Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksjayhawker View Post
We are 14 months out from jumping into full-timing. Our plan is to visit our wonderful National Parks over the next 8-10 years. From our experience visiting RV dealerships and shows, our mode of transportation will be best suited in a Class A....my dilemma is my Goldwing. I see my options as being: 1) Class A gas toy-hauler and lose some living space; 2) Class A diesel with a hydra-lift; or 3) Sell my beloved girl and travel strictly with our Jeep.

For my fellow bikers who full-time, how did you address this dilemma?

P.s. I like the toy-hauler option but I am not keen on losing that much living space.
Ksjayhawker,
Well, we've done much of what you're inquiring about. When I retired, the first setup was a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the V-10 and F-53 chassis and, we towed a brand new 7' x 16' enclosed trailer for our Goldwing. We had a ball cruising much of the western U.S. The bike remained clean and safe when we weren't using it. But, as you already know, it severely limits your ability to run around and or, go for groceries or a medical appointment etc. if the weather has gone south.

So, a change was needed since we really wanted our Jeep along for the ride too. Well, we ended up with an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. I found an outstanding deal on a Hydralift and, I did the install. A fun but, fairly challenging project, to be sure. We absolutely loved that lift and, being able to have our Jeep along with us too. We got more nice comments on that setup than you could shake a stick at. It worked outstanding for well over 8,000 miles, all over the Western U.S.

Contrary to all the "know it alls" (who've never actually done this sort of thing), the coach handled flawlessly. No wandering, no porpoising, no squatting, NOTHING! The coach, bike and Jeep just cruised straight and perfect down the road.

But, due to certain circumstances, we had a change of plans. We sold the Hydralift, and the Jeep, an purchased a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. We then go a great deal on a Rampage lift/carrier and I did the install on that too. Way easier but, I made it so that the Rampage is out of that truck, in a matter of about 3 minutes when we return home so that the truck can be used as a truck again, almost instantly.

But, the use of the Rampage is phenomenally easy. Roll the bike up to it, latch it down with only two straps and, push a button. The bike cruises up the lift and onto the bed, all by itself. I then add a couple more straps in strategic places and, it's good to go for many, many miles. The truck handles the bike with ease. It lowers the truck by right at 2.5 inches, big deal. The payload of the truck is 1500 lbs. The bike and the lift are very close to 1300 lbs.

We still like having our Jeep with us for our adventuring spirit and, we're presently conspiring to come up with plan "C". We'll see how that goes. But, I feel your desires, without a doubt. We who love our machines and to able to use any and all of them in our later years, is the greatest. But, without being related to Trump, or, Steve Jobs, or, Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, the budget can only withstand so much stretching.

As has been suggested, there's a few ways to handle your dilemma. Each one has bennies and pitfalls. Your choice. Good luck and enjoy whatever you come up with.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Another option to keep riding the roads is to purchase a trike. That's my plan once I get to the point where I don't feel safe or cannot handle the weight of my Victory.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
FT will prohibit that for me. Don't want a trailer either. I am embracing downsizing after a life of excess. At one point I had 3 motorcycles, a waverunner, a boat, 2 cars, a pickup truck and 2 houses.
I want simple.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We are 14 months out from jumping into full-timing. Our plan is to visit our wonderful National Parks over the next 8-10 years. From our experience visiting RV dealerships and shows, our mode of transportation will be best suited in a Class A....my dilemma is my Goldwing. I see my options as being: 1) Class A gas toy-hauler and lose some living space; 2) Class A diesel with a hydra-lift; or 3) Sell my beloved girl and travel strictly with our Jeep.

P.s. I like the toy-hauler option but I am not keen on losing that much living space.
We carry two Gold Wings (1 triked) and a SUV in a 20' stacker.

IMO there is no perfect solution to the issue. There is a drawback to each of the possible solutions.

Trailers have to be parked and stored after you unhook at the campground.

4 down cannot be backed up for any distance.

Selling the Gold Wing should not be an option.

Pick the option with the least negative impact on your lifestyle.

As a note the hydro lift will add about 2000 lbs to the rear axle when loaded. Will that overload the GAWR of the axle?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
While we are not full time, I do take a bike with me ( either the HD or a Suzuki) using my pickup and a Rampage lift. Here's a couple pics-- first one with the gasser, 2nd with the DP.

I do the same with my Harley Trike in my GMC 1/2 ton pickup.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #19

Although I'm not a full timer, I'm thinking of modifying the dolly we already have into a tandem tow, RV Towing Accessories | RV Trailers, Tow Behind Trailers, Motorcycle Trailers and Tow Dollies for sale. If you only have one bike that could be a solution for you. There have been some threads here about them.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #20

Quote:

Being a Wing owner also, have you thought about trading in your Jeep for a pickup and installing a drive-on or motorized pull-on type of a pickup bed mounting motorcycle accessory?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
We purchased a coach earlier this year that had a Hydra lift trike lift on it. We do not have a trike but wanted to haul two motorcycles and pull the Jeep JKU. Knew the lift and coach could handle the weight of two lighter motorcycles if it was able to haul a trike. We had Hydra lift modify the lift to accommodate the two bikes and couldn't be happier with the set up. Previously we pulled a trailer with 4 motorcycles in it. Found out we needed the jeep more than we thought, so sold the trailer. Plus the trailer was a bit of an issue at some campgrounds. They had to move it for us at several places having only the motorhome to move it did not work out at times.
Best of luck with your search.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #22

I have 42' with tag axle and put a rAmpage lift on back of hitch and pulled a VW. Then I put rampage in back of 4x4 gmc 1500 short box pickup and pulled both behind. Then I went to trike and modified rampage to haul trike.

This winter I put bergmann 650 on back of rig pull chev captiva.

I have a used rampage lift for sale if you want to go to pickup instead of car.

dupdyke gmail
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #23

The best solution for us was to load the bike into the back of our pickup. I considered the HydraLift, but decided on a ramp for the bed of the pickup. This allows me to move the bike without driving the motorhome, which is something we do from time to time.

I use a LoadAll ramp, which is completely manual with no motors or cables. The entire assembly telescopes in and out, and allows the tailgate to close when not in use. It places zero weight on the tailgate, which was important to me as the bike weighs over 900#. The ramp assembly can be completely removed from the bed by 2 people if you need the full capacity of the bed. I use a Condor wheel chock and 4 tie-down points for the bike. The ramp is 48" wide so there's plenty of width and stability when riding the bike up or down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LoadAll_1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	146031   Click image for larger version

Name:	LoadAll_2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	146032  

Old 12-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
We had a class A 31' gas on Ford f53 chassis and most time traveled with truck/bike. Now a 37' very new to us 37' gas f53, havent got to take truck/w bike yet on this MH.
Alawys wished we had the Harley on our trips. DW didn't resist when i got a new used toad truck and a rampage lift that went in the bed. Truck with bike tows like it's not even there.
Nice unit!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #25

Sell the Jeep? Re-think that one. There are so many more places to explore with the Jeep than the cycle - unless you take it on gravel roads or over boulders. Also, you wouldn't ride the cycle in inclement weather and when full-timing you will encounter bad weather year-round. What a dilemma you have!! Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:24 AM   #26

Thanks for everyone's sugggestions. We are headed to the Tampa RV show next month and I hope to get some answers there. The truck/rampage is a great solution but not one that fits into our lifestyle right now as I just purchased our Jeep two months ago (Hey, I got a great deal at 32% off the invoice

I am leaning towards the toy-hauler. I would be able to haul my baby (GW), kayaks, , smoker, and bikes all together. I would like to remove the side benches that fold into a bed because they are so uncomfortable. I would keep the drop down queen size bed for future guests and would move in a recliner and love seat accompanied by a kegerator to create my man cave. I like the idea of having two modes of transportation should the need arise (Jeep and GW). Just not sure about the gasser in the mountainous areas we plan to visit but from what I have studied, it will get us there if properly driven, even if we have to disconnect the toad over some of the terrain.

We can not wait to start living the lifestyle we have dreamed about for the last three years😀😀
Old 12-06-2016, 12:43 AM   #27

Tandem-Tow

Check out this product - tandem-tow.
It's a tow dolly for your car, with a platform on it's front that will support a full size motorcycle. I don't own one of these, but it looks like it would work for your situation.

RV Tow Dolly | Haul your cars, trucks, Golf Carts, ATVs & motorcycles.

Regards, Jerry
Old 12-06-2016, 01:06 AM   #28

I leave the large bike at home when I travel and take my Yamaha WR250R. At only 300 lbs it carries easily on the MH or the camper. I have ridden it for 35000 miles, mostly on the road, but also off-road where a larger bike or even a Jeep is unsuitable.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote