Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Do I need 2 A/C units in a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T?

I live in Texas and it is very hot here. We have not purchased the unit yet and I am wondering if I need to search for a unit that has 2 ACs.

Thanks in advance for your input,
seaturtle
seaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, and 15K units at that.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #3

Yes. Better get the 2nd ac. Worth it.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
I live in Texas and it is very hot here. We have not purchased the unit yet and I am wondering if I need to search for a unit that has 2 ACs.

seaturtle
I have a 15 vista 36y and have 2 units (both 15k) and it's tough in this Houston heat and humidity. Used it last weekend and it was 101 inside when we were leaving. I drove it 2 hours to the campsite with the generator on and both units on plus the up front air going full blast and only got it to 81 when we arrived. I realize our unit is a bit longer but having a second unit for the extra 6-7 feet we have hardly does it and that's 2x the air you will have. I would give it some thought. It got down to 74-5 as the sun went down and was fine the next day and the rest of the trip. Once we got it cold we could keep it that way but we were in a shady spot and I had the exterior windshield sun screen on. The windshield was facing west. We also have dual pane windows which your 16 may as well. It is easier to keep it cool than get it cool. It may hit 106 this weekend.... I'm staying home LOL
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 34 gasser with two ACs and since I'm a light sleeper, it was great to have the AC running and/or heat pump running in the main cabin so that I could sleep in the bedroom without the added noise.

Also, window awnings are great to keep the heat out in addition to dual pane windows. I had a SuperC that didn't have dual pane windows and it struggled with two ACs running in 95 degree weather.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You only need the second AC unit when you need it. Better have it. We just spent 2 days in Mohave Valley, AZ. If we could of had a 3rd AC unit, we'd have loved it.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the others. Get (2)!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
It is easier to keep it cool than get it cool. It may hit 106 this weekend.... I'm staying home LOL
If you are willing, (and allowed by the campground/RVPark), to wet down your RV with a hose it will cool down MUCH faster. You only need to completely cool the exterior surfaces facing the sun.

Then, your A/C will be able to more easily keep it cool.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Prior owner installed the second AC in my rig. Wish I could thank them. Had both running to keep the coach comfortable. When only one is needed I'll run the bedroom AC to keep the noise back there and at night run the front. Same as tomakat. If you have the room in your budget heat pumps are the way to go.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #10

Think about resale value as well
Old 08-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
I have a 15 vista 36y and have 2 units (both 15k) and it's tough in this Houston heat and humidity. Used it last weekend and it was 101 inside when we were leaving. I drove it 2 hours to the campsite with the generator on and both units on plus the up front air going full blast and only got it to 81 when we arrived. I realize our unit is a bit longer but having a second unit for the extra 6-7 feet we have hardly does it and that's 2x the air you will have. I would give it some thought. It got down to 74-5 as the sun went down and was fine the next day and the rest of the trip. Once we got it cold we could keep it that way but we were in a shady spot and I had the exterior windshield sun screen on. The windshield was facing west. We also have dual pane windows which your 16 may as well. It is easier to keep it cool than get it cool. It may hit 106 this weekend.... I'm staying home LOL
heres a little hot air trick...

when you first start to try and cool... open all the cabinet and closets and the roof vents... run both roof acs, and open the chill grille vents... when you start the engine , max cold and outside air on the dial... before you take off. close the cabinets and close the roof vents to about 1"... drive for about 5 or 10 minutes then switch to max ac recurulate and close all the vent but the bath
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post

seaturtle

In a word, yes you do. Our best friends have a Vista 27N with one air. That is their one disappointment in the coach. In 90 degree weather it can't keep up.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #13

Yes and yes!!! 15K units a must!! Don't let the salesman talk you into smaller.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like everyone has already said. YES just walk outside, feel the heat and understand it's will get hotter inside your RV than it is outside. 1 unit WILL NOT cool it down like you want. If you are in east Texas, the humidity will also effect how well you AC will cool.

We just left Port Aransas on Mustang Island, and with 2 ACs it still got warm in our RV with the high humidity.

Tags
winnebago