Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #43

We really don't miss having a car much. The few times we need one we just rent one. Last year we only rented one once for five days at $20/day when our grandson was born in Nashville. Still cheaper than having to deal with the expense and hassle of dragging one around everywhere.

The plus for us with an enclosed trailer with both bikes in it besides everything staying clean is when you do leave it at the campsite no one can see what's inside it. The extra storage space and racks on top also allow us to take the mountain bikes, canoe and kayaks, and what ever else we want to put in or on top of it.

We are planning an extended trip to the southwest and still will not drag a car along. We are much happier day touring on the bikes. I know it's hard for some people that don't ride to understand the love we have for touring on the bikes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
We are planning an extended trip to the southwest and still will not drag a car along. We are much happier day touring on the bikes. I know it's hard for some people that don't ride to understand the love we have for touring on the bikes.
That's great if all you want to see is on paved roads or do you take your cycles on gravel? The backroads of the Southwest is where a lot of beauty and neat attractions are. . . just a thought.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
That's great if all you want to see is on paved roads or do you take your cycles on gravel? The backroads of the Southwest is where a lot of beauty and neat attractions are. . . just a thought.
We take the bikes anywhere we'd drive a car.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
We take the bikes anywhere we'd drive a car.
Good for you. Some owners don't do gravel. Enjoy!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #48
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Contrary to what the Jeep manual says, the JK with the two speed transfer case can be towed successfully on a dolly. I did it with our 2010 JKU Rubicon for over 5000 miles with no issues. I knew what a dealer would tell me if I asked whether it could be towed on a dolly, so I posed the question to him differently. I said the front drive shaft was damaged and I had to remove it. I then asked if I could drive the JK with the front DS removed. Two different dealers said that it would not be a problem. Then I asked one of them to tell me the difference between driving with the front DS removed and towing it on a dolly with the TC in neutral. There was a silence and then he answered that there was no difference. That's when I stopped removing the rear drive shaft when towing it on the new Tandem Dolly I had. It worked well for the time I owned the JKU. This will not work on any full time TC. Only with the two speed one that has the 2wd option in high range.

Our enclosed trailer is the best option we have found. Our son does the same thing. Sometimes he brings a small Scion car with his rock crawler Jeep and other times takes his Harley. We have always found an RV park along our route to accommodate our 75' lengths. We have never had to unhook to fit in.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Quadratrac systems can also be towed this way. I drove my GC for 12K + miles without a front driveshaft. I rebuilt the transfer case on my GC and when it is in nuetral, there is nothing that would require the two driveshafts to spin togerther. They are both on completely different shafts and the rear shaft is the oil slinger.

I prefer more of an Adventure bike, as I tend to ride my bikes in places that most people wouldnt take thier Jeep Wrangler. Different strokes for different folks.

West of the Mississippi river, private campgrounds tend to be able to handle trailers. East of the Mississippi, takes a bit of better planning.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #49

I love to ride and RV. My solution to doing both was having a Blue Ox SC2000 Motorcycle carrier installed on the back of my FR3 motorhome. That BlueOx carrier is now on it's 3rd motorhome, Part of the deal in my next 2 motorhome purchases has been moving the bike carrier to the new coach. The SC2000 is rated to hold 1000 lbs and is no longer in production. I have a BMW R1200RT and while I like riding that bike there is no way I'm going to even try and get that on the back or a coach with a push up ramp. What I can push up the ramp is my 325 lbs KTM 690 Duke. Last year it was a KTM 390 Duke but a ride from Albuquerque to Santa Fe made me want more motor. The SC2000 requires welding to the frame to install and is very rigid once installed. It is also robust enough that I can attach a tow dolly to it and tow our Chevy Sonic. The SC2000, Duke and Sonic were all selected to compliment the F53 based Motorhome and allow me to take a car and bike with me whenever we take the coach. I'll be loading everything up next week for our annual FL trip and try and get some pics.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
I have a BMW R1200RT and while I like riding that bike there is no way I'm going to even try and get that on the back or a coach with a push up ramp. What I can push up the ramp is my 325 lbs KTM 690 Duke. Last year it was a KTM 390 Duke but a ride from Albuquerque to Santa Fe made me want more motor.
Several years ago I was going to trailer our GL500 Silverwing, which is about 500 lbs. from OR to WV and Oshkosh, WI to the aviation event on the way back. I was in the same boat in trying to figure out how to get it up the ramp. Our son, who is an avid dirt biker (on bikes that scare me), said watch this dad. He simply ran the thing up the ramp under its own power. Since then I've been doing the same thing.

On the other hand, we did watch the guy who was camping behind us at Oshkosh one year ride a new Harley up the ramp and onto his large trailer, and right on off the side. I think alcohol abuse was involved. :-(( It didn't hurt him much and did only a bit of external damage to the bike. Several of us pushed the bike onto the trailer while his wife, who was conveniently a doctor, attended his wounded body, and I would guess, pride.

The Silverwing works OK on gravel, it's the rain I don't like. We also have two Honda CT90s that are excellent on gravel, but not so much for the road. I can carry them on the front and back of the Tracker toad.

Happy riding.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote