Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2022, 11:47 AM   #1

Do you do a AIR BRAKE TEST? Do you know how too?

Do you do a AIR BRAKE TEST? Do you know how too?

I admit I have been lazy and do not do it very often but I should do it every time before driving. Today while the engine was off while doing other things I touched the brakes and heard a continuous air sound. That is bad. You should not hear air when holding the brake at a steady pressure. I would not hear this with the engine running.

So what are the numbers?

Max pres (governor turn off pressure)?
Max leakage, no brake?
Max leakage with brake?
Warning light pressure?
Automatic parking brake activation pressure?
Minimum governor kick in pressure?
Compressor pressure build rate?

Do you actually know how the air brake system works? Did you know they are called spring brakes?
Test yourself

How to do a air brake test CDL
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2022, 12:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't do a brake test every time I start up, but I do one at the beginning of any trip and every couple of weeks otherwise. Doing a brake test in a RV park in the morning would get some interesting stares.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:40 PM   #3

Yes. I have posted the procedure several times on this forum. Like Lt Dan I don't do it in the campsite but at a suitable location away from other campers as soon as practicable.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:16 PM   #4

Lt. Dan X3. A few years ago I was getting ready to leave our winter park and the man beside me was towing a 5er with a HDT, he asked me this question so I explained I would do the test after pulling out of the RV site down at the hookup area, then told him how I understand the procedure.(I have a printed sheet in the MH)

He shook my hand and congratulated me for being safety minded.

Even many MH drivers do not realize a vehicle with properly working air brakes requires more stopping distance than hydraulic brakes due to air pressure delay.
reference:https://trucksmart.udot.utah.gov/stopping-distances/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:22 PM   #5

Originally posted by gpounder

Do you actually know how the air brake system works? Did you know they are called spring brakes?

I am curious as to why you think the air brake system is called spring brakes?
Old 07-31-2022, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post

Ya, the SERVICE BRAKES/brake pedal are air applied.

The parking/emergency brake is spring applied, air released.

So you have BOTH.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:04 PM   #7

And spring brakes are only on drive axles.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:59 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, as a school bus driver I must perform the brake test before picking up students. The spring brake test was not required for a few years in the past, bit it is back in force at this time. We also have to perform a hydraulic test if so equipped. Actually we have to perform
a complete documented pre-trip.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post

This will fully explain everything about an air brake system: Bendix Air Brake handbook.

I have never understood why anyone in my state can buy/operate a 50,000# MH with air brakes, yet know nothing about maintaining/testing the air-powered braking system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:13 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've owned a DP since 2005 and I've never done a brake check. I know how to do it but have never seen the need. I know my coach; I know how it airs up and tanks fill. I know when the brakes release and if there is an issue. If there are no issues during start up, I don't do anything else to check. Not one brake issue in 18 years.

There are tractor trailers where a commercial driver is connecting to a trailer he has never seen or used before. They have a need to do a brake check as the condition of the trailer is unknown. We aren't driving or connecting to unknow vehicles, they're our personal vehicles that you know their condition and you KNOW when something odd occurs during start up or first movement.

I know many say they do it, but in 50 plus years or RVing, I never seen it done ONCE at a campground. Maybe they're doing it in secret, under the cover of darkness.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've owned a DP since 2005 and I've never done a brake check. I know how to do it but have never seen the need. I know my coach; I know how it airs up and tanks fill. I know when the brakes release and if there is an issue. If there are no issues during start up, I don't do anything else to check. Not one brake issue in 18 years.

There are tractor trailers where a commercial driver is connecting to a trailer he has never seen or used before. They have a need to do a brake check as the condition of the trailer is unknown. We aren't driving or connecting to unknow vehicles, they're our personal vehicles that you know their condition and you KNOW when something odd occurs during start up or first movement.

I know many say they do it, but in 50 plus years or RVing, I never seen it done ONCE at a campground. Maybe they're doing it in secret, under the cover of darkness.
Sorry to hear that.

2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #12

Unfortunately in Pa we have a class B motorhome endorsement. I took it 4 years ago and the first thing they ask is to do a brake test. It is an automatic fail if can't. At that point there was no criteria for the endorsement so I did not know the correct protocol and failed. learned it in 5 minutes (online and part of any commercial test) and passed it the second time. The major item he looked for was the activation of the emergency at 30 psi.
wlw209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:00 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
If you don't know what a DOT air brake or leak down test is or don't do one you have no business driving an air brake vehicle.

Unfortunately, most have no clue and really shouldn't be on the road.
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
If you don't know what a DOT air brake or leak down test is or don't do one you have no business driving an air brake vehicle.

Unfortunately, most have no clue and really shouldn't be on the road.
Next time you're camping, please feel free to take a photo or even better, a video of all those doing an air brake check before they depart.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, brake, test