Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #15

Ahhhhhhh its the law of physics they all get pushed just the DP's to a lesser degree due to weight, more stable platform and better suspension.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #16

Not sure if on your chassis but someone makes a better idler arm for some workhorse chassis. It tightens up the front steering.

Here is a web site.
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Idler-Pitman-Arms
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #17

Going with the others it's not a problem in our coach.

Now I can sometimes feel when a semi is getting close as air flow changes. Does not really affect me unless it is in a strong cross wind and semi is affecting that air flow. I would be concerned if I could not feel a change most of the time. I like and expect some feedback from anything I drive. Perhaps I am more aware than some others though. I know at times in autos with wife following I've know when road was getting slick and she could not feel it (even when we switched cars).

Tom
Old 07-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
Ahhhhhhh its the law of physics they all get pushed just the DP's to a lesser degree due to weight, more stable platform and better suspension.
X2. I have driven empty chip truck B trains and also full ones. They are 13 ft. high and big boxes. You certainly can feel it pushing around when empty, but loaded at max GVW (160,000 pounds) they are solid as a rock. So you will never have the solid feel of a heavier rig.
That said, have a good front end shop check your alignment, you might get a very pleasant surprise after a good set by a knowledgeable front end man.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #19

My 35' Excursion (diesel) was a horror to drive. Bumps in the road seemed like land mines going off under me and wind, cars and trucks passing would blow me all over the road. My 40' Discovery is much better to drive. More stable, less susceptible to getting pushed around. You still can feel a truck when it passes your rear quarter, but ists much less pronounced. I think it's a combination of weight, suspension and wheelbase.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not sure if on your chassis but someone makes a better idler arm for some workhorse chassis. It tightens up the front steering.

Here is a web site.
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Idler-Pitman-Arms

Well. Looking at the description this addresses a lot of what I'm feeling. The steering just feels sloppy. I took it to be normal on these big buses.

Might give this a shot.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
My 35' Excursion (diesel) was a horror to drive. Bumps in the road seemed like land mines going off under me and wind, cars and trucks passing would blow me all over the road. My 40' Discovery is much better to drive. More stable, less susceptible to getting pushed around. You still can feel a truck when it passes your rear quarter, but ists much less pronounced. I think it's a combination of weight, suspension and wheelbase.

Land mines... LOL. That's a great way to describe what my coach feels like.

Also, do the diesels have all the squeaks in the dash when going over bumps and washboards?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Visit a dealer and test drive a DP yourself. You well may be convinced on that first experience. We drove several DP coaches in our switch from gasser to DP. We loved the gasser and knew we wanted to stay in a Class A but we were convinced after those test drives. So we made the switch.
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDALHB View Post
Visit a dealer and test drive a DP yourself. You well may be convinced on that first experience. We drove several DP coaches in our switch from gasser to DP. We loved the gasser and knew we wanted to stay in a Class A but we were convinced after those test drives. So we made the switch.

That is exactly what I don't want to do. Right now ignorance is bliss. I bought this coach planning on keeping it for 3 years and upgrading to a DP. I don't want to know first hand what I'm missing. Lol

Would like to make this gasser more enjoyable for the next few years with some chasis upgrades. We love the house itself. Just getting to camp is the pain if it's a long trek.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Sometimes tires and tire pressure can have positive or negative effect on driveability. If you know the weight of your axles you can adjust tire pressure to optimum levels. Too high a pressure can make the tires react to directional changes more abruptly.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My CC weighs 46,700#'s empty and probably 50,000 loaded and has a tag. Not much of anything moves it around when on the road!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #26

My light DP at around 21,000 lbs is super stable on the road and a pleasure to drive. Mine is lightly loaded for the suspension it's built on but still works great.
LPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Sorry but I can't believe some of these answers. Now we need to move on to who gets the best fuel mileage
Old 07-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #28

My little gasser used to get pushed around real bad by semis. Did three things that each helped, now I can drive one handed with a minor push.

1. Rear track bar.
2. CHF
3. Adjust toe in 1/8"

Each was a noticeable improvment. The toe in might have been the biggest for lane keeping.

Tags
diesel, gas