Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2016, 01:08 AM   #29

Thanks Jerry...This is exactly what I was going to go with......until I purchased my Jeep. I thought I was all set to go with my Active Drive II and two-speed transfer unit.....until I read the owners manual😫. I learned that Jeep strongly prohibits towing my Jeep on a dolly. I am not mechanically inclined enough to know the dangers of such wrongdoing but if the engineers say don't do it, that's good enough for me to look at other alternatives. That is what put me in this dilemma😪
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 04:21 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
and installing a drive-on or motorized pull-on type
Drive on type ramp Go to youtube and watch what can happen.

Although the rampage lift is costly it makes loading, simple and safe.

When not in use it easily comes off. I store mine on top of a harbor freight motorcycle repair lift and it becomes a work bench in the garage. The HF lift also brings the rampaged lift to the correct height to slide into the truck bed.
bruce91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm seven months away from retirement, got the Allegro just about ready to hit the road for about the same period that you are. I sold the last of my three bikes (two BMWs and a 02' Ultra Classic) this past summer when I had an epiphany while riding down Rt. 287 here in NJ. A Peterbilt dump truck passed me while I was doing 70 in the middle lane and got about five car lengths ahead when he blew a rear tire. These guys do this all the time, they far exceed the speed limit on tires that are not rated for 85 plus MPH, or they are retreads which are time bombs in general. After his tire blew I was showered in gator skins and had all I could do to get away from him and the debris. It was then that I realized that being this close to retirement and wanting to enjoy all that traveling the country with my DW in the Allegro had to offer, I no longer wanted to risk my life or hers, or winding up in a wheel chair for the rest of my years. I bought a soft top Wrangler and we tow that now when we take trips and still get to enjoy open air rides, with the peace of mind of steel and air bags all around us.
tedjr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #32

Hey fellow Jayhawker! I am a former motorcycle rider and will likely get another bike in the spring. Question, (I know you love the GW) have you considered something nearly half the weight that would be better slightly off road? We too enjoy the national parks and while there may not be off road riding available in parks there may be other opportunities around the parks. I'm not talking about rock crawling but more off the beaten path suitable for 2 up on something like an adventure bike. We found tons of stuff around Zion, Moab, and Yellowstone that was just incredible. For touring inside the parks bumper to bumper with everyone else any bike would do. The adventure bike seems like more of a multitasker. Just food for thought!
2014 KTM 1190 ADVENTURE R, price reduced !!
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Sell the Jeep? Re-think that one. There are so many more places to explore with the Jeep than the cycle - unless you take it on gravel roads or over boulders. Also, you wouldn't ride the cycle in inclement weather and when full-timing you will encounter bad weather year-round. What a dilemma you have!! Good luck!
I would echo this. Good advice IMHO. The inclement weather is what will get you, at least that has been my experience.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have to explain why you want the bike they will not understand.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!
And, the same goes for the Jeep instead of any other toad. The Jeep is pretty darn close to the top pick for a toad, for a zillion reasons. We've towed NINE of them in a 35 year period. We still like to be able to go adventurous when the desire evolves. But, we also really like our GW for fine, pleasurable QUIET motorcycle riding on nice country roads, just like you see in "American Pickers".

So, yep, the dilemma for having both of those is on-going for many of us.

1. An enclosed trailer is close to the best way for reasons of safety, security and cleanliness of your toys, especially at the end of a days towing and really especially if you're towing in UGLY weather. But, for those of us that are concerned about the added weight of an enclosed trailer, it's something to think about.

2. An open trailer, either steel or aluminum, is the next option. It will do the same exact thing, getting both your toys to your various destinations. But, the obvious, it's a lot dirtier in terms of keeping your toys from getting ugly when in transport. But, this option is normally quite a bit cheaper than an enclosed, unless you spring for an aluminum LIGHTER version.

Both of those options also cause you to remedy a very potential issue when traveling. WHERE to put that trailer, when you pull into your camp spot at either an RV park or camping area???? A very, very large percentage of RV parks and campgrounds DO NOT provide ample EXTRA space for trailers. Some do but, it's rare. If you went this route, it would behoove you to really plan things out and know pretty much EXACTLY where you'll end up for the day so you'll have the extra space available for your trailer or, you'll have to at least make sure you can get a pull-through long enough. Something to really consider.

3. A pickup with any number of ramps or lifts available for the task of being able to handle the weight of a GL 1800 (and rider if that's the style you intend on). It's a great way of bringing along a toad for inclement weather and, IT will be carrying the weight of the Wing. But, and it's a huge "BUT", if you're a "Jeep loving type" as many of us are, this remedy DOES NOT WORK. Iv'e not seen any Wings loaded on top of any Jeeps.

Now, a "Tandem dolly" has been suggested. Well, as the OP found out, it's PROHIBITED for any 4WD Jeep Wrangler to be transported, using a dolly. It specifically states in the Owners manual that the Jeep is to be either FLAT TOWED on all four or, put on a trailer. The design of the drive train does not allow for either set of wheels, front or back, to be in contact with the road while towing, as in a dolly. It's all or nothing.

4. A motorcycle lift on the back of a coach. That is a viable way of bringing along both the "Jeep" and the Wing, if:
A. Your coach can handle the added weight
B. You don't mind it (the bike) getting dirty in transit. (It can get real ugly, depending on the weather during transport)

It's all a matter of what's important to each individual or, couple that's facing the challenge. You simply decide what's the top priority or, just how much compromise you're willing to endure. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Hey fellow Jayhawker! I am a former motorcycle rider and will likely get another bike in the spring. Question, (I know you love the GW) have you considered something nearly half the weight that would be better slightly off road? We too enjoy the national parks and while there may not be off road riding available in parks there may be other opportunities around the parks. I'm not talking about rock crawling but more off the beaten path suitable for 2 up on something like an adventure bike. We found tons of stuff around Zion, Moab, and Yellowstone that was just incredible. For touring inside the parks bumper to bumper with everyone else any bike would do. The adventure bike seems like more of a multitasker. Just food for thought!
2014 KTM 1190 ADVENTURE R, price reduced !!

Had a V-Strom and loved it...Got a HD Road King and then my DW decided she would like to start riding with me...That lasted two years. Gone with the Road King and in with Lil' Red Riding Hood :-). Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481052717.992344.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	146125

We absolutely love our baby and really can not imagine traveling to all of these beautiful sites without her. I am hoping I come up with a viable solution. I want all of our toys to come with us on this journey..motorcycle, bicycles, kayaks, and Jeep. Just have to find what will work for us.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
If my comment was interpreted to indicate that the bike should be left in favor of the Jeep, the I apologize for the misunderstanding. I bought my first bike, a 1947 Harley, in 1957 when I was 18 and have not been without one since. I understand. The only point was that if a bike is your only transportation it may become uncomfortable if it rains a lot or is cold. Both a bike and covered, heated, off road capable vehicle would be ideal. I'm struggling with how to do this myself.

Steve
Old 12-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #38

This is how we roll over built motorcycle lift 07 Electra glide & 2001 wrangler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-05 11.25.55.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	614.9 KB
ID:	146140  
hd road king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #39

Gw on a trailer

We started with a 7x14 in closed trailer and took the wing trike every where and yes there were times when we unloaded in the rain. But its a bike thing put your rain gear on and your full face helmet crank up the tunes on the head set and ride. Well I can tell you how many times I had to hear about everywhere we go it rains from my wife. So we bought a jeep and took it out west for three months and believe it never rained one day the whole trip. Well I sold the 7x14 trailer and ordered a 6x12 Alum. trailer which should be here just after Christmas. The new trailer weighs in at 640 lbs. get to the camp and I can roll this thing every where. I'm having a canvas cover made to look like one of the covered wagons. I also have plans to mount a over head rack on it to put the bike cargo trailer over top of the bike for travel with fold away ramps. saw one of these up in Canada the fellow had speed boat over top a car on the same trailer. I love a project keeps the mind working.
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
If my comment was interpreted to indicate that the bike should be left in favor of the Jeep, the I apologize for the misunderstanding. I bought my first bike, a 1947 Harley, in 1957 when I was 18 and have not been without one since. I understand. The only point was that if a bike is your only transportation it may become uncomfortable if it rains a lot or is cold. Both a bike and covered, heated, off road capable vehicle would be ideal. I'm struggling with how to do this myself.

Steve
Not a bit. Meant simply to say what is said. You obviously understand because you are agonizing over taking the toys along. Fireup has posted a great post that gives the options and pitfalls.

There is something about the "freedom" of riding.

IMO the difficulties of the "downside" of taking a bike along are worth having the bike there. We pull a stacker. Not the perfect solution by a long ways but in spite of the difficulties it achieves the goal we want. We take two Gold Wings (one triked) and a SUV with us.

Little more planning for campgrounds, truck stops for fuel, some nights at Wal Mart enable us to enjoy our toys.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #41

I'm thinking the Jeep may be dolly towable with a disconnect, which would provide another option and allow the tandem dolly to be used. Otherwise, it looks like a trailer or lift.

Our Tracker does not have the dolly towing restriction, so it's a choice I'm considering. I already have a dolly, so I'm considering doing this to it;

Another option of downsizing the bike is a viable one, but I think the "Wing" would be missed. All bikes are not created equal and for touring they are among the best, IMHO. I have a Navy friend who, with his wife and pulling a trailer, rode one from SC to OR for six or seven years. They would visit other friends and see attractions along the way, spend a week or two with us in OR visiting and making whatever repairs were necessary, then return to SC. That would not be my cup of tea, but for day trips of up to several hundred miles it is good to have the storage capacity of a touring bike for whatever you may want to take along, riding gear, rain gear, food, drinks, etc.

We currently have two Honda CT 90s, one Honda S 90, and a Honda GL 500 Silverwing. We usually make a trip from OR to WV during summer with our RV and spend a month or so there. At different times I have trailered one or more of the bikes to WV when there was a car there I could borrow. Those times are gone and without having a car available I would not consider doing that again. I have experienced riding in the dark, in traffic, with rain pouring down causing poor traction and the visor fogged up on the inside with rain on the outside. My riding gear kept me dry, but the rest of it was the problem. I do not care for it.

I think there is a way to take both vehicles, we just have to find it.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 12-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #42

Contrary to what the Jeep manual says, the JK with the two speed transfer case can be towed successfully on a dolly. I did it with our 2010 JKU Rubicon for over 5000 miles with no issues. I knew what a dealer would tell me if I asked whether it could be towed on a dolly, so I posed the question to him differently. I said the front drive shaft was damaged and I had to remove it. I then asked if I could drive the JK with the front DS removed. Two different dealers said that it would not be a problem. Then I asked one of them to tell me the difference between driving with the front DS removed and towing it on a dolly with the TC in neutral. There was a silence and then he answered that there was no difference. That's when I stopped removing the rear drive shaft when towing it on the new Tandem Dolly I had. It worked well for the time I owned the JKU. This will not work on any full time TC. Only with the two speed one that has the 2wd option in high range.

Our enclosed trailer is the best option we have found. Our son does the same thing. Sometimes he brings a small Scion car with his rock crawler Jeep and other times takes his Harley. We have always found an RV park along our route to accommodate our 75' lengths. We have never had to unhook to fit in.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote