that can boost during compressor startup. Not sure if anyone has tried it though.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #37

It has been my understanding that if you get a Vista with two AC's it's comes with 50 amp service. See below. If you camp where there is only 30 amp service you may not be able to use both.

From Winnebago's web site:

All-Weather Upgrade Package (30T) 5,500-watt Cummins Onan® Marquis Gold™ gas generator, 2nd high efficiency A/C with heat pumps, 50-amp. power cord, automatic changeover switch, shoreline/generator

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Pretty disappointing Winnebago doesn't offer a 2nd AC option on the Vista Line only Vista LX. Looking at the new Vista 31be and the only thing I don't like is the single AC , meanwhile the 30T it's an option for same size coach.
If you like the 31BE then you owe it to yourself to take a look at the Newmar Baystar and Baystar Sport models 3004. A bit more money, more storage, and looks like better fit and finish. We are looking at the Baystar Sport model.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me give an answer which I would rather not post.

You may have head about something called "Climate Change" or "Global Warming"

I was going to comment on the "What is causing it" debate but frankly that is beyond my training and I'm better off staying out of it.

But if you believe in global warming, on a 30 foot RV you are going to need 2 AC's.. If not not. clearly you will in a couple years.

Frankly I think you do now.. But I'm a Michigan boy stuck in Soutern GA just 50 miles from FL.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
I live in Texas and it is very hot here. We have not purchased the unit yet and I am wondering if I need to search for a unit that has 2 ACs.

Thanks in advance for your input,
seaturtle
Without a doubt go with 2 airs, also chose the lightest outside colors available, it makes a difference.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes! We have a 15 Itasca 30T and wish we had a second AC and we are in Michigan.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How I advise it: If you believe Climate Change and Global Warming are real, then you believe it's going to get hotter and hotter.. Two 15K A/Cs may not be enough on a truly large rig (I have a 13.5 and a 15KBTU unit on this 38', 3 slide house in S.E. GA and it's kind of iffy just now)

It is however what I'd recommend for now. (Add 3rd later if needed).

If you think that this climate change stuff is bunk.. You are on your own.

Tags
winnebago